New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #43 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Marriott”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a nice Marriott. The rooms are clean and well-appointed. They are a little on the smaller side, but not too small.

The restaurant in the hotel is good, but not great. However, the hotel is walking distance to many excellent restaurants, my favorite being Annunciation. There is also a full Starbucks in the lobby.

The location is great. If you are in town for a convention, this is directly across from the convention center. It is about a mile walk to French Quarter or a quick taxi ride. My colleague and I walked to both the Riverwalk, the casino and the mall several times.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
OpsManagerMCC, Director of Hotel Operations at New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Amywhetzel,

I'm sorry to hear about your opinion of our restaurant. We are working very hard to create a consistent experience focused on service and quality food. As you mentioned in your review, we are conveniently located to some of the best local restaurants New Orleans has to offer. The Warehouse District has become a hot spot for new restaurants with some of the best local chefs. Annunciation is one of the newest additions to the neighborhood.

We look forward to having you as our guests next time you visit New Orleans and I hope you give us another chance to show you how great our restaurant really is.

Paul Reggio
Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I apologize for the lengthy review, but I want to cover everything fairly.

I just came back from New Orleans, which happened to be a pretty crazy week. There were the Spring Break crowds competing with several large conventions and trade shows, so the hotels across the city had been sold out for months in advance. I was lucky to find a spot at the Marriott and was grateful for it. I had my agency confirm a late check-in, but I was still a little nervous since I knew the hotels would be at capacity and so I called to confirm while en route to New Orleans. When I arrived, I was told that unfortunately there were no rooms available for the night BUT I would be put in the Presidential Suite for no cost. I agreed and Darious at the Front Desk was relieved and thanked me profusely before slipping it in that I wasn't in the bedroom portion of the suite, but a rollaway bed would be provided and at check-out time the next day (when the current guest would be leaving), I would be given the bedroom side of the suite as well. I was agreeable to all of that and since it was late, I just wanted to get to my room. When I arrived, the housekeeping staff were in there setting it up and so I had to stand and wait in the hallway for another 10 minutes or so while they brought in linens and set up the bed. It turns out that I was in the living room/dining room portion of the suite, which surprisingly had a little closet and small (tiny!) shower so at least I had the basic amenities for one night. The rollaway bed was miserable and I ended up moving the linens to the couch and sleeping there. Since I am a petite lady, it wasn't a problem but had I been taller than 5 feet, I wouldn't have been able to stretch out on the couch.

In the morning, I called the Front Desk [note: the speed dial buttons on the phones do not work] to confirm that it would be ok for me to leave my luggage in the room and was advised that I should bring it down to the bell desk and it would be moved to my room when it was ready. I did just that and the manager greeted me to thank me for being flexible and confirmed again that I would not be charged for my room and she offered to upgrade my Marriott Rewards account with a generous bonus. I was satisfied with that and left for the day for my meetings. When I came back to the hotel that evening, it seemed that everyone on staff had been alerted to my presence and everyone knew my name and made extra sure that I was happy. They did a good job at the customer service. However, when I picked up my keys I was NOT given the Presidential Suite bedroom, but instead moved to a room on the 4th floor. I'm not a picky traveler, so I didn't fuss about not getting the Presidential bedroom. But it should be said that the 4th floor is NOISY – or at least has the potential to be. The walls are incredibly thin – I heard EVERY word of my neighbor's conversations (on both sides) as well as music from the group above (who also had a balcony and were using it to party). My immediate neighbors were fellow business travelers, so I could readily hear them (even with my TV on) talking on the phone and arranging meetings and such, but I can't imagine what it would have been like if they were the party people in the rooms above mine. It would have been too loud to sleep.

Overall, it's a lovely and well-kept property. I even saw the cleaning staff hand-washing the ceilings in the lobby one night! There is a lot of attention to detail in the common spaces. While my room was not dirty by any means, there were indications that it wasn't as clean as it could have been. For example, there were rhinestones on the floor of my bathroom. Obviously, not a sanitation issue, but the fact that they remained there for 4 more days indicates that the floors were not swept or mopped prior to my arrival, nor were they cleaned during my stay. I truly do understand how difficult the job is for Housekeeping and I do not mean to criticize, but instead to encourage management to allow for more time for room cleaning so that things like sanitizing the floors (which is important!) can be done more frequently.

