“Awesome Poboys, but check out the bar”

Parkway Bakery & Tavern
Ranked #21 of 1,933 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Parkway Bakery & Tavern is a New Orleans restaurant and family dining tradition located at the corner of Hagan and Toulouse overlooking Bayou St. John in Louisiana.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Awesome Poboys, but check out the bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

There's always a line out the door because the sandwiches are that good. The bar is faster - you can order drinks and food and the service is friendly.

• Visited May 2014

Houston, Texas
“Jazz fest 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We were leaving the festival and stumbled into this place! The fried sweet potato po boy was amazing with gravy. Next I will order a large with extra gravy. Mmmm

Breckenridge, Colorado
“Very good Po Boys and great fries!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is a laid back place with very good Po Boy sandwiches and great fries. A little ways from downtown but you can take the trolley up canal from downtown easily. Big outdoor seating area and a tavern for drinks.

Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Good, not the best po boy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

After moving from the New Orleans area several years ago, I have become more nostalgic regarding the culture, cuisine, etc. I am perpetually reading about and watching shows on the city, including those on the Food Channel. So, from what I have learned since, rather than perpetually returning to my favorite places, I am also trying other restaurants in the area. As I have noted in my other reviews, I am a big fan of Domilises po-boys. I have, however, become more open minded and in the recent few years and have made a concerted effort to go to other places that I have heard through word of mouth an media that make "the best po-boy." Parkway is one place about which I have heard for years, and finally I ate my first Parkway po-boy. It was good, but definitely not the best.
Parkway Tavern and Bakery does have a very nice ambience-- neighborhood style but cleaner than many of the others and a very large covered outdoor dining area. The service was great as well: it was the first time in an establishment of this kind that the bartender brought me my food. I ordered the roast beef po-boy and my partner the shrimp and an order of sweet potato fries and gravy. All of the aforementioned needed extra seasoning: salt on all and hot sauce on the shrimp as they were quite bland. The beef was tender and juicy, but needed salt and something else, though I don't know what and the same was for the gravy. I expected more from what I had heard, and was essentially underwhelmed by the food. Parkway does have a good sandwich, but not great po-boy.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Attention to Detail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I had 7 friends in town and we decided to have a picnic in the park and it was up to me to pick a place to order the food. Because of previous visits I selected Parkway. I called about two weeks in advance to find out what the process was for such a large order. I got the details and left it at that. I week later they called to confirm the order, date, time, individual selections, etc.. I was surprised first that they called me back to confirm for I had not yet placed an order. They emailed menus for my friends to make their selections 3 days in advance. When I arrived everything was ready and each bag was labeled with what each person ordered and their names. The entire order was correct and everyone got a joke of of the fact that each each lunch was bagged and had each person's name on it. Everyone took the name tag off the bag and wore it the rest of the day! I was impressed with the level of personal service and accuracy with respect to the order. The quality of the food I took for granted and was not disappointed but the service and attention to detail made me look good as a host.