“Good fresh food”

Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Arts District / Warehouse District
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I decided to try this Mulate's for lunch. We didn't have to wait to be seated, but the crowd did pick up as we were leaving. The food was very tasty but the servers were not friendly. I appears that the girls doing the greeting don't even know how to smile. Our food however was fresh and delicious. My husband and I shared the gulf shrimp bar-b-que po-boy which came with fries and jambayla. He also ordered a side (cup $8.99) of etouffee which was delicious. My oldest had a cup of gumbo and the youngest ordered tilapia bites. There isn't a different menu for lunch, so the prices reflected are the same in the evening. They don't allow subsitutions.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We walked around the French Quarter all afternoon and this was on our way back to our hotel
near the Julia Street Cruise Terminal.

We looked at the menu outside the door and it looked good so we went in.
We had an absolutely fabulous meal with a couple of entrees the server suggested as
house specialties and she was right on- we had a real cajon-creole experience and I only wish we had more time in NOLA so we could eat there again. Fantastic food, fantastic service for
very reasonable prices. Also liked the ambiance.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We went here with a large group, seated at two tables; would not have chosen it, otherwise. It works for that kind of visit, with the band (zydeco, mainly, and only average) and dance floor. I don't think I'd choose it for a couples dinner.

S had blackened snapper; I had blackened, crab-stuffed catfish. Both were very good. One in our party, who also had the blackened snapper, said that it might be the best fish he'd every had! Over drinks, later that evening, a representative sample of the party (30!) seemed to feel that it was pretty darn good.

There are so many good choices in NOLA, it goes to show that a restaurant that's rated #250 (when we went there) can be more than adequate. I'd recommend that the 'top tier' state of mind, for your dining selection, be set aside while in NOLA. It's just easier to find something good there.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Somehow they have managed to provide a fairly authentic local experience with cajun music and excellent food in the tourist "desert" - I tried the gumbo for lunch (great) and the Zyedco Salad with grilled seafood for dinner (fresh and perfectly cooked catfish, crawfish, shrimp), as well as Bread Pudding (warm and swimming in sauce). I grew up in New Orleans (so I know a good bit about N.O. food)- but for the last 30 years only get back for conferences, and usually am disappointed in the weak attempts of the restaurants in the busiest tourist areas of the Quarter and the Warehouse District. This was an exception. Based on what I tried, I suspect that all of their traditional offerings would also be excellent. It is also fairly reasonable -$20-$30 range for most entrees. Not a place for quiet romantic dinner. If you are looking for a place in the Warehouse area, and within 2 blocks of the convention center - strongly recommend.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place is about average in price point for the area and the food I think is also average for an area where the bar is set high. I had a seafood sampler which was just average for this city. The color here is provided mainly by a small dance floor and a band stand where a local band of seniors play while older couples dance and children and their parents try to mimic them. I had no particular complaint about the food but service was the slowest we encountered in a two week stay in New Orleans and it was the only place where orders were served to the wrong persons.
The selection of wine and beer here were modest but adequate.