“Debris!”

Ranked #273 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Garden District
Description: Born in 1952, in the Irish Channel neighborhood, Parasol's is a New Orleans tradition that is known as THE place to go for roast beef po boys, and a huge St. Patricks Day block party. We are a neighborhood bar to the world, where everyone is welcome and treated like an old friend. Our kitchen is dedicated to taking old school New Orleans food to a new level of flavor and quality. Belly up to the old Irish bar and enjoy a pint of Guiness or wander upstairs to our smoke free dining room. You can indulge in our delicious food either way. Parasol's is a throw back to a simpler time when the social life of the neighborhood centered around the corner bar. A place where the stuff of life is discussed, celebrated and even mourned. At Parasol's it's all about you !
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Their roast beef po-boy (Debris) is the best! Go with good friends for a wonderfully messy meal with ice cold beer.

1  Thank Architecture_Lover

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We hit Parasols on March 26th. We had targeted that day as a Garden District, Lafayette Cemetary, Magazine street day. We were mid way through our Garden District exploration, and we headed down to just give Parasol's the once over. We got there around 10:30AM, the bar was open but not the restaurant. We peeked inside, said we were just looking around. The bartendar said, "hey, the restaurant is not open yet, but come back for a great Roast Beef Po Boy". We noted at the time the bar was pretty cigarette smoky. We headed back down to the Garden District to finish our exploration, and picture taking, then got back to Parasol's around 12:30PM. We entered through the bar, but took the back door into the restaurant. They were pretty busy, and the line was about 6 deep. There was an extensive menu, but the best way to order was to just take a glance at the tables around us and see what other people had ordered. It seemed most folks had ordered the Roast Beef, so that's what we decided to do. Plus we saw some awesome French fries covered in Roast Beef gravy with chunks of Roast beef in the gravy. Instead of a side dish, this could be ordered as it's own meal. We ordered the Roast Beef and the fries, then got a table. Seating in the immediate area was limited, but the side room had plenty of space. We were told when we ordered that they were processing a big takeout order, so "please be patient". I appreciated the candid, proactive alert. I walked into the bar to buy a beer. The bartendar gave me the beer, but said if you want to order from the food area, just ring the bell by the pass through door. Duly noted. The Po Boy and fries came soon enough, and one bite was all I needed. A great Po Boy, and great fries, gooey fries. The kind you eat with a knife and fork. Two thumbs up all around. We were put off by the smoke in the bar, but who cares really. We weren't sitting there. No smoke at all in the dining area. Great service, great food. Kinda divey, but it's also part of the experience.

4  Thank mrsleep
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a dive, seating is in the room behind the bar. Very popular for good reason. Probably as fine a roast beef or shrimp po-boy you could find anywhere. I'm only sorry I only had time to go once during my trip. The wait for the po-boys was absurdly long, but the first bite made everyone forget the length of the wait. I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank carolkb
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The only negative about Parasol's is that you may have to wait 35 to 40 minutes for your sandwich. From there, it's all terrific. I had fried shrimp on French bread and my wife, a roast beef po' boy. Our only problem was that we didn't have enough time in town to come back for more. While the wait was a little long, the service was very friendly, as were fellow diners. Don't miss Parasol's if you're in New Orleans.

2  Thank quintic
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I came on my fist trip ever to NOLA for business and researched all the options for the best oyster PO BOY. Ther are many trendy Bowtie picks down around the quarter, but I found this place and took 4 friends from all over the country with me. This is the real deal. The sandwich has upwards of a dozen great oysters on it and it is a classic neighborhood joint. If you have one chance to get a PO Boy...go here!!!! Owneris great, staff is great, food is off the hook!

2  Thank Carpebrew