“Uninspired food, awful service”
Review of Ralph & Kacoo's - CLOSED

Ralph & Kacoo's
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Decatur
Transit: 2 blocks from Jax Brewery is the stopoff for the Streetcar.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went to Ralph and Kakoo's on a Saturday night. The dueling pianos were a big disappointment. No requests and neither pianist could sing at all. Our waiter, Raymond, did all he could to make this a memorable evening, although not in a good way. We first sat down and Raymond came over and took our appetizer order, he then took a moment to tell us that the piano players were terrible. Not something you expect to hear from your waiter, but that was pretty much stating the obvious anyway. About 10 minutes later, Raymond came back and asked if we wanted to order an appetizer. We reminded Raymond that we had already ordered one about 10 minutes ago. Instead of saying he forgot, he said he would check on it with the kitchen. He then took our dinner orders. About 15 minutes later, Raymond came back and literally threw a bowl of rolls on our table and then each of his other two tables, as he walked by without slowing down. Soon after than our dinners came, followed immediately after by our appetizer. No worries, we were on vacation. The meal was decent, but certainly nothing special. Think TGI Fridays. Raymond then asked if we wanted dessert, and we said sure. He said he would be right back with the dessert tray. About 10 minutes later, Raymond came back and dropped the bill on the table. When we asked what happened to the dessert tray, he said he had a lot on his mind and had 3 tables of people who all sat down at once. Not his fault at all. I said that he forgot our appetizer and also our desserts. In my opinion he was was batting 333 which is great in baseball, but pretty terrible for a waiter. Raymond grabbed by credit card and bill and walked away without a word. He came back with the final check and dropped it on the table and walked away. When we opened the folio holding the bill, we immediately noticed that he had taken the comment card out that was there just a few minutes ago, no doubt to insure that we couldn't fill it out. We paid and went to the front to get a new comment card and spoke with the general manager, just to let him know that Raymond was probably the worst waiter we have ever had any any restaurant. My wife was standing off to the side and actually heard Raymond say to that table that I was just trying to complain so I could get a free meal.
At that point it became our goal to make sure that as many people as possible heard about this experience so they could avoid this place, and most importantly this waiter, like the plague. If you do decide to try your luck here, and you get a waiter named Raymond, my advice is for you to cut your losses and go to another restaurant, any restaurant, because there is no way you will have an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great food, great atmosphere. This was my second visit to this restaurant. It was as good as I had remembered.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Let me start by saying I have dined at this establsihment for many years and the food used to be wonderful. However on this most recent visit, I was very disappointed. The appetizer combo was not flavorful and very bland. The fried green tomatoes were awful...no flavor and not homemade ....the entree was shrimp brochette which was so lacking in presentation and flavor. I am sorry to say that would not go back again. There are too many other restaurants that serve far superior food than this.

1  Thank phxaztraveler
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Without a doubt, one of the very best restaurants I have ever been too. Their oysters were the best I've ever had. Fresh and sweet, man they were so good. Ordered their special which was a pile of blackened catfish fillets covered with an amazing sauce that included shrimp and crawfish and crab. The blackened catfish was cut thin which gave the two flavors a perfect balance. My goodness it was the very best fish entrée I have ever eaten in my life, no kidding.

On top of that the service we received from Liz, our server, made our dining experience perfect.

When I return to The Big Easy this will be the first place I go too.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went over to Ralph and Kacoo's for a Friday night dinner as I was looking for a place to try gator. I had half and half fried/blackened gator with a wedge salad and side of cajun rice. Everything was really good but I think I'd get the gator all blackened and do without the fried the next time.

My girlfriend had the lobster and while it was pretty good, it wasn't $59 good. Some confusion about the market price they told us over the phone so it turned out $20 more expensive than we were expecting. A tiny bit disappointed that there was nothing they could do due to their misinformation but our server was really nice and helpful nonetheless.

Great chocolate desert afterwards filled us up pretty well and then we headed home to pass out!

I'm not sure I'd go back but there wasn't anything particular bad about it. Just a bit of an older crowd (perspective: we're 27 and 29) and the food wasn't a 10/10. For our most expensive meal in New Orleans I expected a bit more.