“home away from home”

Ranked #43 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Sharon, Massachusetts
“home away from home”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I have stayed several times at the Garden District B&B, which just happens to be very close to where our family in New Orleans lives. Over the past few years we have stayed in three of the wonderful units. We are not fancy folks who must have every conceivable luxury, but I realize that some travelers require certain amenities (uber fancy bathrooms, in-room phones, etc.) that this B&B lacks. But its quirkiness, its charm, and the individual touches found in each unit --never mind its reasonable prices--appeal to us immensely--so we keep going back. We especially love the spaciousness of the units that enable my husband to stay up late in one room when I go to bed early in another. Sounds do not travel from one unit to the next because of the thick walls. Some folks might prefer the units with the en suite bathrooms for more total privacy. I love all of the delicious breakfast snacks that always await guests in the common area as well as the ability to serve a continental breakfast and even lunch each day with dishes and utensils that are available in each unit.
This place is understandably very popular, and it is sometimes difficult to book accommodations there at certain times of the year. From the many positive reviews on this site, however, it is clear that the secret is out. It really is our home away from home, and we look forward to staying there again soon--if everyone else doesn't get there first!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelbugsharon1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great location and comfy rooms. We all enjoyed this small B&B. Each of rooms had 2 rooms. Two of my friends shared a reservation, but still had rooms to themselves. Super clean. The breakfast is continental which suited us. We could grab yogurt, toast, bagels, coffee and go! There is plentiful street parking. Raynell gave us great suggestions for nearby restaurants. I would definitely choose this B&B again. Thanks Raynell!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dee1481
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed upstairs in the Rose Room and in all honestly I expected the room to be quite small from the pictures but they don't really do it justice. I found the room rather sizeable and was surprised to find out that I had my own kitchen area too. I loved this, it really made it feel like a home away from home for me which is a real comfort during 3 months of travelling. I really liked the set up of breakfast too so I could just dash downstairs in my pjs, grab what I wanted and head back to my room to heat it up or whatever was needed.

I wanted to stay a little bit out of the French Quarter and this position was just perfect. It has a bus stop almost right out front and it is just a short bus ride to the French Quarter and about an $8 cab ride back if you're coming back late. It is super close to lots of fantastic shops and restaurants in the Garden District and only a few blocks away from the Lafayette No. 1 cemetery. I also went to the superdome for a Saints game very easily too - I just walked up to Saint Charles Ave, jumped on a street car and walked a little further to the superdome. A few people had also made me a bit nervous about travelling to New Orleans on my own but I never ever felt unsafe.

The owners Raynell and Luis are just wonderfully kind people and very knowledgeable about where the good food is at! They were always happy to answer my questions. Luis even gave me a lift to the Amtrak station when he ran into me waiting for a cab out front which was a god send as I was standing there with my massive backpack on my back feeling very unwell. I would definitely stay here again and I will recommend it to anyone I know travelling to the great city of New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank vargasgirl1984
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My friend and I stayed here on a weekend trip to New Orleans. We love this B&B! The hosts were very accommodating in letting us drop our bags off after an early morning arrival and storing them for a late afternoon flight.

We stayed in a suite with a bedroom and a living room area with a daybed plus a balcony overlooking Magazine Street. We had plenty of room for just the two of us. I The room was clean, comfortable and very homey.

The fridge was stocked with milk, juice and yogurt plus cereal and coffee were in the room. They don't offer a full breakfast and that was fine with us since we came to NOLA to enjoy the great restaurants.

The Garden District is a great area in and of itself. Lots of shops, restaurants and bars and I'd say just as much fun as the Quarter only less hectic. The streetcar line is just a few blocks from the B&B. The cab ride back from the Quarter was $10 plus tip.

We would stay here again for sure. Can't say enough about how nice and accommodating the innkeepers were.

Room Tip: If you have an issue with climbing stairs, I wouldn't recommend rooms upstairs. The stairwells...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BrookeLynne7
Raphine, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were lucky to find this great place. Very comfortable and easy to deal with. Available but non-intrusive. If you want a big bathroom you could be disappointed but we didn't find it a problem. Bus service was just outside the door an very dependable. Can't say enough good about this excellent b+b.

Room Tip: The porch room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jay G
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend while moving my niece into Tulane for fall term. It is convenient to Tulane and to Magazine street restaurants and stores . There is ample street parking . The owners are quite lovely hosts and are helpful . Computer and printer are available for your use . Complimentary Breakfast is provided. Rates are very reasonable . Would stay again !

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank catherine115
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the B&B in April for the first weekend of Jazzfest. In my opinion, this is the best location in NOLA. Magazine St is packed with resturants, shops and locals. It is less touristy than the Quarter. As other reviewers said, it is a short walk to St. Charles for the Street car. The bus out front took us right to the Canal Street car, taking us close to the Fair Grounds and Jazz Fest.
To tell the truth, when I first went in to our room, I was a little disappointed. We had the front room. It was a bit dark and gloomy. By the end of the day, it did not matter. The room was large and had it's own kitchen area. The bathroom was small but duable. Having our own entrance and use of the front porch was convienent. Each day, Raynell would refresh our fridge with juice, yogurt, milk, etc. Our last day, Raynell sat and talked to us about NOLA, our cross country trip and tips on traveling. She was great. We will be back next year, but this time we will stay in the Garden room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple