Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #40 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
San Diego
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

Stayed one night in New Orleans at this hotel. I would give the hotel 5 stars, but the front desk staff was less than competent and less than friendly. I have heard that since Katrina the service industry has had problems finding and keeping good people and it shows. I had problems on this trip with waitstaff and hotel staff. At the CI&S my card key wouldn't work and it took me trudging back to the desk all the way from my room three times and starting to get very angry before they got it right. Anyway, an exception is the bartender John; a great guy, full of tips and advice and pours a mean tequila. I will stay there again just to drink at his bar. The room is small but clean, the location is great. The price is more than reasonable at $75 per night, but is kind of misleading, as you will pay another $25 per night to park. I will stay there again due to the location, price and great barstaff.

• Liked — Location, bar staff, concierge
  • Disliked — Front desk staff surly
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank kenpeterson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

We had a great time in New Orleans, and the Country Inn & Suites only added to the trip. Staff was very nice, and helped with any info we needed. The cookies at the front desk are great, just the thing for a snack between meals. My wife and I came to N.O. by train. We had no problems getting to hotel ( about $12 taxi fare). Transportation around the city is easy. A muni pass for $5 allows you to ride any public trans all day. Central Grocery has great muffulettas. Other good eats were Acme Oyster House, Deanies, & Gumbo Shop.
We had read the breakfast at Mothers Rest. was good, but we did not think so. This hotel is just south of the French Qtr, but not too far away to walk. I would stay here again & plan to on my next trip to N.O.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank DoubleE
Crystal, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2008

I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites, 315 Magazine St. New Orleans, LA the last week of July 2008. What a wonderful hotel! This property is charming and cozy and also has a cute little swimming pool. My room was lovely, the small bar very friendly, front desk staff very helpful and Minette, the concierge, was great. Included in the room price is a very nice breakfast . The location is very handy to the French Quarter, Riverwalk and many restaurants. We felt comfortable walking outside all of the time. It was a terrific experience and I look forward to returning to this hotel the next time I'm in New Orleans. I paid the unbelievable price of $70 per night.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Lindahdhw1
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed here one night, and were absolutely delighted -- and plan to return.
We had a room with 2 queen beds. The room was spacious, and so was the bathroom. The room was cold -- but we prefer sleeping cold to being hot, so that was fine.
The breakfast was advertised as "continental", but was more extensive than we anticipated, and we enjoyed it.
Everyone we dealth with: the desk clerk, the girl inthe breakfast room, the attendant at the valet parking, the concierge, were friendly and helpful.
Even paying for valet parking [which is better than other, "higher starred" hotels we've stayed at in New Orleans, where the parking was an unguarded lot across the street from the hotel], the price is more reasonable than you'd find for comparable rooms in New Orleans.

• Liked — spaciousness of the rooms
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank disheveledprofessor
American in Moscow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights based on the great reviews on Trip Advisor, my favorite source of information. Unfortunately, I hardly think it deserves the high ratings it has received aside from the price factor. Certainly the hotel is a real bargain - we paid in advance on the hotel’s Web site and nabbed an average nightly rate of $76 + tax - hard to beat that! Had to laugh when I saw the rate posted on the door in our room of $339 + tax - I wouldn’t pay that for this hotel under ANY circumstances, but at the rate we got it was fine.

The hotel is a nicely done renovation of old warehouse buildings so you don’t feel as if you’re in a boxy cookie-cutter. It is very clean and very attractive. We had a standard room with a king bed. Slightly small, but adequate. Specifically requested a room facing the front with windows based on recommendation here. I don’t know how I would have felt not having windows, but the truth is our drapes were always closed to keep the sun & heat out.

Our toilet wasn’t fixed to the bathroom floor & was wobbling. It was fixed immediately, but not level - worked fine, but looked silly. Very small bath tub.

Someone had written the A/C was cold. I’d say it’s adequate. It feels nice and cold when you come in from the street, but we were sweating during the night even with the thermostat at its lowest setting. The biggest problem we had was with the bed. They have good quality, thick, pillow-top mattresses, but the sheets do not have deep enough pockets to fit the bed. Every morning we’d wake up with the bottom sheet ½ way down the bed - very uncomfortable & annoying. Also, the bottom sheet was put on the bed inside out. Three complaints to the front desk staff did nothing, though one day the chamber maid tried to pull the sheet a little lower - she never did turn it right-side in.

Generally, the front desk staff have an attitude as if they’re doing you a favor. Day time staff were indifferent and unwelcoming. Night staff much better - helpful & friendly. The concierge girls were helpful & pleasant. The cookies are a nice touch (no one offered them to us & I wouldn’t have noticed them if I hadn’t read about them here), but they are WAY too sweet.

The included breakfast was bearable. The counter set-up in the breakfast room in inadequate - too small a space for the number of people. Bagels, English muffins, mini-muffins, cold cereals, yogurts and fruits - can’t do anything wrong with them. Coffee was ok - not terrible as some had written. I’m not into waffles, but they were a big hit with the crowd, and I do mean big crowds hoping for a chance to make a waffle. The eggs & sausages were absolutely revolting. Give me those runny, dehydrated eggs any day over these dry, cardboard, imitation omelets - disgusting. Sausages looked too disgusting to even try.

The courtyard’s very pleasant & the mini-pool a life-saver after the broiling heat of the city. They need to empty the courtyard trash and ashtrays more often. This is the only smoking area of the hotel (they only have 3 smoking rooms) and it’s uncovered so smokers (me) have no place to go out of the rain.

And lastly, the location. We didn’t mind the location and yes, it is less than 3 blocks to the Quarter, but that’s to the EDGE of the Quarter, not its center. If you have any walking/disability issues this is not the place for you.

Would I stay here again? probably not unless I was on an incredibly tight budget….

• Liked — Price.
  • Disliked — Bed sheets didn't fit the bed & were never adjusted despite complaints.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scg128
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Recently stayed at the Country Inn and Suites French Quarter for a brief weekend getaway. Could not have been more satisfied.

Not only was the hotel beautiful and an excellent place for a quiet stay, it was also within short walking distance of the French Quarter, Riverwalk, Harrah's, and the Aquarium.

Parking is available through the hotel, as well as a public overnight lot one block away provided you arrive early enough.

Also, we strongly recommend the Cuban restaurant just next door.

I cannot say enough with regard to this hotel, we will definitely be coming back any time we travel to NO.

• Liked — Cleanliness, proximity to French Quarter
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank overman129
Atlanta,GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed here July 5-8 2008 for the Essence Festival. I chose this hotel after reading all of the great reviews and those were accurate! The hotel was very nice, the rooms were very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was nice and looked very new/remodeled. We were only in the room to change and sleep for a few hours. The hotel is in safe walking distance to just about all there is too do in New Orleans. French quarter was about a block away. Oharra's is very close buy to for you gamblers (we didn't gamble but we did go and attempt to and they offer free drinks if you are doing so). The riverwalk was a short 10 min walk away as well. We are considering going back to next year and this will be our hotel of choice.

Oh...the staff were all friendly ...we were there during a really busy time but they were very helpful whenever we had questions.

Mother's restaurant is around the corner and I had the food was great...was a long wait tho :( but worth it all!

Stayed July 2008