“Great intro to New Orleans food”
Review of Market Cafe

Market Cafe
Ranked #368 of 2,033 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My son and I split a sampler of red beans and rice, jambalaya, gumbo, and crawfish étouffée. All were incredible, fresh and full of flavor. The wait staff was adequate but I really like how one of the cooks came out to see how everything was and engaged us. Seating inside was a little tight and there isn't much in the way of ambience but I could definitely see eating there again. One warning, don't get the turkey po boy. My wife got it and it was painfully dry and without flavor.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

there are several places to eat and drink in the FRENCH MARKET.and so much to see as people make their way thur shopping and observing.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We really enjoyed sitting outside at the Market Cafe while enjoying our drinks and listening to the amazing jazz music. One of our favorite little places in New Orleans!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Having eaten here years ago, we decided to eat here again hoping for the same great meal. When we arrived, we were seated by our waitress. She said she would come back and we watched as she tried to wave down several other people to eat at the restaurant. After about 10 minutes, she came back and took our drink orders. Took another 10 minutes for our drinks (4 waters and a coke) to arrive. We decided to order 2 kids meals for my 3 kids to split, my wife ordered the ribeye and I ordered the Taste of New Orleans. Our waitress wouldn't write down our order (I hate when they do this because the order always gets messed up). It took another 35 minutes for our food to arrive. While waiting, I took one of my kids to the bathroom and along the way found our waitress sitting inside eating her dinner. I had to wonder if our food was ready but was sitting under a warming lamp while our waitress finished HER dinner. About 5 minutes before our dinner arrived, the waitress came back to verify that I had ordered the Taste of New Orleans. I thought to myself, "its a little late to verify that now isn't it??" Our food tasted very good (which is the only reason I didn't give this place 1 star), but my wife's potato arrived without any butter or sour cream, just a plain potato. I had to actually go looking for our waitress since she never checked on us, to request butter for my wife's potato. I had to look for our waitress a second time when we needed refills since she never checked on us. Now the fun part: When the bill arrived, I found that they had added an automatic 18% gratuity. Now where I come from, gratuity is voluntary, and is based on the level of service. I typically leave 15% or 18% if the service is really great, but they have to earn it. We felt given the terrible service, a 10% tip was warranted. So I pulled out my cellphone to figure out the proper tip as the waitress hovered waiting for me to pay. She asked me if there was a problem and I said "nope". I left the cash and got up to leave. The waitress grabs the money and comes running after me to say I didn't pay the bill. I explained that I paid for our meal and was leaving less than 18% for tip. She proceeded to tell me that parties of 5 are automatic 18% tip and that it's listed in the menu. I explained that our "party of 5" was two adults and 3 small kids, of which only 4 meals total were ordered. When I finally told her that we left less because of the bad service, she looked at me with this surprised look like noone had ever told her this before. It was left with her telling me "just so you know for next time, it's automatic 18% gratuity". Sorry to say, we won't be eating here again.

1  Thank 738EB
Reviewed June 27, 2014

In a word, terrible, and that would be a compliment to it. Avoid this place! We had a muffalatto with chips out of a bag. There was a thin piece of meat and a thin piece of cheese on the sandwich and the bread was slightly warm.

Been to Market Cafe? Share your experiences!