“A New Orleans Find”
Review of La Petite Grocery

La Petite Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
La Petite Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 1,976 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: General Pershing
Transit: The St. Charles Ave. Streetcar is a short walk to the restaurant. There are also Magazine Street bus stops located one block away.
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

One of the best things about New Orleans is the fantastic food that is offered in one city. La Petite Grocery adds to the fantastic food in NOLA with their southern twist.

La Petite was a real find on a quest of mine one Sunday. While searching for the perfect place for lunch my friend and I stumbled upon La Petite and decided to try it out. On Sunday you can choose items from the brunch menu or other lunch items such as the lobster roll. My mouth is watering just thinking about the lobster roll. I hope to make it back soon and try the dinner menu. If it is anything like the lunch menu then I know you will not be let down.

I highly recommend reservations when you go.

There are newer reviews for La Petite Grocery

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Our party of 7, visiting from California, had a wonderful dining experience here a couple of nights ago. To date, this has really been a highlight of our trip to New Orleans. We are foodies and enjoy a bounty of exceptional food on the west coast, and found the meal here rivaled any that we have had in San Francisco, New York, Seattle, or elsewhere. We especially enjoyed the great attention our waiter gave us, guiding us carefully through the cocktail and wine list, as well as the dinner menu. We essentially established our own tasting menu and he helped to facilitate the timing of the dishes to enhance the whole experience. The pasta was a big hit with us, but honestly we didn't have a bad dish the whole night. We would happily and eagerly return again. This restaurant set the bar high for all the others in NOLA, outperforming some of the better known places such as Cochon and Coquette. Well done!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

This review is not about the food so much as how we were treated at the beginning. I will say the food was average and the deserts were good. The issue is how we were treated by the chef/owner. We arrived for our reservation a little early and went to the bar to wait and have a drink. The drinks were good and the bartender was very nice. Then the hostess came over and said our table was about ready. Luckily, it was right behind us at the front window. As they were prepping our table, the manager seated a man at our table as it was being prepared. The hostess came over as the chef/owner was coming out to join the man at the table. She said to the chef/owner that this table was for a reservation already in the restaurant. Obviously he did not know who it was for because he said (which I did not hear, but my partner did) "I don't care" and sat down. The hostess didn't say anything to us, but walked away. My partner and I discussed the situation as we finished our drinks. Fifteen minutes later we were about to leave when she announced to us that our table was ready. I asked her about the original table and she said it was a miscommunication and apologized for the mixup. She could obviously see we were unhappy. As we walked by the hostess stand where the manager was standing, she explained to him we were very upset. He also apologized for the "mixup." There is no excuse for lack of communication. He should know the table situation before seating anyone. I'm sure he did if he is a professional. We decided to stay since we were hungry and it was late and had expectations of a tasty meal. He then said that he would take care of us. I never ask to be taken care of. I feel it is a sign of a good restaurant if they strive to make it up to you for something they do but if I have to ask for it, I take that as a sign that they really don't care for the customer. Our server was very good and knowledgeable about the menu. Neither the manager nor the hostess had anything else to say to us after we were seated. The food was ok, but I wish we had left and gone somewhere else. They did nothing to make up for the owner's actions. When the chef/owner says he does not care about a waiting customer, that just shows what kind of person he is. That is why I give the overall rating as a 1 but the other categories higher ratings. Shame on you "Top Chef" Justin. You never know who's listening. We'll take our money and our friends somewhere else.

5  Thank Tom O
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Darren was our waiter and he was spot on, on all his suggestions. The crab beignet was a great start along with the short rib appetizer. The root beer and spice from the kimchee worked wonderful in the dish. My friend had the hamburger which was excellent. A very high quality of meet was used. I had the shrimp and grits. We have been in New Orleans for a week and this was by far the best I have had to date. This restaurant had the perfect ambiance for a special lunch. I highly recommend this if you haven't been. It's about 15 mins from the French quarter. The neighbor hood, the warehouse district is a great place to walk and shop after your meal.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had brunch at La Petite Grocery on Sunday morning. The atmosphere is bright and airy. The service was good, but almost too good. We were seated and served almost immediately. We had planned to have a relaxing brunch with another couple, but we were in and out in 45 minutes. Our waiter was very nice and knowledgeable. We ordered waffles and an egg sandwich. They were served five minutes later, and although they were delicious, we just had wanted to relax a little longer. If you want a delicious brunch and don't want to linger, this is the perfect spot.