As I said before, the staff was wonderful to me – since I was a "guest of note" because of the room incident at check in, so I was treated like a rock star. I noticed most other guests getting the same type of treatment. The only exception would be the valet staff. Since I had a car parked with them, I saw them daily and they got to know me a bit and were courteous. However, they were pretty vocal and up-front about gratuities, more so with other customers than with me. Multiple times, I heard them comment on the amount of gratuity received so that the customer could definitely overhear - and even address the customer directly with a request for a larger tip. Things like "$3? You should tip me more than $3 just to call you a cab. If I go get your car, it should be triple!" Which was rude, of course, but also $3 is a pretty reasonable valet tip (especially since their lot was next to the hotel so they weren't going far or, honestly, doing anything that you couldn't do yourself – a valet tip is generally $2-$5). I only had one "incident" with one of the valet drivers who brought me my car one morning and I was out of cash. He wasn't on duty when I returned in the evening and I didn't see him again until I was checking out to leave. He actually approached me to remind me that he had gotten my car the day before and mentioned that 'it would be nice' if I would show him my appreciation for his work. I was surprised that he was so forward about asking for tips, but since I did kind of "owe" him for yesterday's pick-up, I did give him a few dollars.

At check-out, I had to stop by the front desk to have the room charge for the Presidential Suite corrected (I was billed for it, after all) and the Front Desk person was very helpful and even offered to buy me a Starbucks coffee (available in the lobby) for my trouble.

Altogether, it was a nice property and I enjoyed my stay and the staff treated me nicely. I appreciate that the hotel comp'd my room in the Presidential living room, however I was traveling for business so they saved my company money and I did not get any compensation for my PERSONAL inconvenience. To date, I have not received the Reward Points or upgrades that I was promised. Admittedly, it was not terrible to have to sleep on the couch, but a lot of that is due to the fact that I am flexible and easy-going and short enough to be comfortable on the couch, since the rollaway bed really was too uncomfortable to sleep on (my fellow travelers all said that they would have raised a ruckus or changed hotels). I probably would consider staying at this property again, but only if I was guaranteed the room type that I booked or placed on a Premier level floor, which would hopefully be less noisy than the 4th floor.

Room Tip: 4th floor has thin walls - bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper and plan to keep the TV on...
Fayetteville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you are cruising out of NOLA, then this is the place to be. Convenient to the Julia Street entrance.Additionally if you are int eh city for business or pleasure this is a pretty good location.

Not too far from Harrah's and the Riverwalk.

Beds comfortable. Two standout staff members, Parker at the front desk and Nikia from Housekeeping, made my stay quite enjoyable. Tia at the FD was nice, but could certainly use a little pep in her step as Marriott Reward Members are accustomed to a friendly and engaging smile.

Their social media department is helpful and they are quite the responder. I am disappointed that even gen mem MRMs are not entitiled to free in-room wifi access and one must go to the lobby for the free access. It really is not the best picture for arriving guest. It looks like the entire lobby is a "Starbucks" as opposed to the Starbucks that is located on site.

Gym has just enough equipment to get a decent workout in; however the weight machine really could use an update!

Parking....valet $31, self parking (just ahead under the neon Parking sign in a garage)..just a short walk up for $20.

All in all, a pretty good stay!

Room Tip: Accessible rooms are at the end of each floor near the stairwells. Spacious, but when the AC cranks...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was fortunate enough to stay in the Presidential Suite, which made my stay particularly nice. Smallish pool, nice workout room, and great hospital suite with friendly staff and tasty food. My business was at the convention center and the hotel is right across the street (caution: there isn't a pedestrian friendly way to get from the hotel to the convention center). It's a bit too far to the French Quarter to walk it (in my opinion) but the doorman and bell staff are on their game and had taxis for me at a moment's notice. There's a corner grocery nearby, which was really convenient.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you are attending an event at the Ernest Morial Convention Center, the front door of the Marriott puts you directly across the street from the entrance to the "Great Hall". Perfect for conventioneers. Be aware, the hotel has a different personality during the week vs on the weekend - far more of a party hotel as the weekend approaches. I was there 5 nights, arrived Mon, departed Sat. Mon-Wed were beautifully quiet but sleep was difficult on Thurs and Fri nights due to noisy neighbors. I found this strange as the hotel is not ideally situated for partiers but as it was St. Patty's Day weekend hotels closer to the French Quarter may've been booked solid.

