“Perfect location for Mardi Gras! Great stay.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #43 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've been coming to Mardi Gras for many years now, and this year decided that I did not want to stay in the Quarter. We chose this property on price, and certainly got our money's worth. The location at Magazine & Gravier is ideal for walking to the Quarter, the casino, parade routes, and great restaurants. It is also a reasonable walk to the Aquarium and Insectarium, as well as both streetcars, Canal & St Charles. The check in with the warm cookies always at the desk was pleasant and well-received after a long drive from Michigan.

From the moment we arrived, the staff was amazing. Our valet, Blaine, got all of us unloaded and to the room in short order and in good humor. We were fortunate to have Blaine be our valet when we checked out 8 days later, and he was still in good humor and cracking a joke. :)

I used the valet parking at $25/night and greatly appreciated that they did not jack up the rates for Mardi Gras as two properties on Canal have done in the past. My in/out priveleges were very helpful, and I rarely waited too long for my vehicle, even with parade routing closing some of the streets. We were able to drive most places, being familiar with New Orleans as we all are.

We had a suite on the 5th floor, and the room was great for us. Comfortable beds, a fridge and microwave, two TVs, free wifi, a nice desk, and lots of room. We overlooked the atrium, and had zero noise issues. I liked greatly that when we returned late at night there was a sign asking for quiet, guests were sleeping. So appreciated.

Housekeeping was sweet and thorough. We had some language issues at first, but the young lady went to get a supervisor who translated for us and we were delighted by her initiative. All we needed were more towels which I was able to get w/my limited Spanish, but she brought the supervisor in case we needed something else. One thing I would like to see is a card for the door that says please come back later. 10 a.m. would be fine any other time, but we were generally still sleeping. :)

The breakfast was FANTASTIC. Hot breakfast each morning with lots of options, different each day. It was regularly replenished and tasty. There is supposed to be hot coffee in the breakfast room 24 hours, but it was out when we tried twice. Of course, the hotel was full of Mardi Gras revelers. :) The breakfast is an amazing value, as are the light bites that can be purchased from the bar staff at other times of day. No room service or on-site restaurant, but many local restaurants deliver until quite late. We loved Magazine Pizza!

However, trying to get back to the hotel on one occasion was difficult due to parade routing, and I was irritated by the concierge on duty's inability to guide me in. We were two blocks over on Peters, by the casino, and Gravier, and she appeared to not know where that was, having to consult a map. I found that annoying as she is the concierge, which would assume a knowledge of the area. She also told me that the streets were open when I could clearly see the barricades stating that it was not open. She seemed very confused by this, and while her accent was charming, her lack of knowledge was not. One of us had spoken to another concierge who wrote down directions which we accidentally left behind. When we figured out how to get back on our own, those directions were exactly how we ended up getting back. We should have asked to speak with the blonde woman at the concierge, since she knew her stuff. This is one thing I would like to see addressed - know your area!

This hotel is a definite keeper. I plan to stay here next time I come into town, and may book a block of rooms for Mardi Gras 2014. Other friends stayed here too and were equally pleased.

Room Tip: High rooms are wonderfully quiet. :) However, there is a guest laundry on the third floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

We're so happy you chose us for your Mardi Gras visit! We are in the middle of all the excitement and the heart of the city. We do hope you choose us again next year and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel during Mardi Gras. I was not sure of its location, since this was my first time in New Orleans, but was extremely surprised how convenient it is to everything. All the destinations were within walking distance - casino 4 blocks, Bourbon St 4 blocks, the Riverwalk was 5 blocks, WW II Museum was 7 blocks, the furthest we had to walk. The hotel was very nice, clean and quiet. The staff, especially the concierges were extremely helpful. I enjoyed sitting on the benches outside in the evening just people watching. The free breakfast was good, serving eggs, one morning had omelets which were exceptional, homefries, pastries and the usual.
The only thing was that I was disappointed in is that there was no couch in this suite but the rollaway that was brought up was extremely comfortable to sleep in. The rooms were readily made up. Had a very nice stay for three people (me and two brothers which is why I would have liked a roll out couch).

