“Very good!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Walked by this place on the way into The French Quarter and decided to eat here. The chargrilled oysters were everything they're supposed to be: buttery, garlicky, lemony, and with no wait, unlike Acme right across the street. We also had the blackened gator (a little expensive for the portion) which was good. I had a fried shrimp poboy that I enjoyed very much, the breeding wasn't too thick and had the right amount of crunch, and a cup of gumbo, also good. I tried my husband jambalaya but want crazy about it. Overall, good location, reasonable prices (aside from the gator), great food, and still a single location that hasn't let the food go down hill by going chain. I would go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,402)

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have been visiting Felix's every few years since 1991. Why stand in line across the street when you can have great oysters, fabulous Blooy Marys and nice service at Felix's? I've had the po-boys, the oysters and the gator and have never been disappointed. Sit at the bar. Watch them shuck. Faye will take great care of you.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Had the sample player. It was ok but it came out in three little soup cups, not very much. Also, my crawfish etouffee might have had 2 crawfish in it. Nothing to write home about

Reviewed June 30, 2014

A chef friend had recommended we dine at Felix's in the heart of the Quarter and we set out for that destination on our group's first night in New Orleans. We passed it... twice. Once we found the unassuming entrance on a side street, we were quickly seated at a booth. Acme, another NOLA oyster institution, is the neighbor directly across the street, and the place where the lines remained constant.

Pay no attention to the early fluorescent-bulb decor, keep your focus on the oysters. The service was a little strained, we had to ask for drinks a couple of times, but our server was charming and friendly.

You must go with the char-grilled oysters, they were quite good! Other baked preparations are offered, like the standard Rockefeller, but there are also DuJour and Bienville, offering a local twist. DuJour are topped with buffalo hot sauce, and it was a trifle overpowering. Bienville had a baked herb/creamy crust topping. All of us preferred the simpler char-grilled oysters. We also sampled the etouffe, and a jambalaya.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Man I just had the best two dozen oysters on the half shell, perhaps I'm my life.
Staying around the corner on business figured a pony and some fresh oysters were in order. Competition across the street is out the door backed up. There's Felix's, in business in New Orleans over a hundred years. Walked in, greeted pleasantly, sat down and the oysters and Abita started coming. SO good. Oyster shockers are pro's and know this town inside out. Skip the trendy place where the tourists go. My new favorite "arster" house in New Orleans is Felix's!