I'd read the reviews before going and knew cleanliness was noted to be a problem by some, so perhaps I paid extra attention to this area; it's true housekeeping is not great here. My room clearly hadn't been vacuumed when I checked in, both the cabinet top in the bathroom and the base of one bedside lamp were strangely sticky, and one morning I accidentally broke my eyeliner in the sink and left a bit of a mess, which was not rinsed out when the room was cleaned that day. There was a large, old stain on the curtain, near the armchair, presumably spilled coffee. What mattered most to me was very clean: bed, shower, bathroom floor.

Staff is a mixed bag. Some are kind and friendly, others act like you're bothering them. There is no binder detailing hotel services in the room here, when I called down to ask about a room service menu I was told a manilla card was on the table in front of the window - the front desk staff insisted repeatedly it was there and finally, grudgingly, agreed to send up another when I stated it was not.

The fitness center is open 24 hours and quite nice, with two ellipticals, a recumbent bike, a treadmill, a few weight machines, freeweights and a mirrored mat area with an exercise ball. The pool deck is lovely but the pool itself is not well cleaned - though I was here in March and perhaps it's kept up better in summer. The pool is rather small and narrow. There is no hot tub.

I never did order room service (expensive!) or any in-hotel restaurants. There is a starbucks in the lobby, but in-room coffee is fine. Within a block of the hotel, there is a small convenience store, a Subway, and a place called Oso's which is like Qdoba or Chipotle, just not a chain. West of the hotel, in the Julia St/Fulton St area are many nicer eateries. Other in-room amenities include an easy-to-use alarm clock, hairdryer, iron, and safe. Toiletries are from Bath and Body Works and very useable.

My biggest beef with the stay were the noise some nights and the toilet paper, which was industrial grade and not soft at all! Best part of the stay is the location. If I attend another event at the convention center, I would stay here again.

1 Thank K C
Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at this property, one of which was a rewards night. Easy to find off the I10 and I was somewhat surprise at the ease of finding a parking place right outside the front door to register. The street its on was not that busy anytime I was there, it might be different when there is a cruise ship in port. I then used the valet parking option, although there was a cheaper self parking option which is a block away.

The room was nice and had a safe, which I like, but unfortunately overlooked a wall so no view. I did not complain because I checked in early and it was the only one available and it was therefore my choice to have it so I could get out amd about quickly rather stand around waiting. I used the concierge lounge and was very disappointed with the selection at breakfast, but in the evenings I couldn't find the usual evening fare found in Marriott properties of this standard which was very, very disappointing.

Has a very very small pool on the 3rd floor with a few sun loungers, which I didn't use but would guess it might be a nice quite place to rest in the summer when the temp's are much higher with humidity to match.

I found the staff was very helpful and friendly.

The walk to downtown took less than 10 minutes to where the trams in Canal street can be boarded to all the destinations. I would definately recommend purchasing the all day pass at $3.00 as this allows you to hop on and hop off all day.

Access to the French Market is easy using the Riverfront tram which if you want you can actually catch a five minute walk from the hotel at the Julia Street stop.

I felt safe walking back and forth to the hotel, even at night. Its well lit and wide with quite a few people walking about as there are a couple of hotels pass the Marriott; Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn. There also appeared to be a Hertz car rental facility almost next door.

One day I visited the Mardi Gras World where they make the floats and figures for the parades which was worth it, cost $19, and was only about a 25 minute walk from the hotel turning right as you leave the main entrance on Convention Centr Blvd instead of left for downtown. I understand Mardi Gras World do offer a shuttle service if requested. However, if I hadn't walked I would have missed the sculpture that has been created to honor the New Orlean people affected by the tragic events of Hurricane Katrina, its a Scraphouse, made from cut up steel drums and wood. This sculpture is less than 5 minutes from the hotel and is well worth a look.

If you are attending a Convention or planning to go on a cruise this hotel is a must as it simply a walk across the street. I would also highly recommend it for any stay in New Orleans as it is close to both the downtown attractions, riverfront and trams.

Room Tip: Room 817 has no view so if you want to look out at a view then I suggest you ask the question at rec...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Buffalo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We arrived at 11:30PM to find out that our room had been given away.
I had called Marriott reservations several days before arriving to shorten my stay and to request 2 dbl beds. They only had the old reservation in the system. Unfortunately, I did not keep the confirmation number as I've never had this happen before. (Lesson learned).
Walked next door to Hyatt Place--less expensive and very welcoming!