“Good service but average food”

French Market Restaurant
Ranked #114 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Twelve years before Andrew Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans, The French Market Restaurant & Bar began serving outstanding seafood and ice-cold drinks to visitors and natives alike. Today the ambience remains the same. Hot spicy crawfish, jumbo gulf shrimp, authentic Creole gumbo, red beans and rice as well as real Louisiana specialties are enjoyed with world-famous hurricanes, Cajun bloody Mary's, margaritas and our ice-cold local beers. Join the Marullo Family and Chef David Picou in savoring our grand traditions!
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We ordered pre dinner drinks and really didn't like the plastic cups they arrived in. Don't think I have ever had a cocktail in a plastic cup. Food was lots of creamy pasta with some minor pieces of blackened chicken which was very basic and tasteless. Good service with pleasant waiters. Wouldn't go back.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

The boil in the window looks and smells so good as you pass by, you must enter. But then the actual food served doesn't live up to the expectation. It's meh. Service OK. Typical New Orleans tourist trap. I ate here because I was hungry, not in search of fine food.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Glad I stopped in! Sat at bar and had a cup of gumbo, char-grilled garlic oysters, and a local draft beer. Absolutely delicious. Great staff. Bartender was helpful and really funny. Will definitely return.

1  Thank MONIKA W
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Oh my gosh. I cannot say enough about the seafood here. Mom and I smelled the amazing scent of spicy crawfish from blocks away and we just had to find it. We wandered in, were immediately sat by a very friendly server. We ordered a dozen raw oysters to split and 3 pounds of crawfish. We are from the MS and LA border, so we are no fools to Cajun spices. Those oysters are the best I have EVER had. So fresh, so briny, and.. I can't describe it. They must have their own secret place to find oysters. We also had marvelous oyster shots, they were too spicy for Mom but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I LOVE this place. It is now one of our regular eating places when we visit each year. Give it a shot and take a shot!

1  Thank Katherine Q
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We walked in after walking past the open window of the crab boil. I had my first taste of a po boy and the shrimp in it was incredible. Next time I visit, I will definitely be stopping back here. As you walk in... You get nailed with a great smell of seafood.