“Tourist trap in a good location with less than average food.”
Review of Market Cafe

Market Cafe
Ranked #242 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Let me start by saying that I travel to New Orleans quite a bit and have eaten at many many places. We came here because some friends wanted to sit and watch the band playing on the patio.

After taking a look at the menu there was not much on there that had appealed to me. But when you are with a group, sometimes you have to make concessions. I ordered an appetizer and I was told they did not have it. I decided to go with the catfish po-boy. I figure you cant mess up fried fish too much. When it arrived it was dry and very over fried, but it was edible. My friends decided to get the Satchamo special....pasta with a cream sauce and oysters, shrimp, crabmeat, crawfish and a filet of redfish. It just sounded like to much going on for me. and at $35 a plate I could have been eating at a MUCH nicer restaurant. I made the mistake of venturing into the restroom. BIG MISTAKE! It was the most disgusting thing I have seen in ages. Art this time of night the place was not the busy and the staff should have been keeping an eye out and cleaning it. I am not sure this thing had been cleaned in days. If I had been in before I ordered, I would have left. I wont make the mistake of going back here again.

On a brighter note, our server was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

While visiting New Orleans we heard we had to try the muffuletta. So glad we did, it was the best sandwich ever. We split one sandwich which was plenty! The sandwich is served warm as it's baked and the olive spread is amazing. We sat outside and listened to the live jazz music and our server was very attentive. For dessert we had the Bread Pudding with Rum sauce as we heard that's local tradition too - it was soooo yummy!! Can't wait to go back for another vacation!

Reviewed March 31, 2010

two words. tourisr trap. the po boy i tasted was ok...but just so u know..its fairly impossible to mess up a po boy... the crawfish pastry..worst i ever had.. there was a roach in the cold gumbo... but since the owner decided i ate half before i noticed the dead bug..charged me full price.. when i refused to pay for it ..he called the police..and then refused my credit card..so i couldnt dispute charges... ALSO..DO NOT GET THE BOILED CRAWFISH.. most were dead before cooked.. if u are experienced in shell fish and cajun food for that matter...you will hate this place......the french market directly across the street was great..i loved it..

1  Thank moreorlesh
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We've eaten breakfast and lunch there and enjoyed it all. Everyone is very nice and always around to help with all your needs. The last few trips took us through to the bar. Let me just say that you can only drink a couple Louisiana lemonades before feeling a little giddy. The same bartender had been there both times. He's very helpful when it comes to sights to see and shops to visit. We enjoy this place very much and will not hesitate to go back.

Reviewed January 20, 2010

My wife and I just had the Market Cafe's Sunday Brunch/Buffet. We were greated outside by a lovely lady who doesn't just stand outside to get you in their door, but also seats you and takes your order. She was attentive, friendly and helpfull. The Buffett was your typical eggs, bacon, gravy, but the availability and quality of the buffett was outstanding. And for only $8.99 and a large oj for only $2 was what we thought was a bargain. The atmosphre is a bit cramped inside, but that makes up for the ambiance. I would highly recomend this place for a quick bite to eat and is right in the middle of the french market. I believe their breakfast buffett is everymorning even though we had it on Sunday. They have a sign in neon that lights up to tell you the buffett is on.