“Lamb cooked to perfection!”
Review of Louisiana Bistro

Louisiana Bistro
Ranked #288 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed May 24, 2013

A very quaint and romantic spot. I wasn't in the mood to eat, my stomach was a little unsettled. My first choice was the special of the day shrimp Creole, a familiar dish in my family. However our server thought it may not be the right choice because of how I felt and he was right. The peppered lamb was superb with BBQ sauce over grits made me feel 100% better. My husband enjoyed the Surf and Turf cooked prefectly rare. God bless Chef Mars and thank you for making sure we were okay.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

One of the best benefits of visiting New Orleans and the French Quarter is the effortless ability to find good food! During our stay, we got REALLY lucky to walk past and "discover" the Louisiana Bistro on Dauphine Street!

This Big Easy eatery was just off the beaten path and the restaurant was small and intimate, with only about 12 tables and limited evening only business hours. After checking out the menu posted outside, we decided to be adventurous and give it a try. One item in particular stood out on the appetizer section of the menu........."boudain balls"! My husband was raised in Lake Charles, LA and was totally obsessed with finding "boudain" sausage the entire time we were in NOLA. For those who don't know about boudain, (pronounced "Boo dan") it can be made from various meat (usually pork or seafood) chopped up fine and mixed with "dirty rice" stuffed into a pork intestine casing.

We ordered the lightly fried boudin balls served with a great dipping sauce. From that delicious dish on, we were pleasantly surprised at the outstanding dinner entrees that followed! We ordered gumbo first (which is usually the standard for determining the "authenticity" of good Southern food) and I have to say that it was the BEST we had during our entire stay! I had the roasted duck entree which was crispy, tender and flavorful (NOT greasy or "gamie") served with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh asparagus. The basket of yummy warm bread was never empty and our waiter, Justin was friendly, personable and his service was great! I can't recall the specific name of the dessert that the three of us shared, but it was chocolate, raspberry and delicious!!

We left this restaurant with only one regret ........Having never been there before, we did not recognize that they offered a set price per person "Feed Me", where the chef creates a custom meal just for you! The couple sitting across from us was thoroughly enjoying the experience! I guess this is our standing excuse to go back! Our family really enjoyed this French Quarter restaurant and the menu here is very unique and creative. The chef at this little gem is extremely talented and serious about his culinary creations! I would recommend a reservation, as this place is small and gets crowded very quickly! It is a bit too gourmet and expensive for small kids, but our 17 year old daughter thoroughly enjoyed this place! Just GO!!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We did the "Feed Me" and loved it. Out 2nd course was quail in a roux with greens. Unbelievable!! We had to get another basket of bread so we could sop up the sauce once we had licked the bones clean. I could have eaten that dish all night!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Once again this place rocks. Small intimate dining w/ out standing food. The wine list needs serious help though. Service was great .I love eating here and will go back next time I am there

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I read about Louisiana Bistro on Tripadvisor and intended to get the "Feed Me" option. However, you need to be an adventurous eater to make the cut . Our waiter pre-screened us and told me I was borderline (my husband made the cut but it has to be everyone at the table or no one), so after speaking with the chef he thought it would be better for me to order off the menu. While he wouldn't reveal what the actual menu was he asked if I would eat Rabbit, sweetbreads, etc. So, while I was initially disappointed, I was actually relieved. Meanwhile my husband wished I wasn't such a wuss. Anyway, we had a fantastic meal all the same. Cajun Surf & Turf ( filet with crawfish tails) and a wonderful flaky white fish (the name of which I can't remember) topped with lump crap meat in a beurre blanc sauce. We also had the fried green tomatoes with jalapeno hollandaise and a salad as starters. For dessert we had the homemade freshly made cream cheese ice-cream with strawberry's and a balsamic sauce. We were there during Jazz Fest when they were not taking reservations but we lucked out and only had a 10 minute wait. While waiting we were able to enjoy a glass of wine out front (in a real glass - not plastic) ! We will come back next time we are in New Orleans!