“Now I "Get" Po' Boys”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mid-City
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We discovered Katie's by chance - while we were visiting New Orleans a Groupon popped up. Until we got there we didn't even recall it had been on DIners, Drive-ins and Dives. We arrived around 1:00 and it was packed but our wait wasn't long. We order a Cochon du Lait and Fried Green Tomato and Shrimp Po' Boy.

These were absolutely the best Po' Boys we have ever had in New Orleans. And we've had a few. They were so flavourful and not dry, like many of the others we have eaten.

We will definitely go back on our next visit.

1  Thank SherreeLynn

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We ate at katie's last Friday with much antisipation. Others in my group had been there before and spoke very highly of the establishment. Boy, they were right on the money. We had oysters slessinger (named after a friend of ours) are crazy good. Everything we had off the menu was strong. Dessert, you can't go wrong with bread pudding. We will be backnext time we're in NOLA.

1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Period 4
Lights, Camera, Pizza! Katie’s, a famous restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana feeds every taste bud. After being featured on the hit food network show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, the restaurant's level of popularity shot up. Katie’s went through the catastrophe of Hurricane Katrina and went out of business for four and a half years. Outside of the restaurant they have marked a line showing how high, almost 6 feet, the water was up to during Katrina. Katie’s remains a truly remarkable restaurant that has survived one of the biggest hurricanes to ever come through the United States of America.
As soon as you arrive at Katie’s the wait staff greets and gets you seated as soon as possible. The wait for a table is not long at all and they always make sure they give you seating where you request. Courteous and passionate about the job, the servers never fail to answer all your questions and make sure your experience is fabulous. Also the wait for your food isn’t very long and the servers make sure before they bring the food you ordered to your table. The owner of Katie’s also walks around making you feel like a special customer. The service at Katie’s is outstanding and they make sure you have the best experience possible at their restaurant.
The aspect that stands out the most at Katie’s certainly has to be the food. The menu clearly states what dishes are staff favorites and those dishes which were featured on the television show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The garlic cheese bread is deliciously garlicky, and packed with butter and cheese and served with a flavor blasted side of marinara. The Boudreaux pizza is absolutely stunning as well. It’s full of red onions, garlic, scallions, spinach and their famous cochon de lait. The pizza has lots of spices and makes your mouth water for more once you finish it. The Katie’s chefs are very talented and definitely know how to serve food that keeps people coming back for more.
When you walk into Katie’s, it's very attractive with a very warm and inviting entrance. It's rather dark in the dining room but creatively lit up by some very modern, new lights. Partially closed off from the rest of the restaurant, Katie’s added a small bar. The only downside to the décor and atmosphere would be that the tables are a little bit close to each other making it a bit noisy. Even though Hurricane Katrina struck this restaurant, you would never know as this restaurant’s reconstruction makes it feel completely new.
Katie’s is a fascinating place to eat brunch, lunch or dinner. This restaurant gives you everything you want when you go to a restaurant and more. The food, atmosphere, décor, and service are all five star, making Katie’s a top notch restaurant for anyone who visits it. When you eat at Katie’s, it’s astonishing to know you are eating somewhere that had survived Hurricane Katrina and still has great food coming out of the kitchen that pleases every one.

1  Thank SomersetChevyChase
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We sat outside for brunch on a Sunday morning. It was a little too warm but they have fans set up outside. My seat at the table happened to be in the ever encroaching sun, which was not entirely pleasant but also didn't ruin the meal. The neighborhood in mid city is super quaint.

I opted for the Italian sausage frittata, which was delicious and far too big. I gave about three quarters to my fiancé to finish. It came with a small cup of fresh fruit and a salad. The salad was totally unnecessary (and wilted next to the hot food), but the fruit featured a gigantic blackberry that I joyfully smeared all over my palate and thought of the intro to True Blood.

Katie's features what must be every variety of Tabasco on the tables from garlic to buffalo style (I've lived here almost my entire life and didn't even know some of the varieties existed), but I didn't try any on my food.

It was an overall pleasant experience to begin a relaxing Sunday. I would definitely go back for lunch of dinner but I might only sit outside in better weather.

2  Thank Lea W
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was quite impressed with this fantastic restaurant. We started with an order of the onion rings and an order of stuffed mushrooms. The onion rings were very good, second only to Arnauds, those are really really good, and the stuffed mushrooms were very tasty, they was a bit of water in the bottom of the serving dish, but I have never ordered stuffed mushrooms and didn't have water in the dish. Now for the best part, the entree's, or what I choose to have as an entree. The broiled oysters are absolutely fantastic, and the barbecued baby back ribs are by far the best i have ever tasted, hands down bar none. I read the terrible reviews that Katie's received and I completely disagree with the one that insults the water. Really, you complain about the water? Get a grip, I completely discounted that review.

1  Thank Mattallan