“Found a gem”
Review of Mr. B's Bistro

Mr. B's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr. B's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 1,963 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Mr. B's Bistro, (since 1979) owned by Cindy Brennan of the famous Brennan Restaurant Family, is located in the heart of the French Quarter. Signature dishes include Mr. B's famous Barbequed Shrimp, Gumbo Ya Ya, and Bread Pudding with Irish Whiskey Sauce. $1.50 martinis and bloody marys each weekday during lunch.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Found a gem”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled into this restaurant by chance while walking down Royal Street. Everything was spot on. Food, ambience, service levels. This restaurant excelled in all categories. A must visit when staying in "Nawlins".

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Lenox, Massachusetts
“Best BBQ shrimp in New Orleans”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was our second trip to New Orleans and both times we have included Mr. B's Bistro on our restaurant choices. I have had the BBQ shrimp in other restaurants in the city, but by far this beats the others. The portion is very generous and served with a loaf of French bread so you can get every last drop of sauce in the dish.

Both times have been for lunch and it is usually a mix of business people and tourists. It has been full but we have never experienced a wait. The staff is very attentive and quick with the service. Upon entering the restaurant, you may think that it is a bit formal, but it is not. There wasn't a dress code but I probably wouldn't go in flipflops and shorts.

In addition to the BBQ shrimp, the gumbo is the best as well with just the right consistency and spices.

Rockville, MD
“My Go-To restaurant in New Orleans.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was recently in New Orleans for a convention and my first meal that evening was at Mr. B's Bistro. You can't go wrong and it's great New Orleans cuisine. The BBQ shrimp is the best I have ever had at a restaurant . The Gumbo ya ya is rich with a dark roux and delicious. I was alone so I sat at the bar. Service was excellent and I met awesome people while eating. It was a great meal and very pleasant evening. The menu is offers a variety of meat, poultry and seafood. I tend to stick to my favorite New Orleans dishes while visiting that I can't get at home. Enjoy!

Houston, Texas
“Lovely restaurant, can't wait to go back.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I decided to go to Mr. B's based on reviews of this restaurant by two friends. It was easy walking distance to my hotel and had the same claim to the best BBQ Shrimp as the restaurant I had been to the night before. It was a Tuesday night and by the time I arrived at a little after 7, there was a 30 minute wait for a table. Luckily, they serve dinner at the bar, which is my favorite place to eat when I am traveling alone.

I was tempted to try the BBQ shrimp, but found myself debating between the Honey-Ginger Glazed Pork Chop and the Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Grits. I asked the bartender which one he would recommend and based on the fact I had only tried Shrimp and Grits once before, he recommended that dish. I also ordered the Garlic Truffle Fries as a starter.

I had a wonderful Grey Goose Martini to sip on while I waited for my fries. I think that just seeing white truffle and fries together caused me to have a flash back of the most amazing fries I have ever had at a now closed restaurant in Houston. So I didn't notice in the description that the fries just had white truffle oil, not the shavings of white truffle I was dreaming of. Still, the roasted garlic and cheese with the truffle oil was a nice combination. Mine had rosemary as the herb rather than the thyme listed on the menu, and it was underneath the fries so I didn't discover it until I was halfway through the dish. Once I discovered the rosemary, the dish had a more interesting balance of flavors.

When the Shrimp and Grits arrived, I asked the bartender for a wine recommendation. He recommended a riesling, which I hesitated to order as I prefer a dry white wine. But he insisted it would be great with the dish and I am glad I took his recommendation. My first bite of the bacon wrapped shrimp seemed so rich, I wasn't sure I would be able to finish it. But then a bite of the grits, which were heavenly, and a sip of the wine, it was a wonderful dish. I have only had grits twice before. Both times they seemed OK, so I am not by any means an authority on grits. But I could eat those grits every single day.

As it turns out, the bartender who recommended the shrimp, ended up telling me the pork chop is his favorite thing on the menu. So I will have to go back to try that, but oh those grits....

The restaurant has a great atmosphere and seemed to have a good mix of locals as well as tourists, which is a good sign in a tourist town. All the waitstaff were friendly, helpful, and efficient. I can't wait to go back for the pork chop, but I am going to have to have it with a side of those grits.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Westwind13
Fresno, California
“A must visit place in the Big Easy”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

What an awesome restaurant. IF your looking for a taste of some authentic Cajun food, this is the place. Had dinner there on the Sunday of the French Quarter Festival and was really impressed. Be sure to get Michael at the bar to make you a Bloody Mary. I guarantee you it will be the best you have ever had.

Their signature dish, BBQ Shrimp is worthy of the name signature dish. The sauce is unlike anything I have ever tasted. Sooooo good! Their fried oysters are also just plain spectacular.