“Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover. Yuk!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
denver, co
“Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover. Yuk!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2011

We were three guys looking for a suite with two beds and a sofabed. I looked everywhere and based on regularly being in the top 15 reviewed hotels in New Orleans on Tripadvisor (and after reading reviews on several other websites), plus it's location, I picked the Country Inn & Suites.

The lobby is very pretty. Everyone at the front desk were professional and friendly. The breakfast buffet was slightly above average for a free hotel bkfst, but the staff tried to clear it before the closing time and seemed put off when anyone asked for something already put away.

PROBLEMS:
1) This is a historic warehouse building. I was expecting a room with character, but got what looked like a typical budget hotel room.
2) The living room had no exterior window and the bedroom had a tiny window that didn't open so the room was dark.
3) While the beds were great, the sleeper sofa was terrible.
4) OK, how to say this? When any of us pooped, the toilet got stuffed. No matter how little nor if we even gave a courtesy flush. We called the front desk and someone would come up with a plunger or snake. THIS HAPPENED EVERY TIME!!!!

THREE PEOPLE HAD TO LIVE IN A DARK ROOM THAT SMELLED LIKE FECES FOR DAYS!!!!

They were going to move us after 2 days but maintenance said there was no need because he was going to snake the toilet while we were out. It didn't help and we twice had a stuffed toilet the last 24 hours. THAT'S GROSS!!! Finally, we tried to use the lobby toilet but it was also clogged at the time.

We complained repeatedly and there was no offer of compensation and barely an apology. How can a hotel let there guests live this way? It's inexcusable!

SHAME ON THE COUNTRY INN & SUITES.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank denverroadtrip
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
We are very sorry about your experience and as you can see from most reviews on Tripadvisor about us, your experience was far from the normal. We pride ourselves as having one of the best customer service employee teams in New Orleans as well as one of the best properties in New Orleans. Please allow us to correct our errors. Give us a call at 504-342-2308 and ask for our Assistant GM, Ione Hughes. She will be happy to do whatever she can to rectify your encounter to the best of her ability.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

This hotel was amazing from the first second to the very last. The service was the picture of southern hospitality. The location was amazing! in the northwest corner of the French Quarter. This was super close to the main large street to get out of town easily or see the other parts of New Orleans very easily. But it was also within a five minute walk from the heart of the French Quarter such as Bourbon street, Canal street, and the Mississippi River. The service at this hotel was top notch! All of the employees were super friendly, all the way down to the housekeeper who stopped cleaning the stairway so she could assist my four year old daughter down the stairs since her hands were full and couldn't grab the railing and was apparently timid to go down the stairs; my hands were full as well so I could not help my daughter. The housekeeper stopped what she was doing and came up the stairs, placed an arm around my daughter and led her down the rest of the steps. The continental breakfast was splendid, though I was surprised to not see eggs of any kind at the breakfast, but everything that was there was just wonderful. The room was small but didn't feel that way. The view was nothing to speak of; just the ally and building behind the hotel but what else is to be expected from a room in the French Quarter. When we arrived the valet staff was very helpful and gave us a wealth of information to answer just one question of where to park. They do only have valet parking but it was very reasonable in price, $12 a day. They also informed us that they would be able to get the car for us in 15-20 minutes whenever we need it just as long as we call from our room to have them pull it around. The valet also offered to hold our bags for us while we enjoyed the French Quarter in case our room wasn't ready yet when we first arrived. The room was received at a spectacular rate especially considering we reserved it mere hours before arriving since we had only been in New Orleans because we were diverted from our original destination. The first night our airline put us up in the Double Tree hotel next to the airport which was a very expensive room and my friend and I both feel the room at Country Inn and Suites was equal is not better than the Double Tree room(even though they had sleep number beds). I am very eager t go back to New Orleans so that I can enjoy the Country Inn and Suites again. It was such a wonderful experience that I cannot wait to experience again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank MayMama514
lcamp4, Sales Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We take pride in making each guest stay a great one. I'll be certain to share your comments with the entire staff. We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your return visit to New Orleans.
Cottage Grove, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

