“A Stay to Remember!”

Lions Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #42 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2012

What a Great B&B Experience! A beautiful Authentic New Orleans Home, is The Lions Inn. They offer a comfortable bed, a clean cozy room, the antique furniture, all quite impressive. The "Wine and Cheese" get together was a welcome surprise between 5-6pm. The Sparkling Pool within a Lush Garden Courtyard; I didn't want the leave, but of course it's New Orleans, and the French Quarter and Shopping was beckoning! Just a few blocks from the B&B is a street called Frenchmen, I quickly found out from talking with Floyd it's where "the locals go"! May I also say, the Owner Floyd is truely "A New Orleans Native" he knows all the best scoop, the places to visit and he offered his insights freely, making my solo stay more complete, I really appreciated his attention, "he understands this city". Ed the property manager exceeded expections and the Staff was just as professional, "they know how to run The Lions Inn, I sure enjoyed it!".
Breakfast was easy and offered a great variety of Coffee, Tea, Juices, Jams and Simple Eats.
Thank you All and I'll Be Back Soon!
Lynne

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lynne C

Reviewed July 17, 2012

First of all, Traveler 850, I cannot believe that you are talking about the same person! I recently stayed next door in The Honeymoon Cottage which is also managed by the innkeepers at The Lions Inn. This is also the second time I have stayed with them. On this particular visit, from the moment we arrived, both Ed and Floyd were immediate friends. First of all, the inn itself is like a comfy home with alot of charm and character. It is located in a wonderful quirky little neighborhood known as the Marigny which is filled with restored old homes with shaded front porches, and alot of local flavor. There is a fantastic bakery and deli less than a block away, many restuarants,and friendly neighbors riding bikes and walking their dogs up and down the cozy tree lined street. The more chaotic fray of the Qrt is within walking distance, but many prefer the local jazz and vibe of Frenchman Street just 2 blocks away. But back to the Inn itself. When you enter the foyer it is like stepping back in time..Persian rugs, antiques,deep cushy couches in the living room and to add to the charm are the 2 little dogs that greet you in a friendly manner, then curl back up on their beds. Ed is quiet,soft spoken, and polite, and Floyd is like knowing your favorite uncle. He has many great stories of his travels abroad and just could not have been more friendly,putting me at ease within moments of meeting him. Though I wasnt staying in one of the rooms at the inn I was welcomed into the house like it was my home too. The courtyard and pool out back is lush and private. We were also invited to the wine and cheese gathering by the pool each evening by Floyd. We only declined the invitation bc we had other plans. There was much joviality among the guests enjoying themselves during the wine and cheese hour and we found ourselves wishing we didnt have other plans. Floyd and Ed were there for anything we may have needed without being the least bit intrusive. I liked the feeling of having someone looking out for us as opposed to those rentals where you are usually on your own with an absentee owner thousands of miles away. I have never been so grateful for these 2 wonderful men,especially Floyd, when a family emergency came up early on a Sunday morning and I had no where else to turn. Ringing the door bell of the Inn, Floyd came to the door right away..it was so early I had gotten him out of bed. In spite of the hour, he welcomed me in immediately and helped calm me down,offered me coffee and juice, and went to work helping me resolve the problem. Floyd has been a resident of NOLA for many years and knows what to do and whom to call if you need assistance with anything. He treated me just like I was a blood relative and I will forever be thankful for the graciousness and generosity of this man! After helping me resolve the emergency,he also loaned me money bc I had none and had no idea where to find an ATM . Not only that, he then had his driver take me where I needed to go,completely free of charge. All of this on an early Sun. morning when most people were still sleeping. The Lions Inn was a beacon of welcome hospitality for me in a city where I knew no one! Floyd really didnt know me personally yet he treated me like family!. I would definitely not hesitate to stay here again! Anyone who has a problem with either of these innkeepers needs to look in the mirror. If you want the impersonal service of a big hotel dont stay here..but if you want to be treated like family in a charming location far above the usual inns and run of the mill tourist places, stay at TheLion's Inn, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: we have enjoyed staying in the little honeymoon cottage right next door to the inn..it is a good val...
7  Thank patty w
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed there a number of times. The last time was sometime ago, but I will never forget owner's poor attitude and lack of respect for me and my friends.

Before I even got there Floyd managed to exhibit his picayune nature. I called to question why I had been billed for the entire stay when my companion should have been charged his half. Floyd got on the phone and angrily told me that he would have to pay a fee to reverse the charges and to take it up with my friend. MInd you I had been there three time in two years and alway.had the same arangement, but this was now my fault and problem to deal with. Thanks for making me feel small and unwelcome.

