“Lovely restaurant, can't wait to go back.”
Review of Mr. B's Bistro

Mr. B's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr. B's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,992 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Mr. B's Bistro, (since 1979) owned by Cindy Brennan of the famous Brennan Restaurant Family, is located in the heart of the French Quarter. Signature dishes include Mr. B's famous Barbequed Shrimp, Gumbo Ya Ya, and Bread Pudding with Irish Whiskey Sauce. $1.50 martinis and bloody marys each weekday during lunch.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I decided to go to Mr. B's based on reviews of this restaurant by two friends. It was easy walking distance to my hotel and had the same claim to the best BBQ Shrimp as the restaurant I had been to the night before. It was a Tuesday night and by the time I arrived at a little after 7, there was a 30 minute wait for a table. Luckily, they serve dinner at the bar, which is my favorite place to eat when I am traveling alone.

I was tempted to try the BBQ shrimp, but found myself debating between the Honey-Ginger Glazed Pork Chop and the Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Grits. I asked the bartender which one he would recommend and based on the fact I had only tried Shrimp and Grits once before, he recommended that dish. I also ordered the Garlic Truffle Fries as a starter.

I had a wonderful Grey Goose Martini to sip on while I waited for my fries. I think that just seeing white truffle and fries together caused me to have a flash back of the most amazing fries I have ever had at a now closed restaurant in Houston. So I didn't notice in the description that the fries just had white truffle oil, not the shavings of white truffle I was dreaming of. Still, the roasted garlic and cheese with the truffle oil was a nice combination. Mine had rosemary as the herb rather than the thyme listed on the menu, and it was underneath the fries so I didn't discover it until I was halfway through the dish. Once I discovered the rosemary, the dish had a more interesting balance of flavors.

When the Shrimp and Grits arrived, I asked the bartender for a wine recommendation. He recommended a riesling, which I hesitated to order as I prefer a dry white wine. But he insisted it would be great with the dish and I am glad I took his recommendation. My first bite of the bacon wrapped shrimp seemed so rich, I wasn't sure I would be able to finish it. But then a bite of the grits, which were heavenly, and a sip of the wine, it was a wonderful dish. I have only had grits twice before. Both times they seemed OK, so I am not by any means an authority on grits. But I could eat those grits every single day.

As it turns out, the bartender who recommended the shrimp, ended up telling me the pork chop is his favorite thing on the menu. So I will have to go back to try that, but oh those grits....

The restaurant has a great atmosphere and seemed to have a good mix of locals as well as tourists, which is a good sign in a tourist town. All the waitstaff were friendly, helpful, and efficient. I can't wait to go back for the pork chop, but I am going to have to have it with a side of those grits.

2  Thank Westwind13

Reviewed April 16, 2013

What an awesome restaurant. IF your looking for a taste of some authentic Cajun food, this is the place. Had dinner there on the Sunday of the French Quarter Festival and was really impressed. Be sure to get Michael at the bar to make you a Bloody Mary. I guarantee you it will be the best you have ever had.

Their signature dish, BBQ Shrimp is worthy of the name signature dish. The sauce is unlike anything I have ever tasted. Sooooo good! Their fried oysters are also just plain spectacular.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Recommended by our hotel as good NOLA restaurant with typical fare. This was a little more upscale with very attentive servers. Food was good. I had the scallops and they were very tasty. Others in my group had cajun fish or steak and everyone was happy.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Mr. B's stands out from the crowd in decor, bar, service, value and most of its food. The Soups 1-1-1 was wonderful as were the Duck Spring rolls with spinach and goat cheese. but the reason we went there this trip was the BBQ shrimp (supposedly the best in NOLA now.) The portions were good, the sauce very good, temperature good but the shrimp were way, way overcooked making them tough, leathery and close to unpeelable and thus almost inedible. They could do a lot better since their on cookbook recipe warns about overcooking and its results. Back to the beginning-where is the best BBQ shrimp in NOLA? Not here!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

the bbq shrimp were indeed as awesomely good as everyone says. my bf's wood-grilled fish was okay. you could definitely taste the wood, but there was a serious lack of seasoning. the apps (3 soup flight, scallops) were good, not mind-blowing. the desserts were mediocre. the servers were nice, but the service was seriously confused. this is really more of a 3.5 but 4.