What a find! Thanks to all the reviewers who helped me select this hotel. Some very talented architects have taken a series of warehouses and created a delightful and charming hotel. As a solo senior citizen traveler on a budget, the price can absolutely not be beat. And, of course, I love old, charming and places with character. This has it all. The service has been excellent.My corner room was clean and well furnished. Though downtown, I was not at all bothered by the traffic noise. The complimentary breakfast included just about anything one might want, even including a big pot of Quaker oats. I have traveled extensively world-wide since retiring. This hotel ranks among my top favorites for all my travels meeting my major criteria: budget, safety, comfort and character. I can recommend without reservation.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank GrandmaMuffy
Thank you for your lovely review. The architect did an amazing job creating the hotel. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to you staying with us on your next visit to New Orleans.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

Just returned from the Country Inn & Suites New Orleans. We stayed three nights starting 12/11/10. It's a charming, historic New Orleans building - character has been fully maintained, but it's fully updated. Loved the "parlor" area w/ faux fireplace near the entrance.

The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Our needs didn't extend beyond the basics of check-in/out and a few questions about directions, but I felt they could have handled anything.

Rooms are clean and updated. It's not a five star/luxury hotel, but it had everything we needed - modern bathroom, nice toiletries, comfy bed, tv, desk, reading area w/ chair/ottoman. We were on the first floor straight back from the entrance, so our view was nothing to write home about. I recommend asking for one of the upper floors. On Tuesday morning around 3 a.m. the garbage men were busy/loud clearing dumpsters. Lots of beeping from the trucks and yelling. I confirmed with a friend who's visits frequently that this is a regular occurrence.

Two of the best things about this hotel are the free breakfast & free internet. Great spread of some hot items (eggs, sausage, french toast), and the basics like cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins, etc. It was a great way to start the day. All rooms have free internet. We had free wireless in our room too, but that may have been because we were on the first floor. They advertise that the lobby is a wifi area, and we may have had it too just because of proximity of our first floor room.

Location wise, this worked well for us. It's an easy walk to Canal Street and the French Quarter. Had it been warmer (was in the 40s and WINDY), I think we could have walked to most of our planned destinations. We skipped a lot given the bad weather. But it resulted in more time relaxing at the hotel, and that was okay too.

Our three night stay totaled about $305. This was the deal of the century! I highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for something a stone's throw from the action.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WhitefishBay
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. The parlor area has been enjoyed by a lot of our guest who just want to sit back and relax. Hopefully on your next visit it will be warmer so that you can enjoy everything that our wonderful city has to offer. We look forward to your return and welcoming you back to the Country Inn & Suites New Orleans French Quarter.
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2010

Third trip to NOLA-third hotel. Previously stayed at Bourbon Orleans and Hotel Le Cirque. This was at least 5-times nicer and 1/3 the price. Since we were there for Thanksgiving we had forgotten about the bayou Classic, one of the loudest drunken brawls in all of civilization. A lot of fun if you are involved but the opposite if you are not. That made us appreciate the location which was a convenient walk to the French Quarter, Restaurant August and Emerils but away from the worst of the brawl. Staff was great as was breakfast. Our Suite overlooking Magazine was fairly large. Rooms were pretty new and well maintained. I don't think I will even look anywhere else next time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Albuquerque_NMGeezer
lcamp4, Sales Managaer at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful review. We certainly appreciate your patronage and your wonderful comments. We take pride in making each guest stay a great one. We look forward to you staying with us again on your next visit to New Orleans.
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for a mix of business and pleasure, and really enjoyed it. The hotel is clean, has excellent free wireless access, and great customer service. In addition, it has one of the best free breakfasts that I've experienced; it always included the usual items but also a hot item (sausage, eggs, etc) as well as yogurt and fruit and a Belgium waffle bar. I initially was concerned with this location since it is on a side street, but I felt very safe and convenient to my destinations (Riverwalk, casino, French Quarter). It was quiet, too. The bed was very comfortable, and the bath products were of good quality. The free cookies at the reservation desk in the afternoons were a nice find also. I would definitely stay here again if I am ever in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 1NCgal
lcamp4, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Country Inn & Suites New Orleans French Quarter. It's great to share with our staff and makes us proud when we know we have succeeded in making your stay enjoyable. We look forward to you staying with us again. Happy Holidays.
Lisa
Sales Manager
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

All I can say is Fantastic! I always recommend this hotel and would go back anytime!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We really appreciate you for taking the time to post a review. Thank you for recommending us to your family and friends. We look forward to you staying with us again on your next visit to New Orleans. Happy Holidays.
Lisa Camp