“Big disappointment”

Coop's Place
Ranked #155 of 1,946 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Madison, Wisconsin
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Seriously, DON'T EAT HERE. The food is terrible and overpriced, you have to share tables, and the staff is rude. We'd heard that this was a great place for jambalaya, but things must have gone downhill from what they used to be. My jambalaya was unrecognizable and flavorless; it looked and tasted like some kind of Chef Boyardee that had been heated and reheated for several days. The place did have a fun vibe and seemed like a good drinking spot; I've also been told that the staff's rudeness is purposeful shtick, but I couldn't tell. Unless you're just looking to drink, this is one to avoid.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank madgal72

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
“Best Jambalaya in town!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

No joke. Try it other places, and then try it here. You will be blown away. Wait staff was just so/so. Nothing to write home about (but it seems like that is common in nola) Just like everywhere else, you have to wait in line to get in, there is no putting your name on a list. Just eat the Jambalaya, and you will be happy you waited!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank emmamegan
Williamstown, MA
“Best fried chicken I've ever had!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This joint is such a joy, we ate here twice in our short time in New Orleans. The staff is part of the fun so sit at the bar and engage or at least observe. Don't go here for regular restaurant service, go for the food and the drink. The prices are great for the value of the meal. The fried chicken was honest to goodness, the best I've ever had. So tender, lightly breaded and nicely seasoned. I love having a choice of hot sauces for my meal too. The coleslaw is one of the top three in my life and the rabbit and sausage jambalaya was so delicious. You will eat well here. But if you need impeccable service and well attended bathrooms well.....some of the best food in New Orleans is never in those establishments. Yes, I've tried those too. Don't miss Coop's place. I know I won't on my next trip.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Gopher0011
New York City, New York
““ABSOLUTELY GROSS!!!””
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place is nasty....please tell me you did not see the back of the establishment where the kitchen and bathrooms are located and still continue to eat here. I think this place thinks it's "cool" and "hipster" well I have news for them, it’s just plain "Nasty." The food is nothing to write home about. Anyone can cook shrimp and rice and dump and ton of old bay and tomato sauce on it and call it shrimp creole. The waiters need to find a new gig if they are so unhappy. The "gutter punks" outside are really what makes this place top notch. There is nothing I like more while eating dinner than watch a bunch of kids outside beg for money and bother poor tourists so they can get their next fix and hang with their friends rather than just go home to mommy and daddy....but no that would not be "punk rock." Not my idea of a nice place to eat by any standards....not really sure what anyone else one this thread is referring to. With so many restaurants in NOLA to choose from there is no way I would ever look twice at this place....that's for sure!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Tim R
Columbia, South Carolina
“If you are interested in a local delight this is it!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

This place should be number one! It is a kind of whole in the wall...but wow! Not only is the menu origional, but the food is amazing! I loved the rabbit jumbalaya as well as the duck quesadilla and crab stuffed jalapenos. The rest of the group enjoyed the ettoffe and gumbo. Each of the meals was extremely well seasoned, and probably the cheapest place we ate in the quarter! Absolutely loved it!

• Visited November 2013