“Made for a Pretty Nice Stay”

Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East
Ranked #129 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Pros: Free parking, not too far a drive from most of the city's highlights and features, very spacious room (included a separate living room with coffee table and pull-out couch), very quiet (even though, as many reviewers mentioned, the hotel faces both an abandoned hotel and the highway, it was still very quiet), toiletries provided (mouthwash, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, emery boards, cotton balls, and cotton swabs, shower cap), two flat-screen TVs, lots of lighting, nice gym, actually had a exhaust fan in the bathroom (a lot of places don't), lots of storage place (shelving, several hangers, large closet with plenty of room for suitcases), included additional sheets and blankets in the closet, free wireless, express check-out service, cookies at the front desk all the time, free breakfast

Cons: inconsistent housekeeping, tiny pool, small pillows, not much to do, see, or eat in the immediate vicinity, gym only has one elliptical, one treadmill, and no free weights

Overall, I was pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank foxegurl266

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed here the night of Thanksgiving. Clean lobby, friendly staff, good price with free parking, as compared with pricier downtown hotels that charge $25 and up for each night of overnight parking. Stayed in an executive room, which is a fancy word for a small room. In Holiday Inn Express terms, I think "leisure" rooms are more roomy. Good free breakfast. Easy on/off to highway. About a 10ish minute drive from hotel to downtown New Orleans. Immediate neighborhood around hotel looked a little sketchy, wouldn't recommend it for taking a stroll. TV channels were hard to find, no menu or guide available printed out or on screen. Room was clean, but appeared to have been smoked in at some point, even though it was supposed to be nonsmoking. Overall, no major issues. Good for an overnight stay. Recommend Gray Line bus tour of the city once you get there!

Room Tip: Executive style rooms are a bit small, if they offer leisure style, those may be more spacious.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pattyp814
Reviewed November 7, 2011

No problems here. Property is clean and has been updated. The lobby and breakfast area is clean. Breakfast was great and well stocked. Breakfast host was friendly.

The room was very clean. The water pressure in the bathroom was a bit lacking. Otherwise no problems.

The area is fine, the hotel property is very very well lit and fenced off. It adjoins with the comfort suites hotel. Lots of parking available. There is an abandoned motel across the street that is being torn down and a closed down restaurant near the street. There are two gas stations nearby and the shell station has a great little connivence store. Across the interstate they have an Ihop and mcdonalds.

There is also a NORTA bus that will take you downtown for $1.25, and its a $30 cab ride back from the french quarter.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank jason9945
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was in town for business and stay here for 14 days. During my stay I was treated like family. My room was clean each day of the week. My wake up call was set ontime each day. The staff spoke to me when I when to work each day and when I came back each day. The Hotel is a very quiet and my sleep was great each night. The Hotel is putting in new carpet threw out the hotel. I will be back. If your in the area, this is the Hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct for best rates.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank haroldone
Reviewed August 4, 2011

When we walked in the staff was absolutely awesome the lobby area was clean, bright and cheery. We went to our room to find a room We did not expect from the chain: Holiday Inn. The bathroom toilet had a leak, the carpet was dirty,the curtains had holes in them, the bed was uncomfortable and the walls were paper thin. Staff could not do anything about the physical appearance but they did mop the floor. Smoking is allowed in this hotel so the fumes lingered in our non-smoking room. In the morning they did have a "breakfast " but the sitting was limited and we had to grab something and go. the location is great to see the city if you are ok with taking your car. Be careful parking is limited and if you come back to late to head to an "overflow" area that my wife did not feel safe in for the car or herself. Free internet was available but we did not use it. It was also nice to have free parking. Next time we go to New Orleans we will go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank BobKirkman
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Based on a few very negative reviews, I was a little skeptical about staying here. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! It was a good choice for me, as I wanted a hotel right off I-10, which it is, and not downtown where parking would be an issue (this hotel has plenty of free parking).

The front desk staff was very nice, even though they were busy. The room was very clean, comfy bed, nice big bathroom with huge fluffy towels, and had a frig and microwave. I couldn't ask for more.

I found the hotel to be a little on the pricey side; but, not as bad as downtown or the French Quarter. It was convenient to downtown New Orleans - just a few miles away.

The breakfast is typical Holiday Inn. Good and plenty of food. There are also PLENTY of fast food joints within 5 minutes of this hotel.

I would recommend this HI, and I would stay here again, even though I am usually a Marriott girl! It was a great stay!

Oh, and I would like to add one thing - just a notation. This is an area that was hit by Hurricane Katrina. Behind this hotel is an abandoned building (looks like it was a hotel too). It has been that way for years and is kind of an eyesore. I didn't care, but to some people who want a better view, this is what you might get from your window.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank tczig
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I'm not one to write reviews, but this place takes the reward for dirtiest awefull hotel I have stayed in for a long time. I travel for work, so I give a lot of leeway for hotel staff, but everything from the green pool, the fake sausage (some seudo soy and meat mixture) at the morning breakfast to the dried (what ever it was) splattered all over the wall of the room, the left over ( I can only assume mardi gras feathers) in the sofa bed, which we needed for my son, and don't forget your feet get black if you walk on the carget in the room.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for the Taj, but I know Holiday Inn can do better and at $159.00 a night I was not expecting hotel scum.

One other thing, this hotel is in far east side of the Metro plex and you DO NOT want to do anything in the immediate area. Our room looked out over the abandoned remains of a hotel next to ours, Oh and the green pool!!

And one more thing, the Wi-Fi network was horrible. I got bumped off at least four times and could not get an IP address assigned, so at least 30 minutes waisted messing with this

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank VIEQUESBEACHBUM
northshoreliving, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

We apologize for your bad experience. Currently, the hotel is under renovations with completion in September. The vacant buildings near the hotel, due to Katrina, are going to be torn down. The neighborhood has recently opened The Dish on Hayne Blvd, which is fine dining and lounge. There is going to be a WOW Wingery coming to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Federal City Inn & Suites
#77 of 166 in New Orleans
Central Business District
Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East? Share your experiences!