“Helpful staff and more great food”

French Market Restaurant
Ranked #115 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Twelve years before Andrew Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans, The French Market Restaurant & Bar began serving outstanding seafood and ice-cold drinks to visitors and natives alike. Today the ambience remains the same. Hot spicy crawfish, jumbo gulf shrimp, authentic Creole gumbo, red beans and rice as well as real Louisiana specialties are enjoyed with world-famous hurricanes, Cajun bloody Mary's, margaritas and our ice-cold local beers. Join the Marullo Family and Chef David Picou in savoring our grand traditions!
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The staff here was excellent. My waitress taught me how to eat crawfish and just was very nice. We loved this place. Bathrooms were upstairs, but that is to be expected in the older building.s

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The balcony overlooking the street is nice to catch the street music.
Food so-so... The alligator tail was actually better than expected, the rest just average. The service is unequal.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I decided to give this restaurant a try as I was walking to the French maket. The raw oysters and fresh boiled crawfish caught my eye. I do have to saw some of the best crawfish since I've been in New Orleans. Service was okay.. I had a much better conversation and time with the oyster shucker than my waitress. I don't really remember her name, she had blonde hair and was very skinny. In my 45 minutes that I was there it seemed as though she was more interested in getting her fellow employees in trouble than anything. Next time maybe I think she shouldn't handle these things at the host stand.. people come to New Orleans for a good time and great food not to hear your server tattling on her coworkers.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I ate here with a very large group (12 total) and they handled it very well even though it was during Jazzfest. I had the raw oysters and some friends got the boiled crawfish which were all good. I ordered the crab cakes which had a nice flavor but they were barely warm when they arrived at the table. The sides that came with it were pretty good though. I tried a few dishes around me and found them to be flavorful and spicy with large portion sizes. It wasn't the best meal in New Orleans but it was good (especially for a group) with a little something for everyone and large enough portions to share.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were in New Orleans on foot and trying to stay off the main drag of party-goers, so we ducked into the French Market Restaurant, which was more of a sports bar. The service was okay, but the food was mediocre at best, and there was way too much of the filler. Neither of us could finish what we were given, but left unsatisfied. Such a waste of time and money.