Upon arrival our room was fine, but a bit warm. I turned the a/c on and set it to 68F. This apparently overloaded the system. When I found out the a/c had shut down, I told Floyd. He promply accused me of breaking the unit by setting at 68F. One again thanks Floyd for making my vacation a memorable one.

Also, please be aware of the comunal bathrooms. Some of the guests are not modest or too worried about shutting the bathroom door. If you aren't expecting a show then you might gety quite a start. I did.

The wine and cheese is fine if you like bargan box wine and huge chunks of cheddar. Also, when it;s over be ready for Floyd to swoop in the announce that "wine and cheese is from 5 to 6" and clean up in front of you.

One of my friends was booted out of her room a day early even though her stay was durring a period where there was a four night stay. Floyd booked her stay for the wrong departure date even though everyone else in our group was leaving on the same day as we had the previus two other times. She was forced to move out for the last day of our stay and find a hotel durring one of the busiest time of the year. This pretty much ruined the final day of our vacation. Floyd was unconcerned. He told our friend who began to cry upon hearing the news, "You tears won;t work on me."

Floyd is character who won't appoligize for anything and is never wrong. He doesn't care if you you have a nice vacation and ruins the atmospher of a place that has a lot going for it. He gets less charming as time goes by. For the money you can do better.

Room Tip: Avoid the communal bathrooms!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
12  Thank Traveler850
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Lions Inn in the middle of May. We had an exceptional time. Our room was cozy and comfortable, the service was nothing short of perfection and the free wine and cheese happy hour was a pleasant surprise.
What we enjoyed most was our time spent with Floyd, the owner, and Ed, the property manager. We enjoyed their wit and banter as much as they enjoyed us laying by the pool and showing some skin.
We were so satisfied with our stay that we are booking a night in July on our road trip to Florida from Chicago. My brother and his fiancé will be joining us as they were intrigued by our hysterical stories. Looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank Ryan C
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We spent two nights there mid-May and had a great stay. Checked in about 3pm on Friday afternoon. Floyd was on vacation but his replacement did a great job. We sat out by the pool most of the afternoon. There were a few mosquitoes but we had repellant which really helped. Walked over to Feelings for dinner and had one of the best meals I have ever had in New Orleans. Next day we took a long slow drive through all of Bywater and were very impressed with the neighborhood. Had lunch at Elizabeth's and lunch at The Joint then sat at the pool again on Saturday afternoon. There was a noisy and drunk group on Saturday night who made lots of noise but they were passed out by 10pm. Rooms, bathrooms and pool were all clean and comfortable. We will be back.

2  Thank Cajunrag
Reviewed May 23, 2012

After reviewing many bed and breakfast establishments on the web, I was so relieved to find Lions Inn. While I knew I wouldn't be in the room a lot, I can't handle the over the top decor so many other places had. Lions Inn provided tastefully simple decor, an absolutely stunning pool and pond area and top notch hospitality, The location is the best of both worlds: close enough to experience the action and far enough away to leave it behind. I booked the Sun Room and the only minor inconvenience was: the patio table where most guests eat breakfast was right outside the door. Just due to the proximity of the patio and the fact that I am a light sleeper, the noise level in the morning woke me a bit earlier than I had wanted. Next time, and there certainly will be a next time, I'll bring earplugs or pick a different room.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

The experience with Floyd was due to another property that he manages. The place had bugs that showed up the first night we stayed there.. The next morning around 10am I went over and discussed it with him.. Told him i would pay for the second night so i could leave my stuff there and not have to leave it in the car in the middle of new orleans i did not under any circumstances want to be in that place for three nights I just felt after driving from missouri i wanted to atleast experience a part of missouri.... He was fine with this .So I had paid 165 over the phone and gave him 215 cash for the cleaning fee and second night rent. Total of 380. I told him i didnt know if we would actually stay there or not because the bug really freaked me out... Well we went on our way to site see and about 6ish we returned and we were planning our night activities... Floyd called and said if we didnt leave right away that he would charge my card with or without my permission for the third night. I told him that i didnt feel this was right.. He accused me of planting the bugs... threatened to run my card without my permission due to the cancellation policy of course there no mention in that policy about being mislead about the property and called me names like a con artist. We ended up having to leave and pay to stay somewhere else... So he took my 380 and we were in there less than 24 hours and we did not plant bugs.. i was on my honeymoon for goodness sakes!!!

It doesnt matter to me where you stay. I just want you to know that if you are willing to take a chance of being with big roaches and if you want to take a chance of threats of false charges to your card. And a chance of being that close to the french quarters without a place to stay... this is the place to go. I wish ya better luck than we had...

im sure he has his reasons but is it worth chancing it on your vacation?

Room Tip: anywhere away from floyd
Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple