“Disappointed in an old haunt”
Review of Little Tokyo

Little Tokyo
Ranked #1,328 of 2,013 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed July 1, 2012

It's painful to write this because Little Tokyo is in my Mid City neighborhood and I've eaten there countless times. Maybe the last two times we had take-out was chef's night off. But that wouldn't account for the poor quality of the ingredients. My husband always has steak teriyaki. The last two times it was unchewable if not inedible, more gristle than lean meat. My shrimp tempura looked the same with nice big shrimp but tasted like old oil. The dinner salad lacked everything, not a scallion or carrot curl in sight and was utterly without taste. The squid salad may have been responsible for some late night unpleasantness. The penultimate time, we chalked it up to one bad night, and forgot about it, but twice seems like a trend. I've always liked eating lunch there. The ambiance is nice, the sushi good. I can't account for the really bad take-out, but will wait till someone else tells me that it's improved before I'll try it again.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

I did not realize this place was as nice as it is; you just wouldn't guess from the outside. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the interior is and how good the food is. The service was good as well. We will be back!

Reviewed February 27, 2010

We go to the Little Tokyo on N. Carrollton and we love the hibachi there! We always have the same chef and he is amazing! I would recommend this place to anyone. We only had a problem one time and it was with the server Gwen. There were no other hibachi tables sat at the time, so she wasn't busy, yet she brought us drinks and we never saw her again until we needed the check. She never refilled drinks, brought my sons highchair, brought my sons drink, or even asked how things were and the restaurant wasn't busy. In fact, we were the only table in there. By all means GO TO LITTLE TOKYO, but don't sit in Gwen's section.

Reviewed February 9, 2008

This review pertains to the N. Carrollton branch of Little Tokyo.

New Orleans has experienced an explosion in the growth of Asian-themed restaurants, and Japanese food is now ubiquitous across the city. Little Tokyo continues New Orleans' trend of good quality Japanese restaurants with a great selection of offerings from hibachi dinners to tempura and sushi.

The look of Little Tokyo has been updated with a modern, Asian-zen feel to the decor. With high ceilings and dim lighting (courtesy of fun, fish-shaped lights), a classy and upscale ambience is set. On my most recent visit, I took advantage of the hibachi room. While there were some initial problems with the slow heating of the hibachi grille, we still had a great time (our chef Yugi made the experience all the more memorable!)

For appetizers, I have to recommend the Agedashi tofu - it's by far my most favorite preparation of this tofu dish in the city. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and soaked in a wonderful spicy sauce, the tofu really hit the spot.

As for the hibachi dinners - they are quite filling. At around $20 a piece, they come with soup, salad, a grilled vegetable medley of zucchini and mushrooms, your choice of meat/seafood, rice and noodles. A great deal! I have to recommend both the tuna teriyaki and scallop dinners. Tuna is a great, meaty fish with lots of flavor, and the scallops were grilled to perfection. The drum and salmon were mediocre.

Finally, I have to comment on the service - the waitstaff was attentive. Even though we had to wait a while for the hibachi to get started, we were not ignored as we sat.

While it's no Benihana, Little Tokyo nevertheless makes a strong impression.