“Amazing!”

Ranked #492 of 2,033 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Recently visited Gene's while on holiday in with friends, following a tip from a fellow Brit who lives there, boy am I glad we bumped into him! The po-boy's we had there were literally one of the best things I've ever eaten in my entire life, so tasty! We had the hot sausage and roast beef options, which I can only describe as Big Macs and Sausage McMuffins on steroids! They tasted really similar to the McDs options but much, much better, and fresher. The meats were gorgeous and a perfect combination with the cheese, sauces and the really tasty, crispy Brioche-style bread. So cheap, particularly as the sandwiches are massive (about a foot long) and the price includes a huge drink. We went in about 11pm after a few hours of drinking, it did get very, very busy shortly after that so perhaps don't go too late unless you're prepared to wait. It's also located in a slightly rough area and we drew an awful lot of stares and comments in there, so just try not to look too much like a tourist, and don't upset any locals :- )

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Friends and I stayed out late, got hungry, we made the mistake of dropping in at gene's. First of all, the cashier was the rudest person ever! But I kinda understood where her irrigation stemmed, it was super busy people were complaining, cursing, and talking so loud you had to yell your order to the lady 3 feet in front of you. So I took it in stride. Ordered 2 burger poboys, and one roast beef at 3:17am. She got angry when I asked her to confirm the order but she did. Gave us our cups(free drink with poboy) and the receipt. 25 mins later I asked her about my order. She said, "THEY AINT CALLED IN ORDER!" Then abruptly acknoledged the person behind me. I WAITED. 3:57am. I politely asked again. "Ma'am this seems to be taking a little long, do u think its possible it was skipped?" She said, "NO! It's on a ticket system look at the last 2numbers" walked away while talking.
Others began asking how long I was waiting and started getting refunds. I figured I better make my drink at the free fountain drink area. Both machines available were flat.... Not one bubble! Ice everywhere, the floor and counter was drenched in soda and punch. The floor was littered with trash and spills, from what I could see the cooking area was well maintained. FINALLY at 4:14: I went to the counter with my receipt and told her it has been almost an hour. She took the receipt and confirmed and re-confirmed the elapsed time and walked away without saying anything.
Came back and said "it's gonna be 10 mins". 15 minutes later I got my order. No apologies. No thank yous. After all that, the roast beef was sloppy soggy and gross. 0/5. The burger was alright. 2.5/5. I would have rathered have gone to bed hungry

1  Thank Mschymonalisa
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Best po-boy...no, best meal I had in NOLA! Hole in wall, in perhaps a rough part of town.
We had the hot roast beef po-boy which was the best I ever remember having. I also tried my friend's hot sausage po-boy and my other friend's ham and cheese, but I think the roast beef was amazing. The very large sandwich was super cheap and even came with a free drink. Cash only. I will return on my next NOLA visit.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Can't say anything aside from it being amazing!!! We tried a bunch of po-boys in NOLA and this was the best! THey are huge but were finished in no time - they were just.....incredible!! We had the hambuger poboy and the beef . The bread is phenomenal - makes me hungry just thinking about how amazing it was. A MUST TRY!!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Two meals in one, Dont jump the line, everyone gets a Po- boy
The Hot sauce is phenomenal. Everyone has to try it atleast once.