“Convenient location to Convention Center - yes, but average hotel”

New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #51 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Based largely on the fact that the convention we were attending was right across the street, we selected this Marriott Hotel. It was very convenient to the Convention Center, but when we compared our experiences with friends staying at other nearby hotels we questioned whether it was worth the convenience.

Check in was efficient and friendly. Because we are Rewards members, we received a special gift of two small water bottles and a Map of downtown New Orleans. I used that map quite a bit, as it was better than anything else I could find. The water bottles, though, were not special, as the concierge refrigerators were stocked with the same water bottles for free.

We tried to upgrade to a room near or on the concierge level (3rd floor in this hotel), but with no rooms available on that floor we ended up on the top floor. The front desk clerk made a point of telling me that I had a great view on that floor (15th), but all we had was a view of another part of the hotel.

As other reviews have mentioned, the decor in this hotel is a bit "tired." While it was well maintained, it has passed its prime. Yes, the TV is a large CRT, but it works. My wife had a small issue with the bathtub, as it slowly let the water out after being filled. We could live with all that.

The concierge lounge looks OK, but the food and the staff make it outstanding. Staying there for 5 nights meant that we used that lounge once and sometimes twice a day. As a result, we got to know the staff well and sample the food regularly. The offerings changed daily, and they often reflected the cuisine of New Orleans. The staff kept the place clean, and on more than one occasion they had to step in to ensure that only guests who had paid for the privilege of having access to the lounge got to use the lounge. I saw one large group of tourists attempt to come into the lounge with one hotel guest. The concierge staff on duty that day quickly surmised the situation and took care of it. She didn't scream at them or hustle them out rudely; instead, she gently explained why they couldn't come into the lounge and offered that the hotel bar was a much better place for this group of 20 people to relax. They left with no fuss. Great employees!

Yes, parking is expensive, but that is the going rate for most parking garages in the area. That's the issue - they charge as if they are in competition with the area parking garages. In checking I found that other hotels in the area don't charge as much, and they are closer to the tourist areas of the French Quarter and the casino.

And while parking is expensive, the valet staff is superb. They were very friendly and efficient, which says a lot given how busy they were with two conventions going on across a busy street (and the hotel was booked solid). During one of the days there we decided to take a trip to Biloxi, and the valet staff told us of several places to check out over there. That's pleasantly surprising, since Biloxi is 90 minutes away.

The French Quarter is about a 20 minute walk away, and given the heat and humidity while we were there we used taxis several times to go to that part of the city. We had no problems getting taxis in the front of the hotel.

Overall the staff here was good, and the stay was nice enough. When compared to other Marriott properties, however, this place is average. There are other Marriott properties within a few blocks of this place, and they were obviously newer. This hotel needs a serious makeover. If they can do that and keep the same staff, then this hotel could be above average.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Wolfpack81

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Stayed here on a business trip. Most polite, professional staff of any hotel I've ever been. Every staff I encountered said hello and asked how I was, how things were.

Rooms are nicely decorated, have an armchair w/ottoman and a very comfortable bed. Only complaint is that one of the adjoining doors was no more than a foot away from the head of my bed, and I could hear every word my neighbor was saying when he was close to the door. His phone conversation went on for quite some time while I was trying to sleep. I finally had to get up and turn on the tv to drown him out. If this sort of thing bothers you, I'd recommend asking for a room at the end of a hallway.

There's a Starbucks in the lobby. Also had room service and the food was excellent. Swimming pool is a lap pool. Also have a hot tub.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank dan23Florida
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Just came home from a fantastic long weekend in New Orleans. We really enjoyed this hotel. Checked in and was greeted by personable bellhop and friendly staff. I was about to purchase a toothbrush and shaving cream in the lobby store, but then she offered it to me complimentary. How nice! Our room was splendid and exactly what we asked for. The maid service kept it very clean daily, and restocked our bathroom with ample towels. Location was good, and we walked everywhere in the beautiful weather.

