“Hold on to your wallet!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cooter Browns Tavern & Oyster Bar
Ranked #287 of 1,918 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Chicago, Illinois
“Hold on to your wallet!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

As a N.O. ex-pat I'll stop in from time to time every couple of years or so. Cooter's was a neighborhood haunt for my gang many years back when so I know it well. Seems since the Storm things have been trying for most of the places in town and luckily this spot's got a great location so it's still here. Easy to find. Maybe too easy.

My last visit could serve as an ad for the Mississippi Tourist Bureau.

-$14 oysters...there was a time when they'd stop selling them if they got too pricey..poorly shucked....the oyster NEEDS to be separated from the shell, only one was. Rookie mistake.

-Bathrooms haven't been cleaned apparently since my last visit..same for the tables. It's a dump and you can tell that going in but it is the 21st century. No excuse for a bar that prominent to be so poorly maintained. EVEN in N.O.La.

-First two beer brands I ordered they no longer carry...both brands I regularly get anywhere in the country at any "beer centric" bar. Both brands I learned about at...Cooter's. Makes you wonder if they're even paying attention or maybe they lost a distributor for "whatever" reason.

-Here's the big one: WATCH YOUR CREDIT CARD!!! When I tried to settle my tab the staff of 3 (only about 10 people in the place on a Saturday night) couldn't produce my credit card or bill. After 15 minutes of huddling by the register the girl tells me "it's gone". Almost like she wanted me to just pay in cash. The other two wandered away from the conversation but hovered until I said I'd just call the cops.....You guessed it, THAT got them back in gear and my card was "found" seconds later. As I was signing off and figuring a tip ( yeah, I know but I grew up in the service industry, I always give servers the benefit of doubt ) one of the staff decides to get aggressive. When I warned him to back down he made like he was gonna come around the bar at me then apparently decided better of it. After asking the girl AGAIN for my tab I tipped/signed/left. The next day I had an interesting conversation with some goof calling himself Larry. No doubt now where the crap performance comes from. He comes off like he's never worked a day in his life. Not a clue. Poor Larry's so busy trying to evade the issue of his staff's incompetence and inform me of what a great place he's got he forgot to thank me for my decades of custom or my restraint with the punks he has running his bar. Couldn't care less about the apparently attempted I.D. theft. The New Orleans Police, on the other hand, were more than happy to hear about my concerns. Maybe they've heard it before. My credit card company actually showed TWO transactions from there, neither matched the amount I signed for....they took care of it.

Bottom line: If you're some neighborhood college kid who's used to dealing with half assed, petulant service, posses a robust immune system, and pay's cash it's not the worst place in the city. Burgers are good and they still have a decent beer menu. Otherwise you can find better food in a friendlier and cleaner atmosphere for less money about anywhere else Uptown.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank E S

Bailey, Colorado
“A great place to chill w/ friends.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

During my visit to NOLA my girlfriend took me here because I'm a beer drinker and Cooter's has an excellent beer selection. The tap selection was pretty good but the bottled selection was excellent.

We did not eat here but I'm told the food and the oyster bar are great.

The decor of wooden carvings of famous people w/ a beer in hand was interesting and cool.

I'm from Denver where smoking isn't legal in bars. I was concerned I would feel suffocated by a smokey atmosphere. Completely the opposite.

Rockford, Michigan
“Great Food - Excellent Beer selections”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were told to experience Cooter Brown's and it met expectations! Try the muffuletta! Truly a New Orleans unique treat!

Visited March 2013
Philadelphia
“Taking a college bar to whole new level”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

A college sports bar with a huge beer selection, fresh raw oysters, and the best sandwich grill in the city!!
Though the price of oysters has gone up in the last years - a dozen for $14 is still darn good - and they are about the juiciest in the city and they do much better holding on to the juice than most shuckers in the city. It also has one of the best sandwich shops I've ever been to - a mix of PoBoys and northeast deli with some fun fusions.
Lot o TVs to watch the games and lots of Tulane and Loyola students.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PENSACOLA
“Yummy Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We got the shrimp po boy, fries and chicken tenders. The fries are unique and yummy and the po boy was especially good!!

Visited December 2012