“Another great meal with a song”

The Old Coffee Pot Restaurant
Ranked #341 of 2,023 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: The Old Coffee Pot, located on St. Peter Street located next to Pat O Brian's and right off Bourbon Street is a great location for tourists and locals alike. The restaurant founded and established in 1894, is well known for serving one of the best breakfasts in New Orleans, with famous dishes such as the Crab cake Jonathan and traditional dishes such as the callas cakes. We also serve great lunch, with a special that includes a half of po-boy, a cup of gumbo and a side of fries that has become a crowd favorite and is one of the best samplers in the neighborhood. Our evening menu features the "Triple D', a dish that was featured on Food Network's "Dinners, Drive-In's, and Dives". Alongside this dish are other reasonably priced dishes of Creole and Cajun cuisine to satisfy anyone's appetite. We also offer a variety of beverages and cocktails, traditional mixed drinks and wines to compliment any dish. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating, an aesthetically pleasing courtyard and a unique and traditional dining room with an atmosphere filled with New Orleans tradition and Southern charm. The Old Coffee Pot also offers additional services such as private parties and catered banquets in the river room or courtyard, reservations, and extensive one on one cooking classes hosted by Taste bud Tours.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our group was in town for our annual trip to Mardi Gras. Our tradition has been breakfast at the Old Coffee Pot on Endymion Saturday. As usual, all of the staff recognized us. We sat in the traditional New Orleans courtyard and had Bloody Marys and and the incredible red bean omlette. And to top it off, Shirley sang Do Right by Arethan Franklin. Don't miss the Coffee Pot.

1  Thank jjmoise
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were in town for the Super Bowl and were walking after church in the French Quarter looking for breakfast. We found this restaurant by asking a person who was hosing off a bar. What a great place. While we were waiting to get our seats, one of the ladies who was serving stood in the courtyard and gave an amazing rendition of a gospel standard. It made my trip. What a voice. And the food was great too!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I had gone to check out Preservation Hall and then Pat O'Briens during a recent New Orleans trip. Upon leaving, we stumbled across The Old Coffee Pot Restaurant (which is right next door!) and decided to try it. Seriously, it was so good I have dreams about this place.

The building is very old and full of charm and I loved it immediately. The only thing I thought was weird was that the sinks were actually outside of the restrooms and the only stall in the women's restroom had two toilets in it!

The manager on duty brought us Hurricanes that were honestly better than Pat O'Brien's. They are made using fresh fruit juices and taste much more citrusy but still pack a punch. We ordered Barbecue Shrimp and Seafood Gumbo for appetizers. Both were amazing. The stock that the gumbo is made with is rich and delicious and unbelievably flavorful. Next we had Crawfish Etoufee and the Shrimp and Redfish Creole for our meals. The Etoufee was wonderful but the Creole was to die for. The manager recommended it to my husband saying it was his favorite and he was certainly right, it was delicious.

The service at the restaurant was pretty slow but the manager was awesome and made sure we were taken care of. He explained that only one of his cooks had shown up to work that night (which we could plainly see because our table faced right into the kitchen) and that his only cook was doing the jobs of two people. The manager came by several times to offer us more drinks, free appetizers, and to chat with us (people in the South are so friendly). So needless to say, the slow service did not bother us in the least.

We had absolutely no room for dessert so we did not have any. The bill came and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the food was reasonably priced for such deliciousness and for such an awesome location.

When we left I asked the manager for his name and told him I would write a good review about the restaurant. In my drunken stupor, I forgot his name in about 30 seconds. He was a short, thin Caucasian gentleman with a heavy Cajun accent. So if anyone reading this knows who I'm talking about, please know that he was great.

Would I come back here? In a heatbeat. I don't know how anyone could ever have anything negative to say about The Old Coffee Pot Restaurant.

1  Thank michelle_p630
Reviewed February 5, 2013

After complaining to the desk clerk about how expensive many of the restuarants were in NO and how little food you got for your money - he recommended the Old Coffee Pot. We're glad we took the recommendation. It's an old New Orleans restaurant with the atmosphere to go along with it - high ceilings, old fireplace with mirror and plenty of beautiful woodwork. And of course the food was excellent - breakfast and dinner. There is a full selection of New Orleans cajun fair - this restaurant is a must on your visit.

1  Thank Dav695
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I had breakfast here based on our concierges recommendation as well as the fact that it had been on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives. We were blown away by how good the food was, and the service was just an added bonus. We had a fantastic old waitress who probably had worked there forever and kept calling my husband "baby" in a southern drawl. And she convinced us to try grits for the first time in our lives. Grits are actually really good, and we really wanted to try local food. I had the Eggs Creole and my hubby had an omelet. We both were raving about our meals all day. And big portions too. You won't be disappointed if you are lucky enough to go here for breakfast. There is inside eating as well as a nice little outside courtyard. Very relaxing after making our way down Bourbon Street.