“You HAVE to do the "feed me" dinner!”
Review of Louisiana Bistro

Louisiana Bistro
Ranked #287 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed August 13, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Prince Conti hotel each of the three times we've been in New Orleans and have noticed the small little bistro across the street on Dauphine each time, but we thought it was only a breakfast/lunch place. This time, on the recommendation of our bartender in The Bombay Club and our checking the reviews here, my wife and I made reservations for dinner on Saturday, 7/12. As has been noted, it is a small place inside. We were feeling adventurous and decided to try the 3-course Feed Me. While waiting for our first course we saw another couple opting for the same thing and it looked really good. Much to our surprise, our courses were totally different from theirs! Our first course was the frog legs. Now, growing up in the country in Indiana I've had frog legs before, but these were incredible...so moist and so tasty! The second course was quail with rice and andouille sausage...again very moist and flavorful. Our main course was swordfish with the chef's "basterdized" sauce. Oh my gosh, it was SO GOOD! It was the best swordfish my wife and I have EVER eaten! With each course, the waiter would bring it out and then Chef Mars would come to the table to explain what it was, its ingredients, and how it was made.
We now have a new favorite restaurant in New Orleans...Muriel's is still our second favorite...and we will definitely eat here each time we visit. The menu looks really good, but if you're adventurous you need to do the Feed Me. Chef Mars will not do you wrong!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

The food here was excellent and reasonably priced (yeah, in New Orleans!). Make a reservation or eat early in the evening. The place is small and fills up.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Two of us dined here for a celebratory meal. I had read other reviews that recommended the Feed Me option, and I convinced my companion that it was the best course of action: see, everyone at your table needs to opt in, or no one gets to have it. We got it. It was sooooooooooooooo good.
The appetizer was frog's legs, which taste like chicken, in case you're wondering. They were coated in something crunchy and fried, and they were delicious. I can't remember what the main was, other than that it, too, was full of flavour. For dessert, they served a vanilla bean ice cream that was drizzled with balsamic vinegar. If you're thinking, "Ew, gross, why would they put salad dressing on ice cream?" stop right now. This balsamic must be aged quite a bit because its consistency was that of chocolate sauce, not vinegar, and its sweet-tartness was fantastic with the vanilla ice cream.
The chef was very friendly (who isn't, really, in this town?) and explained what each dish was. Our server was great, and even recommended a good 24-hour diner nearby for some early grub.
This restaurant is easy to walk by, easy to miss, but it's worth trying. I would go back, I would ask them to Feed Me again, and next time, I would pay closer attention to what the chef says when he describes my main course!

1  Thank Travelincoach
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Absolutely EVERYTHING we ate was phenomenal. We expected it to be good but were surprised at just how good every single dish was. Enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. Service very pleasant. You really come here for the food, though. Chef personally followed up to confirm our reservation. We will be coming back here.

1  Thank San Antonio member
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Recommended by our bartender at the Dauphine Hotel, Best meal in Louisiana. Tiny place, excellent service, foor was to die for.