There were only two downsides to our stay, but they were not that big of a deal. We wanted to enjoy the pool, but there was barely any pool to enjoy. There was barely any deck to enjoy. We were really dissapointed and we walked back to our room with sad-faces.

Monday morning there was construction noises coming from within the hotel from 6:45am-8:00am and ruined our sleep.

Other than the two minor issues, we had a great trip, we thought the Marriott was totally worth what we paid, and we will probably lean towards more Marriot brand hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Sign up for Marriott rewards points.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LSchultz83
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Though we travel quite a bit for business, this was our first stay in New Orleans and at this hotel. We were a little worried about what we'd find in NOLA, but both the city and this hotel surprised us. Staff here were on top of their game - very friendly, helpful, and anticipating your needs without seeming wooden or overly trained. Room was clean, spacious, and well appointed. Bed was very good. Bar was friendly, and Wolfe's Grille was consistent and several steps above the average hotel restaurant. Try the Creole Gumbo. For a convention, location cannot be beat - directly across from main entrance to hall. Well designed outdoor lap pool and deck with a view.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I used to reside in the Warehouse District so I enjoy the area and was lucky enough to find this property through Priceline. Jazzfest was going on so all rates were jacked up throughout the city. However, I was able to secure a room here at a decent price. About a month earlier I had stayed at Hilton Garden Inn and I have no issues with that property and see my review for the Hilton Garden Inn for specifics. However, I may have to lean towards the Marriott for overall location and experience. We did not have time to check out the pool, so I cannot comment on that. However, its an easy walk to many nice restaurants and bars. If you've never stayed in the Warehouse District, I recommend it. A little note, since I knew the area and the parking rules, I was able to pull around back to a metered spot right outside the back door. I was closer than the car would be if Valeted and I didnt have to pay $30. Remember, in Nola, parking meters are no longer enforced after 6 PM. So, if you arrive on Saturday and don't feel like paying $30 extra to park, find one of these spots, they're readily available until evening when the crowds come. As for the room itself, it was nice, about what one would expect at a 3.5 star level. Bar/lounge was sufficient and quiet. If you go for a convention, its right across the street from the Convention Center, so you could not beat the location. Overall, I was very happy!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jeffv216
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Spent a lovely weekend at the Marriott Convention Center Hotel. Arrived at about 2:30pm on a Friday, got checked in quickly. Received a executive king room that was spacious and offered a nice view of the Riverwalk across the street. The room was cleaned to perfection when we arrived and each day that we stayed. The hotel is very quiet dispite it being on a main strip. There is a Starbucks in the lobby as well as a hotel restaurant for the guests convenience. The major plus here for me was that the hotel is in walking distance to the French Quarter as well as the Canal St streetcar. My only complaint is that parking at this hotel is non-existent. The hotel offeres valet for about $31 dollars a day...with in and out privileges. If you choose not to utilize the parking, there are lots in the area, but they dont offer the option to come and go without having to pay. Street parking is available, but spaces are hard to come by. All in all, the hotel is awesome and you cant beat the location!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shawn P
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We wouldn't have stayed at this property for the lack of a lounge, but being it was a weekend and the lounge wouldn't have been open at the other properties, we took the chance.

So we check in at 1:30 am, Heather was great, she got us checked in, top floor, end of a hall, view of the river and the distant french quarter. And then delivered a porta crib to us @ 2am. Then delivered sheets and a blanket too.

We went out for lunch so didn't try the food at the in house place. Spent a day with family. When we arrived back to the hotel, again late, about 10pm. Who should come out and greet us with a cart for our stuff, Heather.

After another hard day of family and weddings, we came back to no Heather, her day off, but the remarkable door man greeted us by name.

In a city that honors service as an industry, you expect a certain level. This property exceeded all of that expectation.

You have a lot of Marriott choices in NOLA, The Marriott is big and loud and crowded, The JW is small and loud and crowded, marriott Convention Center was small, quiet and welcoming. Give it a chance.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family