“Excess service charge”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Me and my family recently ate at this establishment and found that an extreme amount of excess taxes was charged to our bill. We were charged a 20% service fee of which when we asked why they told us it was due to us being international visitors. On top of the service charge we were charged state taxes as well as paying gratuity. We were also told that they could not do this and when we questioned them they said it was due to the fact that other countries do no have the same tipping service as America does. This service fee was not mentioned anywhere on the menu or anywhere in the restaurant. I feel I have been discriminated against and would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1  Thank Ann H

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We could see Tony Moran's from our window at the Royal Sonesta, and, being from New Jersey, we couldn't pass up an Italian restaurant with good reviews. Our meals were excellent and our waiter very friendly and attentive. We decided to get the homemade spaghetti and the lasagne with creamed spinach, and our waiter kindly split each entree onto two long plates so we could share them and try each. Everything was delicious.

2  Thank SusieSunbeam
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Interesting atmosphere. Reminded us of an old New York restaurant. Wish we had known about upstairs. Need rest rooms on main floor. Food very good. Need more by the glass wine selection.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We went to Tony Moran's on the recommendation of my stepdaughter and her husband. The service was bad, we asked the waiter for separate checks and he presented everything on one check and asked for his tip in cash because he didn't want to pay taxes on his tip. My tip to him would have been to not quit his day job.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My girlfriend's and I were going out for dinner and mistakenly took this for being a nice restaurant. Our server was nice but obviously was not trained properly, this restaurant was not busy but it took 30 min to get our drinks. By the time we ordered, we had been there for about 45 min. An hour after we ordered we received 2 out of 3 entrees and did not receive the last entree until 45 min after the other two. At this point we had been at the restaurant for 2 hrs and were just getting our final entree (party of 4). I had ordered the fettuccini Alfredo for $17.99 and added shrimp for $9.99. I had 3 small, overlooked shrimp for that price. Also, the server informed us at the beginning of the meal that they were out of arugula, scallops and oysters...we are in New Orleans! Also he said that they did not have any frozen Bellini, but on departure we saw a frozen Bellini machine in working order at the bar.

We asked to speak to the manager who was rude but did eventually take the last entree off of our bill. Extremely disappointed that we wasted so much time and money at this establishment.