“Amazing”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mid-City
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was quite impressed with this fantastic restaurant. We started with an order of the onion rings and an order of stuffed mushrooms. The onion rings were very good, second only to Arnauds, those are really really good, and the stuffed mushrooms were very tasty, they was a bit of water in the bottom of the serving dish, but I have never ordered stuffed mushrooms and didn't have water in the dish. Now for the best part, the entree's, or what I choose to have as an entree. The broiled oysters are absolutely fantastic, and the barbecued baby back ribs are by far the best i have ever tasted, hands down bar none. I read the terrible reviews that Katie's received and I completely disagree with the one that insults the water. Really, you complain about the water? Get a grip, I completely discounted that review.

1  Thank Mattallan

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Katie's is a wonderful example of a New Orleans neighboorhood restaurant. No reservations so arrive early! Packed house at 6 p.m. Our party of 7 waited only 30 minutes for a table. Enjoyed Katie's signature cocktail, Mid-City Punch, at the bar. We were seated at a round table - great for a group! Menu is a wonderful menagerie of New Orleans greatest hits. We had the crawfish beignet and a Boudreaux pizza as appetizers. For my entree' I had one of the night's specials - a seafood sampler with charbroiled oysters, grilled shrimp, & a crabcake with lump crabmeat & remoulade sauce. Other entrees were grilled trout, shrimp remoulade & fried green tomato poor-boy, hamburger steak with onion rings, BBQ ribs, and lasagna. Everything was delicious! The lasagna is one of the best I've tasted in a restaurant. The service was attentive and unhurried, and food came out quickly. We're locals & this was our first visit. We will definitely be back!

3  Thank ParishWhoDat
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Off the beaten path but well worth the trip...we loved the eggplant fries and the Boudreaux pizza was delicious...great service and the locals come here to eat so its not a tourist trap...just up the Canal Streetcar and a short walk..save room for dessert and take the short walk to Brocatos for outstanding dessert.....

2  Thank Sue B
Reviewed August 13, 2012

something for everyone. we had 12 people and we were late getting there. they accomidated us and wow was it awesome!!! we calld ahead and told them we were coming. they closed at 10 and we arrived at 9:15. we were seated after about 5 minutes of waiting. the wait staff was aweome. the food was GREAT. and the owner even came to the table and talked to us. i would definately recommend this to anyone that has a taste for some good food. I will be back again.

2  Thank bereca
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had to try Katie's since I had tried it on a previous trip to NO prior to Katrina based on recommendations from Tom Fitzmorris' NO website devoted to eating out in NO. After trying it then based on his reviews and finding it delicious, we then saw it on an episode of Diners, Drive-In and Dives and decided to stop there this time since my husband had missed out on the earlier trip.

We ended up eating here twice during our stay and both times we easily found a parking spot and seat inside, but bear in mind we are early dinner eaters (around 5-6) and I got the impression that most people probably eat later than that in NO. If you are worried about parking and are staying anywhere on Canal (or close to Canal) be aware that the Canal St streetcar has a stop very close so you would only have to walk a short distance.

The inside is *very* small (I'm always amazed by how much larger these places look on Triple D) and when we were there it wasn't noisy but I could see easily how it could be if all the tables were full. I think Thursday night is popular since they had $10 pizza night and they do have some creative sounding pizzas, though we didn't try any.

The first time we went, I ordered the crawfish beignet as my meal (it is listed as an appetizer), my husband had the All-You-Can eat catfish, and my son had the seafood sampler platter. It was all delicious, but we were slightly uncomfortable since we had arrived a little before 5 and everyone seemed a bit put out that we had arrived so early for dinner. They didn't seem to know for sure what the specials were and didn't have them written on the black board yet.

The crawfish beignet was really awesome, but I would note that it was incredibly rich and I would challenge any one person to finish it. I shared a bunch with my husband and son, and then had a bit of the fried oysters from my son's dinner. The catfish was good according to my husband, but not necessarily so good he would order it again, and the seafood platter was crazy huge and we all enjoyed snatching a piece here and there when my son wasn't paying attention :).

Since the service was only a bit off the first time (not warm and cozy but no real errors or delays), and the food was great, we decided to go back a couple of nights later. This time we got a male waiter that was just the tiniest bit pretentious. This time we felt more uncomfortable than the time before even though we were there slightly later and there were quite a few other diners even though the tables weren't all full.

We also had an awkward moment because my 13 year old son had queried the hostess while he was waiting for us to get in the door of the restaurant (it took us a bit longer because we were parking and getting the car locked up). He was just asking if the crawfish tails could be ordered separately since he had enjoyed this the most from the sampler platter he had before. Unbeknownst to him, the hostess must have said something to our waiter though he never said anything to us. The next thing we knew, he was walking by the table while we were still deciding what we would order and he told us our crawfish tails would be out shortly. We asked what crawfish tails? And then he told us that he put an order in because he thought that is what we wanted as an appetizer? Maybe I'm the only one that finds that a bit presumptuous that he didn't verify, and I kind of felt bad since it turned out my son decided he wanted to order something else.

This time my son ordered the make-your-own pasta and got the penne with the bucksomething alfredo (can't remember the exact name but it was described as a slightly spicier and cajun seasoned alfredo sauce) and grilled shrimp. The sauce was awesome and he decided if we returned he would probably get the fried crawfish tails instead of the grilled shrimp since he tried a few of these from my husband's meal (this time my husband got the huge sampler platter my son got the last time) and he said they went great with the sauce even though he was doubtful when he ordered that they would. I got the hamburger steak so that I could compare it to the one I got the previous night at Joey K's. I thought it was good but that Joey K's was just slightly better (and slightly less expensive).

I also want to point out that their website seems to be stuck (at least as of July 2012) on showing some type of brunch menu and it doesn't display their normal everyday dinner menu (not sure why). So if you are having a hard time researching in advance as to what they carry, I would tell you that the menu is similar to Joey K's, except for they also have some pizza and pasta options. I thought the prices were just a bit high, but then everything in NO seems a bit more expensive than I'm used to in Texas. Our meal both times ran about $75-$80 for 3 with the tip and this was without alcoholic drinks or desserts. Entrees run in the $13-$24 range but they do have daily specials that can bring the price down a little bit from there..

All in all, the food was really good. If the service had been as warm and friendly as Joey K's then this would likely have been our favorite restaurant of the trip. I think a lot of locals eat here and maybe they are just a bit snobby to tourists? That at least was kind of the vibe I got whether it was intentional or not. We are always very friendly in our interactions, and usually everyone is very kind when you obviously appreciate what they do. So many of the other places in NO seemed to really enjoy tourists, and many conversations were struck up about how we were enjoying ourselves and where we were from, but not here. We also don't have unreasonable expectations and make allowances for places that are crowded or where the food is more important than the service. This kind of small place though I think is really dependent upon people feeling comfortable to want to eat here again (and their prices are much more than the counter service kind of places where service doesn't matter).

Anyway, if we had felt more comfortable I would certainly have given them another star, but even so the food was so good that I still gave 4. If you are reading this and you are local, maybe you will have a better experience on the warm and friendly part :).

2  Thank shoulders3