“Perfect Location and Very Good Breakfast Buffet!”
Review of Market Cafe

Market Cafe
Ranked #368 of 2,034 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Every time that we are in NOLA, we eat here. We eat here mainly because of its great location and outdoor seating right in the heart of the French Market. There is always great live jazz music; the musicians are amazingly superb! There is never a long wait, usually you are seated rather quickly. We always order the breakfast buffet because it is consistently very good; for $9.95 it's a steal. The scrambled eggs are good, but the bacon and sausage are very tasty. Our past experiences with the servers wasn't the greatest; they were rushing and didn't fill our coffee very often. On this occasion, our server was the best, quick, funny, and attentive! The fruit is always fresh; but there isn't a large variety. We've never eaten lunch here, but we plan to next time. You have to check them out while visiting the French Market and be sure to sit outside so that you can do some serious people-watching! Website: http://www.marketcafenola.com

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been traveling around America for a year now, and not in the roughest area's have I recieved worse service. I arrived in a group of 12 people, and we were treated appallingly, I assumed the terrible service we recieved was due to the large number of us, as in Louisiana when eating in a party with 6+ the tip is automatically 18%, therefore the waiter felt no need to treat us with any warmth courtesy or even any respect.

After a twenty minute wait we finally were asked for our drinks order, and it would be a further twenty minutes before we recieved our drinks and were asked for our food order. Having worked in a service job for many years I am very sympathetic to servers, however the restaurant was fairly empty, therefore my sympathy was short lived.

The food did not all come out at once, and the portions of Crawfish were miniscule, not to mention the shellfish itself were incredibly small considering it is the middle of Crawfish season. When it came to paying, when I asked for the bill to be split, after the server scouled and patronized us for a while he took our cards and returned with the slips for us to sign. He proceded to tell us; 'DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WRITING THE ADDED TIP AND TOTAL, JUST SIGN THE SLIP'. We may not be citizens of the United States but we are far from idiots.

After leaving the restaurant, annoyed, still hungry and over charged (upon inspection of our statements each of us had our cards swept twice), we declared never to return, and if possible to stop other people from making the same mistake.

2  Thank Susan C
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This ony gets average because the bar is high in New Orleans. I stopped for a half mufalatta and a drink because it was outdoors and there was a jazz band playing. The sandwhich was large and in my limited experience with this local specialty, I think it qualified as good but average. The people watching was top notch but a wind came up and blew everything off my table that wasn't weighted down.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went there our first night in NOLA. Really nice server (Hate to put it this way- young Af-American female) as I can't remember her name. Took good care of us and suggested nice stuff. Funky surroundings and really good Redfish, Crawfish Etoufee.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family of teenagers thought the Cajun food here was very good. It's in a great spot to stop for lunch while shopping and touring the French Quarter. We were seated in under 2 minutes and had our food in under 15 minutes. The waiter was harried, but efficient. He kept our drinks filled. The live jazz is very nice, though I would consider it Dixie Land music in reality. The covered but open seating area was very pleasant. We saw little kids having a ball dancing in front of the band, so it is very family friendly.