1  Thank SkiPennsylvania
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Attended Mardi Gras 2013. The hotel is in a great location. Two blocks from Canal Street, two blocks from St Charles. A few blocks from the waterfront. Four blocks from Bourbon Street. The room was comfortable. We had a room overlooking the alley, and noise did carry into the room (garbage trucks in early morning, a car alarm in the middle of the night), but it wasn't constant and we got enough sleep. Breakfast was great! Hot options that changed every day, along with regular healthy options (waffles, hot oatmeal, cold cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit) as well as the usual bagels, breads, muffins, variety of juices and coffee/tea. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety. But above all, it was the service that impressed me the most. We were greeted by the concierge as soon as we arrived and welcomed to New Orleans. The front desk staff was very friendly and called our room shortly after we checked in to make sure everything was fine in our room. They called to ask if we needed help with check-out, and called to make sure that the automatic wake-up call that we requested was received (which is great when you're getting up at 3:30 am to catch an early morning flight!). All of the concierges and the valet that we dealt with were wonderful and eager to help. Every employee that we encountered was friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our reason for booking at Country Inn & Suites New Orleans is that friends of ours recommended the hotel when they were touring Tulane with their son. So, since we had stayed at a Country Inns and Suites in another city, we didn't look further since we enjoyed the hotel so much.
Our reason for our visit to New Orleans was my son was moving to New Orleans for work. We had rented a car and had extra bags that we were moving in and out of the hotel. The valets were very accommodating and understanding with all of our activity. I wish that I could remember the valet's name that found my son's wallet before he even knew that it was lost. He had dropped it when we had run into the hotel to drop off some bags.
We always felt taken care of by everyone there. Also, I was quite pleased when the front desk was able to make an adjustment on our bill which saved us a significant amount of money. I had originally booked a suite, thinking that my husband might join us, but then he knew we couldn't. I tried to make the change over the phone with no luck, but in person the front desk team took care of us with ease and no questions asked.
The breakfast was perfect. We had 2 mornings where we could linger a bit and then one morning where we had to grab and go! The buffet accommodated any situation that a traveler may have.
The rooms were also very quiet and comfortable.
I hope that there will be plenty of opportunities for us to visit New Orleans again. We will definitely stay at this without looking further. Country Inn & Suites, New Orleans has everything that we need.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This marked our 5th Mardi Gras stay at this hotel and again, it was outstanding. The Mardi Gras crowd is surely no "walk in the park," yet the ENTIRE staff, from valet parking to concierge, have always been the epitome of exceptional customer service. The hotel's historic background and architecture, with overhead beams and old brick, add New Orleans flavor and feel. Complimentary cookies at the main desk, along with a full, delicious complimentary breakfast (much more than continental), coupled with the friendly atmosphere, make you feel right at home. The rooms offer ample space and the small refrigerators are definitely a bonus. Most surprisingly, it has always been quiet! This year we were a little concerned because we were right by the elevator, but we'd never have known. And being on Magazine between Poydras and Canal is an added bonus. Great restaurants are a stone's throw away and it's plenty close enough to the Quarter. CI&S won't disappoint!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hotel is a rabbit warren of rooms spread across a number of buildings. Main area of hotel is nicely renovated. Room was a good size with comfortable bed - clean! Tiny pool but was heated. Very close to the main parts of town (2 blocks down from St Charles Street) so easy to walk everywhere but quiet. Breakfast had good selection, tasty, constantly replenished, both hot and cold but other than fruit, eggs and oatmeal not much that I would consider 'healthy'! Staff all friendly and helpful. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is the second time we stayed at this hotel for Mardi Gras and this time, we stayed in a one bedroom suite away from the lobby. The entire staff from the valet parking, front desk, maid service and breakfast servers were outstanding. Their friendliness was wonderful. The breakfast food was fantastic. Hopefully, we will be back next year.

1  Thank maz1022
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Central Business District
Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Courtyard New Orleans French Quarter/Iberville
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter? Share your experiences!