“Definitely worth trying for yourself”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Boulangerie

La Boulangerie
Ranked #7 of 26 Bakeries in New Orleans
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Mesa, Arizona
“Definitely worth trying for yourself”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

On our way out of New Orleans, we stopped here Friday morning, 21 October at about 9:30 am.

If we had a “I break for” bumper sticker it would say French Bakeries or more specifically Choux à la Crème (a.k.a, Choux Chantilly or cream puff). We still cannot find one in which the cream comes close to the taste of those sold in south France/Marsailles.

So at La Boulangerie we shared a:

BLUEBERRY MUFFIN. It tasted great and was very moist and sweet but not excessively sweet. However, it did not have enough blueberries. There should be at least one blueberry in every bite.

ITALIAN SANDWICH: 7-8” diameter sesame seed bun with 1 thin layer of genoa salami, provolone, tomato and I think olive salad (see picture). The ratio of bread to meat and condiments was woefully off-balance. Instead of sharing a half a bun each, we threw the empty side away and shared the other half with all the fixings on it. That half tasted good. I don’t remember the cost, but it was about $5-6. I would never waste my money on that again. I downgraded them on value for this.

HAZELNUT CHOUX A LE CRÈME: My wife liked it, I did not.

CHOUX À LA CRÈME/Cream puff: The pâte à choux (bread/dough) was baked almost just right. We prefer a very soft bread. The crème was very good, but far short of the rich cream of Marsailles.

CHAI TEA: My wife loves a sweet, creamy chai tea and preferes the Dunkin’ Donuts version. This was pretty decent enough that I liked it.

About 15 minutes after eating all this, we both became very nauseaus. Hoping it was too much sugar too fast, we stopped in to the first Subway we could find and shared an anti-sugar 6” Western Omelette. Sure enough, immediately after we ate the sandwich we both felt better.

Regretfully we did not have the metabolic ability to try a mini French baguette or a croissant.

The service was prompt and courteous.

We definitely recommend giving the place a shot.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank clevel60

Friendswood
“Always great pastries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

We actually go out of our way when we're passing through, just to visit. Blueberry muffins are awesome, like cake almost.. and the blue cheese bread is really amazing.

• Visited June 2011
Sunnyvale, California
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

We were walking and exploring Magazine St and ran into this place. It was one of the places to checkout on our list, since we were there we decided to try it. The cappuccino and espresso were actually really good and one of the better ones that we have had in a long time. My husband had the raspberry crossiant and complained that it wasn't flaky and I felt it wasn't as buttery for a french bakery. I had the tres leches cake and it was good but not anything I would go out of the way for.

• Visited January 2011
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great French Bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is a cute local bakery with reasonable prices! Great bread and pasteries!

New Orleans, LA
“This is a New Orleans gem! Best almond...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

This is a New Orleans gem! Best almond croissant I've had outside of France! I love this place. Oh, and the tea and coffee are good too! And the sticky bun is delicious too. I've never had the sandwiches, but I heard they are only so-so, but the pastries are amazing and I will continue to go back for more!