“Excellent Food...Fun Staff”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Recently my sister and myself had the opportunity to eat at Louisiana Bistro. I had the special which was duck and it was really good. Overall both of our meals were very good (sister had the Louisana Couvillon) and the staff was very helpful and fun to be around. We talked to others at the other guest as it is not a big place and easy to get to know those around you. The location in the Quarter is nice and was close to the Inn we were staying.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We are HARD to please. Visiting New Orleans included a number of local places (reviews elsewhere eventually), but we were extremely glad we stumbled into Louisiana Bistro. We'd actually had reservations elsewhere but realized it wasn't going to be a New Orleans experience and cancelled that for this.

We'd read all the comments, particularly about the "Feed Me" concept. It is true that, at least the night we were there, it wasn't mentioned by the waiters. It IS listed at the bottom of the menu, but doesn't say what it is. Fortunately we have TripAdvisor to have guided us in the right direction. We saw that some people did not have a good experience with their "feed me", but all we can say is we got some truly wonderful food.

We asked if "Feed Me" was an option. It was. The waiter merely asks if you want 3,4 or 5 courses. He warned us even 4 courses was a LOT of food, but we went for it anyhow (yes we were stuffed but grateful we'd done it and also glad we didn't add a fifth as we were going along; waiter said we could if we let him know early on). From our experience, the last course is pretty much a regular entree size, the others appetizers (though not necessarily a small plate!)

Then Chef Mars comes out. (Check the website, he was a photojounalist) who wanted to open a 40 seat place in New Orleans where he could cook EVERYTHING. He asks if you are allergic to anything or dislike anything, or could he do WHATEVER HE WANTED. Trust us. Tell him to do whatever he wants (save for allergies). Don't tell him there is something you don't like. He is an extremely talented and creative chef. Let him go wild. We think that is what he thinks he is there for and we found that to be true.

So here's what we had:

-Fried Frog's Legs (perfectly breaded/fried) with a light sauce to sop up (there's some pretty decent bread provided throughout the meal)

-Spiced Rubbed Escolar with a tasty Worcestershire/honey sauce

-Quail with greens in pot likker spiced with black pepper (still can taste it in our heads)

-Smoked Ribs (falling off the bone) over jambalaya (we were full but ate it all)

The Chef comes out to explain each course as it is served.

We had a wonderful meal. The waiters (Sam and Justin, they wrote their names on a card for us when we told them how wonderful it was) were fine. This is just a small place. We were there in what is probably off season and didn't have a problem getting a reservation, but suspect you might want to do so in advance most of the time.

We actually called to ask about dress code (remember at some places coats are required). We know from watching it happen as we were there that is was Chef Mars who answered the phone and he said to them, as he said to us on the phone: "This is the French Quarter, just wear something." (Or words to that effect.)

As we said, we saw the 1 star reviews, so (go ahead and read them), but we were impressed and our experience was most definitely 5 stars all the way.

3  Thank traveler98761
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Order the Louisana Couvillon if you want a dinner with NO Food. My plate came with shrimp,fish,andouille sausage,rice and crawfish.

1  Thank SmilingSteve4
Reviewed November 11, 2013

After we checked into our hotel (The Frenchmen) we went on a walkabout to refamiliarise ourselves with the French Quarter. It had been 20 years since our first trip (our honeymoon) and our flight delivered us to NOLA early in the day on our return. During our stroll we stopped at Louisiana Bistro for a bite of lunch and a drink to start our vacation/celebration. We asked to sit on the balcony since the weather was nice, and they gave us a great spot right at the corner of the building where we had an uninterrupted view up the streets in all directions. It was a tight fit and the table was lopsided, but the view was good. I ordered a bowl of gumbo and my wife had a salad. Cajun food just tastes better in Louisiana! The gumbo was delicious in a way that’s different from home. The flavors are layered and complex. It’s truly better.

Of course we also had champagne! I forget what our waiter’s name was, but he was very nice and friendly and gave us some tips for other places to try while we were in town, the main spot being the Praline Connection (I reviewed that too). It’s not expected that wait staff will tell you about other restaurants to try, but I’m glad he did. I’d eat at Louisiana Bistro again for that reason alone, not to mention the food is good!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

After reading these reviews, I was surprised to experience such a let down. The location is great. The interior is low-fi but intimate enough. Our server was very good, and friendly. We asked if the "Feed Me" tonight included organ meats--sweetbreads and such. Our waiter said, no. Soon after Chef comes to table and describes the Feed Me gig so fast with no eye contact that we had to have him repeat his apparently oft-repeated spiel. He asked if we had food allergies. We said no, but weren't into offal/organ meats, but the waiter said they weren't in the mix tonight. He got really irritated and said, "Who said that?" We replied that perhaps we didn't want to tell him so the waiter wouldn't get fired with a sort giggle, but he wasn't having it. "I can look at slip to figure out who told you that. I have to have total control. It's whatever I come up with." So okay, we let it go and rolled the dice. Aside from the quail course, the other three courses were way over sauced and spiced to the degree that you didn't know what you were eating. We pointed this out and were summarily ignored. The main pork dish was so dry we took two bites and were done. From reading past reviews, it appears this Feed Me thing is not an ever-changing thing, as many dished written about here were put in front of us. I guess that's no big deal, but why the attitude? I suspect he knew exactly what he was cooking, but refused to go off script. We're usually pretty easy to please, but this was just not a good time.

3  Thank Go4Travelyo