“Do the "Breakfast and a Tour" program!”

Edgar Degas House Creole Impressionist Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Edgar Degas House Impressionist Tour in New...
Ranked #117 of 384 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Once Home to the French Impressionist Edgar Degas, the Degas House Historic Home, Courtyard & Inn is a master-piece of history and hospitality. It is the only home or studio of Degas anywhere in the world that is open to the public beautifully restored and located on majestic Esplanade Avenue just eleven blocks from the famous French quarter. Extensive collection of Degas' reproductions are available by appointment, and our gift shop offers high quality remembrances of your visit. If a wedding or special event is in your plans, our lovely courtyard and grand parlors will provide the perfect setting for unique and treasured memories for guests and families.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I did not stay at the B&B, but I got their early for their Breakfast and a Tour program ($35). If you do this as well, make sure to both call ahead for a reservation AND confirm your reservation the day before. When I got there, the cook had not been told that I would be there. Fortunately, she was SUPER nice about it, and still had things set up in the kitchen for the B&B guests, so I still got food - which was amazing. I highly recommend the French toast w/ bananas.

The tour started after breakfast and was given by the great-grandniece of Degas. The "House" is actually two houses that used to be connected, and you get to see a bit of each, including the room that was Degas' studio during his 4 month stay at the house. The tour is more of an education on the family history of Degas than of the actual house, but you get some of that as well. Over all, definitely worth the $35! (I believe just going on the tour - without breakfast - was $10 or $15)

2  Thank Kfunque
in 6 reviews
in 20 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I did not stay here, but i attended the Bottle and Brushes Program one evening for a few hours - there was wine and nibbles - we were in the big front room, where Degas painted back in the day - it was $40 - call for reservations - Mark and the rest of the staff were great...the teacher was lovely - sorry, i can't recall her name - but i got to paint a ballerina - a replica of one of his famous works - SO MUCH FUN...i did a mardi gras themed one - complete with mask - although, i have to confess, it was because i messed up the face!!! Great ideas evolve when necessity dictates it! They do have tours of the house, but i did not have the time...i look forward to doing another one the next time i'm back in town...

2  Thank Yvonne M
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here for several nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was undergoing renovations and wasn't completely "put together" but we liked the casual but elegant environment. Beautiful courtyard for breakfast outside in the morning and wine in the afternoon. Our room had a balcony and we enjoyed sitting out there, too. Plenty of food for breakfast. Lovely neighborhood. Another side of the City and quite beautiful.

2  Thank jclements
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I took this tour on a whim and am so glad that I did. It was really interesting and entertaining. If you like history and/or art, take this tour. It’s a little long, but worth the time spent. One of the best things I have done in multiple trips to New Orleans. They have a great little courtyard and are right near a small park, so if you are travelling with someone that might not be into this tour, tell them to bring a book and go relax outside. Also, I walked to the house from the French Quarter, and while it is a bit of a walk, I recommend it because it’s so pretty to walk down Esplanade Avenue and you really get to see a variety of beautiful New Orleans homes.

3  Thank Christina342
See more reviews
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The Edgar Degas House was a great way to start our morning walk. We took bus #91 from the Garden District and was dropped off in front of the house. Joan is a delight to meet and is a relative of Edgar. She explains the family tree and is an asset to this tour. The house is still acquiring furniture and is rather sparse but the history lesson of the family is worth it especially if you are an Impression fan like me. After touring this house we walked to NOLA. I found out about this house through Frommers walking tour of Esplanade. Worth checking out. Clip off a coupon on one of the tourist maps.

1  Thank Parisbyday2