“Overpriced!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate at the Market Cafe for lunch on July 1st when we got into town. We were walking by and the waiter was standing outside like soliciting people in. He got us by saying we ave a kid's menu with these items on it. My husband ordered the peacemaker po'boy with fries. I had the shrimp po'boy with chips. Both were good, but it had more bread then seafood! My son had the kids grilled cheese and fries, believe me nothing fancy about it...it was $7.95! Our waiter was okay. He never asked us if we wanted anything to drink, just brought us water. Food and service were slow. We will not be returning to that place.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I shared the New Orleans Sampler for lunch. A cup each of Jambalaya, Gumbo, Rice with Beans and shrimp etoufettee. The atmosphere, the service and the food were wonderful. Relaxed dining with inside and open air seating, live music and wonderful people watching. I highly recommend this restaurant especially for a relaxed lunch or dinner.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Went down the block to this place when we discovered that Cafe du Monde had a line of people stretching down the block. I had the breakfast buffet and my wife ordered a po' boy. There was no pressure to eat quickly. The food was satisfying. We ate outdoors under a roof. This restaurant was nothing to write home about, but it was in a good location for people watching and for a casual breakfast or lunch, it was just fine.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My second visit to the joint. The music is great, the location is cool, the outside it HOT, the inside A/C is a relief. I had a bowl of red beans and rice with sausage while sitting at the inside bar. The food was great. The bartender was a hoot, all the while the back drop of the band and watching people go by. Really a taste of New Orleans.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I stopped in here for a quick lunch while touring the French Market. I actually had to look back at my credit card statement to get the name of the restaurant for this review because it was so forgettable. They did have live jazz playing on the patio and we could still hear them from inside where it was air conditioned, which are the two things that lured us in. I ordered the Oyster Po-boy and I think she just got a Cesar Salad. The service was okay, but nothing special. Once my sandwich arrived, it was fully dressed (lettuce, tomato, and mayo), but a tad light on the oysters. This turned out to be a good thing as while they were breaded well, they had no flavor. $13 for this was completely unreasonable, but I assume the location in the center of the French Market let's them skate by on one-time tourists that don't know any better. Repeat business can't be good here. The Cesar salad was okay, and the best part of the meal was the french fries. If you get hungry in NOLA, walk away from this one a few blocks for much better fare at a better price.

1  Thank Sam G