“Fresh seafood done right!”

French Market Restaurant
Ranked #114 of 1,946 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Twelve years before Andrew Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans, The French Market Restaurant & Bar began serving outstanding seafood and ice-cold drinks to visitors and natives alike. Today the ambience remains the same. Hot spicy crawfish, jumbo gulf shrimp, authentic Creole gumbo, red beans and rice as well as real Louisiana specialties are enjoyed with world-famous hurricanes, Cajun bloody Mary's, margaritas and our ice-cold local beers. Join the Marullo Family and Chef David Picou in savoring our grand traditions!
mandeville, la
“Fresh seafood done right!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'm from New Orleans but never ate here until last weekend...always assumed it was a tourist trap or that it wasn't good since I've never heard anyone mention it. However, it was great. The place itself is kind of dirty...sticky floors, flies, etc. and the service a little unorganized, but the food was delicious. We had the barbeque shrimp, oyster poboys, red beans, and gumbo and did not have one complaint! The prices were very reasonable, especially for being in the Quarter! I will recommend to my friends and I can't wait to go back. I want to try the muffaletta!

• Korean first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Good Food, Great Bartender”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Ate here one evening, while wandering the French Quarter. As I was alone, I ate at the bar. The bartender, Alan I believe, was the most informative bar keep I have ever talked to. He loved to talk about New Orleans, and when I asked about Absinthe, I got an incredibly detailed history. From its beginnings in France, to its banning, to its ingredients, to which is good and those that are not. He even had some of the best (from France) locked away behind the bar, which he brought out. At $ 30.00 per drink, however, I passed on it. And the food is good, too. All and all, a very nice place.

Visited October 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“We loved it.”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We sat at the oyster bar and tried the oysters and boiled shrimp---the guy behind there was very courteous and friendly. I can honestly say that this was the best seafood we had in the French Quarter. I think that this was the 5th day of trying different places out and we just stopped in---the oysters were excellent and while I'm pretty certain that they're sourced from the same supplier as every other restaurant in the quarter, ours had no shell fragments in any of them---good shucking! The highlight was the boiled shrimp---it was, in fact, the best tasting shrimp we had in NOLA and we were there trying all of the restaurants for a week. Very tasty and we received it fresh from the boil---it had a spice to it that made me want more right away. As for the comments on the cleanliness of the place.....we didn't find it that bad. No, we wouldn't be wearing our best clothes in there, but really, there's not many place in the French Quarter you would wear your best for dining anyways. We'll definitely go back to try the shrimp again and hope that it's as good as the first time.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Filthy and could care less”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went there and was given water from a filthy pitcher. For this we received an unemotional apology and two bottles of water. Had the attitude that this place is in the French Quarter, tourist area, 1000 block of Decatur, your unhappy here's your water, pay your bill, we will still have people coming in... The restaurant made no attempt to try to get us to return another time. We paid for the soft shell crab seafood platter, which is listed at $28.00 on the menu. So angry didn't realize they charged $30.00 for platter, before taxes... We asked for the manager but after 15 minutes of waiting we had to find the manager. Also had a lackadaisical attitude about our poor experience and seemed that she could care less if we returned or not. Such a shame we are local and I'm embarrassed that visitors to our city may have to experience this...

“Best food and service!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here twice on our last visit to New Orleans. They had the best Low Country boil I've ever had. The shrimp were enormous. We also tried the gumbo, green tomatoes, fried platter and bread pudding. Everything was delicious! The wait staff was very nice. We will return on our next visit!