“pretty good place”
Review of Palace Cafe

Palace Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Palace Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 1,954 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Chartres Street
Transit: Easily accessible by the Saint Charles Streetcar & the Canal Street car.
Description: For two decades Palace Cafe has been serving award-winning, contemporary Creole cuisine in the historic Werlein Music building. Located downtown, at the entrance to the French Quarter, this Dickie Brennan restaurant is popular with visitors & locals alike.
chicago
“pretty good place”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

the turtle soup is quite good --- in the brennan's -commander's palace style, the service is competent and quite pleasant. this is an overlooked restaurant, fairly easy to get a table even when everything else is booked, and actually pretty good. not perhaps a primary destination, but very serviceable in a pinch.

• Polish first
Alexandria, Virginia
“good food, relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The Palace Cafe is not as over-the-top in price as many of NOLA's top tier restaurants, but it is a gorgeous space, the service is good, and the dinner I had was very good. Two members of my party had the seafood cheesecake as a starter and they certainly loved it; I had the swordfish a la panzanilla - and it was the only entree I had in New Orleans that was not overly salty or spicy - just good, beautifully grilled swordfish with black olives, tomatoes and beautiful croutons. The restaurant was a little loud the night we were there; there was a wedding party nearby, but I'd go again without hesitation.

Hamburg, New York
“Great food and Service”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The Crab Cheesecake was awesome!!! We had 2 servers who were excellent and attened to our every need. Dinner was great and filling, we did not get dessert we were way to full. We will get it on our next trip!!!

New York
“Overrated and Disappointed”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Our evening dining with friends turned out to be filled with disappointing service and cold food. One guest had a dish that turned up late after others had almost finished eating. My husband ordered the steak and shrimp entree and said the steak was cold. I ordered the duck and it was way too salty for my taste.

• Visited April 2014
Delaware
“Lots of better choices”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I'm really trying to be objective about the overall experience here, but the service was just so bad it clouds any high points. We visited for a Friday night dinner. Had to wait about 15 minutes, which was fine except that you're waiting in a high traffic area near the bar that servers are constantly trying to get through. The hostess was very friendly and pulled out our chairs when seating us, but it was 10-15 minutes before anyone came back to our table and that was just to say she wasn't really helping us but someone else would be over soon to take a drink order. Eventually our orders were taken and it didn't take terribly long for our food. I had the Fire and Blood Margarita, the seafood gumbo, and a shrimp dish dish that I can't pronounce while hubby also had the gumbo, followed by the filet. The gumbo was very tasty but still had bits of shrimp shell in it. My shrimp dish was very tasty and filling. Hubby said his filet was cooked very nicely and he enjoyed it except that the bleu cheese topping was a little strong. The service was just all around terrible - slow, not very engaging, and just expected more. It didn't seem to just be our table either. The other problem with this restaurant is that it was insanely loud, to the point where we couldn't hold a conversation. Maybe we just caught them on a bad night, but there are so many wonderful restaurants in New Orleans I wouldn't recommend wasting a meal on this one.

• Visited April 2014