“Grab the ox by the tail”

Boswell's Jamaican Food Store
Ranked #826 of 1,964 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Jamaican
Neighborhood: Mid-City
Neighborhood: Mid-City
new orleans
“Grab the ox by the tail”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is real down the equator style island cooking. Callaloo alone is worth a trip. But the tail rules supreme here. Slow simmered, gelatinous gooey, goodness on a bone.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank sunraygrill

Fort Lauderdale
“Good plate of food”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I am Jamaican so it is mandatory that I have access to a Jamaican restaurant when necessary. I did a search for a local restaurant and only 3 options popped up. The only one that seemed to be authentic was Boswell's Jamaican Grill.

I headed over there to get my fix. The restaurant itself was very plain and underwhelming. It looked like a cafeteria and under normal circumstances probably wouldn't be the sort of place I would decide to stop into and eat. The inside was a little better, decorated with various hints of Caribbean culture, but still not fancy.

Anyways, I didn't come for the decor but for the food. I played it safe and order the Jerk Chicken plate. It came with two sides and plantains. I choose Rice and Peas and Mac and Cheese as my two sides. The Mac and Cheese was really good but the rest was just slightly above average. The Jerk Sauce was not cooked into the chicken but given on the side in a cold refrigerated bottle, which I didn't like. Although the sauce had great flavor, how it was presented made it not so good. The chicken itself was a little dry.

The Oxtail fared much better. It had nice flavor and was falling off the bone tender. I have had so much Jamaican food in my life that in comparison, the food here was nothing special, but if you are looking for a good cooked plate of food, it is definitely a good option to consider.

The place is owned and operated by a Jamaican, so it is "authentic", but if you are not "authentic", then you will probably enjoy it a lot more than I did. Either way, they sell a few West Indian grocery items that you can't find in a regular grocery store so it is a good place to stop into for that reason alone.

• Visited March 2013
New Orleans
“Rite from the Islands”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This place makes sure you experience the tates of the caribbean. There are several things on the menu that are hard to come by in the city of New Orleans " For example Ting. My suggestion is to make you way for the all you can eat luch buffet special, where you can try jerk, curry other spices from the warm seas. Oh yeah the prices are easy on your pockets too. FYI the service is timely " BECAUSE " if your not eating the lunch buffet everything is cooked to order.

• Visited November 2011
Oklahoma
“Excellent!”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Great food! I enjoyed the dinner here. The menu offered all the national dishes: Escovitch, ackee & salt fish, curried goat and chicken, roti, fried plantains, callaloo, jerk chicken, rice and peas, and Ting beverages. Festival is available on special occasions. Boswell's even has their own homemade jerk sauce that adds a little kick to the jerk chicken! I could've finished off the whole bottle myself. Myself and 3 other adults ate with me...one of the adults had never experienced Jamaican food and now loves it just from this exposure. I visited with the owner after dinner and learned when they had moved to this location post Katrina. I also met one of the cooks. Loved this place and cant wait to return and eat there again. Our food was served in a prompt manner. We had curried goat, jerk chicken, rice and peas, callaloo, & steamed vegetables. Everyone enjoyed their dinner and was very satisfied and full. Servings and portions were plenty. I recommend this restaurant to ALL who want a good taste of Jamaican food!

• Visited December 2010
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“moved after KATRINA..Jerk chicken is INSANE good...go SPICY !!!”
Reviewed November 8, 2008

moved after KATRINA..Jerk chicken is INSANE good...go SPICY !!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook