I've been coming to Mardi Gras for many years now, and this year decided that I did not want to stay in the Quarter. We chose this property on price, and certainly got our money's worth. The location at Magazine & Gravier is ideal for walking to the Quarter, the casino, parade routes, and great restaurants. It is also a reasonable walk to the Aquarium and Insectarium, as well as both streetcars, Canal & St Charles. The check in with the warm cookies always at the desk was pleasant and well-received after a long drive from Michigan.
From the moment we arrived, the staff was amazing. Our valet, Blaine, got all of us unloaded and to the room in short order and in good humor. We were fortunate to have Blaine be our valet when we checked out 8 days later, and he was still in good humor and cracking a joke. :)
I used the valet parking at $25/night and greatly appreciated that they did not jack up the rates for Mardi Gras as two properties on Canal have done in the past. My in/out priveleges were very helpful, and I rarely waited too long for my vehicle, even with parade routing closing some of the streets. We were able to drive most places, being familiar with New Orleans as we all are.
We had a suite on the 5th floor, and the room was great for us. Comfortable beds, a fridge and microwave, two TVs, free wifi, a nice desk, and lots of room. We overlooked the atrium, and had zero noise issues. I liked greatly that when we returned late at night there was a sign asking for quiet, guests were sleeping. So appreciated.
Housekeeping was sweet and thorough. We had some language issues at first, but the young lady went to get a supervisor who translated for us and we were delighted by her initiative. All we needed were more towels which I was able to get w/my limited Spanish, but she brought the supervisor in case we needed something else. One thing I would like to see is a card for the door that says please come back later. 10 a.m. would be fine any other time, but we were generally still sleeping. :)
The breakfast was FANTASTIC. Hot breakfast each morning with lots of options, different each day. It was regularly replenished and tasty. There is supposed to be hot coffee in the breakfast room 24 hours, but it was out when we tried twice. Of course, the hotel was full of Mardi Gras revelers. :) The breakfast is an amazing value, as are the light bites that can be purchased from the bar staff at other times of day. No room service or on-site restaurant, but many local restaurants deliver until quite late. We loved Magazine Pizza!
However, trying to get back to the hotel on one occasion was difficult due to parade routing, and I was irritated by the concierge on duty's inability to guide me in. We were two blocks over on Peters, by the casino, and Gravier, and she appeared to not know where that was, having to consult a map. I found that annoying as she is the concierge, which would assume a knowledge of the area. She also told me that the streets were open when I could clearly see the barricades stating that it was not open. She seemed very confused by this, and while her accent was charming, her lack of knowledge was not. One of us had spoken to another concierge who wrote down directions which we accidentally left behind. When we figured out how to get back on our own, those directions were exactly how we ended up getting back. We should have asked to speak with the blonde woman at the concierge, since she knew her stuff. This is one thing I would like to see addressed - know your area!
This hotel is a definite keeper. I plan to stay here next time I come into town, and may book a block of rooms for Mardi Gras 2014. Other friends stayed here too and were equally pleased.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Currently closed for renovation and expansion; due to reopen in late 2017. With its home-like decor and plentiful amenities, the Country Inn & Suites, New Orleans French Quarter offers comfort and convenience in the heart of downtown New Orleans. Our historic hotel is comprised of seven 19th century buildings, giving it a charming, boutique feel that artfully blends old world charm with modern comforts. Our prime location on Magazine Street near the French Quarter places our guests close to many nearby New Orleans activities and attractions, including Bourbon Street and the Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn & Suites New Orleans Hotel New Orleans
- Country Inn And Suites New Orleans
- Country Inn New Orleans
- New Orleans Country Inn