“An uncommonly enjoyable place to stay”

Lions Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #34 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Decatur, Georgia
“An uncommonly enjoyable place to stay”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

After having completed one of my several visits to the Lions Inn, I must say that there has not been an occasion in which I have not thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The combination of the friendly owner Floyd, the charming rooms, the tropical swimming pool area, and the great location all serve to provide an ambience that could put a smile on any traveler's face. The owner has always been very helpful in terms of providing advice or opinions on places to eat or things to see and do, and for those who care to engage him, he has both the intellect and the wit to keep you interested in having some good conversation. The rooms are furnished nicely and are always comfortable. One of my favorite parts of the Lions Inn is the swimming pool, which is surrounded by tropical vegetation that serves not only to add beauty to the area but also helps to give guests some privacy in the pool area. Lions Inn is located in an area that is convenient to walking up to the French Quarter or walking to one of the local restaurants. I have never felt threatened or unsafe in the area. So, if you're planning a trip to New Orleans, you won't want to miss the Lions Inn!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank AndyinDecatur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We were concerned with the location of the inn and felt unwelcome by the innkeeper. It is not a neighborhood where we felt comfortable parking our car on the street and walking our dog after dark. To my request for information about where to go in the French Quarter, the innkeeper simply provided a map and general directions and advised us to take a cab after dark. While I appreciated his candidness, I felt let down by his lack of the interest that I expect from an innkeeper. After all, that is one of the reasons we seek out B&B's instead of corporate hotels. We felt that our presence was burdensome because we were keeping him from his own party, which occupied the patio and pool and precluded our use of them. When we expressed our misgivings about the neighborhood, he was not respectful of our objections and refused to refund our deposit. He was unreasonable to speak with on a follow-up call and said unkind things to me. Refund or no, I'm glad that we followed our instincts and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amicale
atlanta
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Stuart, Floyd, Bubba and guest apparences by couple other little neighborhood pups make this place a welcoming spot. Everything was great, enchanting if you will! my husband and I stayed in the room right in front of the pool. The charm and worldclass hosting skills helped us to make our decision "we are moving to new orleans". Thanks for a great visit guys! And we cant wait to book the Mississippi location soon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 14, 2008

After a wedding in Memphis the weekend before I headed down to New Orleans to "recover" from what was to be a weekend of great celebration. As a single traveller I'm always frustrated paying room rates when it's just me so I chose the Lions Inn for their single room, room D.
The room was very clean and comfortable and sharing a bathroom was no problem at all. But the attentiveness of both hosts, Stuart and Floyd, was phenomenal. I honestly felt like I was staying with long-lost friends.
They have a beautiful home which was made more beautiful and welcoming by their incredible kindness and generosity. I spent many hours chatting with them over a glass of wine and sharing a good laugh here and there. At no time did I feel that I was staying at a guest house but rather felt like they were friends I hadn't seen for ages. They recommended The Cutters bar around the corner for my local football fix; I even watched Meet Joe Black on DVD with them; and the use of the bicycles really helped my endeavours of being a local New Orleanian! Not to mention the countless glasses of wine and mugs of coffee I consumed in four days and all their wonderful recommendations of things to do and places to see.
I will be back again to get my NOLA fix but also to catch up with new-found friends again!!
Thank you both...

• Liked — The hospitality of Stuart & Floyd
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Chombe
louisiana
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I found Lions Inn while searching PurpleRoofs.com for a last minute July 4th weekend visit to New Orleans. What an unexpectedly great place! Hosts Stuart and Floyd could not possibly be more accommodating. And Desie the housekeeper is a keeper, too. Two adjacent houses with one secluded back yard filled with a beautiful pool surrounded by palms, a coy pond, an outdoor shower, and a hot tub down in the Marigny neighborhood a few blocks from Elysian Fields Ave and less than one block from the famous Feelings Café makes this a real oasis. This is the perfect, relaxing inn after a hard day (or night) in the French Quarter. This gay-owned, clothing optional (depending on the crowd) B&B attracts a mostly gay clientèle and the open-minded, non-gay guests during my stay very much contributed to the friendly atmosphere. The pool never closes and the hosts have one rule: do what you like, just do it quietly. Reasonable rates, a continental breakfast and evening wine and cheese, a relaxed atmosphere, and great hosts make this an ideal deal for travelers of like mind. Lions Inn is my new favorite getaway in NOLA.

• Liked — Hosts and relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing. everything was fine.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BatonRougeLA
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My wife, my 17 year old daughter, and myself stayed at the Lions Inn for four nights during the French Quarter Jazz Festival April 2008. Our stay at the Inn was nice, with a few positives and some negatives as well.
The Inn is located about 10 to 12 blocks from the French Quarter and it is an easy walk. The Inn itself is located in a residential area of many small quaint homes and a few shops.
The positives, Stuart, the host, but not the owner, was a delightful individual. He always kept our wine glass full during the evening wine and cheese reception and provided wonderful recommendations for meals and entertainment. The rooms, while small, were clean and comfortable. We had booked rooms B (a double) and D (a single). The rooms shared a bathroom and worked well for parents traveling with a teen. The pool and garden area was a nice quiet escape from the noise and crowds of Bourbon Street.
The negatives. The bathroom shower had a considerable build up of black mold. A good spray of Tilex would solve the problem. Although it is booked as a B&B, breakfast was not desirable. There was usually dirty dishes in the sink from the prior nights wine and cheese reception and the food, as far as I could see, consisted of some store bought pastry and cookies. While I did see regulars eating cereal, none was out or offered. My wife and I felt like we were intruding in someones home both times we tried the breakfast. Luckily there was a wonderful breakfast and lunch restaurant one half block away that had exceptional breakfasts and well brewed coffee. We noticed another guest of the B&B also eating breakfast at this restaurant so I do not think we are alone in our opinion.
If they had not billed the Inn as a B&B, but just as an Inn without breakfast, I would have given them a 4 instead of a three, even at the same rate. And yes, I would go back, but this time, I would not have the same expectations for breakfast.

• Liked — pool and garden, clean quaint rooms, wine and cheese reception
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast was lacking
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank ABfromLosAlamos
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 15, 2008

I highly recommend the Lions Inn. Floyd and Stuart and Bubba the dog were very gracious hosts. Comfortable rooms and only a short walk to the French Quarter. I also liked the coffee shop just down the street. You cant go wrong booking here.

• Liked — location, price
  • Disliked — no news channels on the TV
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo