“Best SHRIMP PO BOY EVER”

Parkway Bakery & Tavern
Ranked #15 of 1,992 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Parkway Bakery & Tavern is a New Orleans restaurant and family dining tradition located at the corner of Hagan and Toulouse overlooking Bayou St. John in Louisiana.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Had lunch today with local NOLA friends who recommended this off-the-beaten-path, non-touristy restaurant. By far, the absolute best po boy (shrimp) I have ever had (and I have had my share). If you are a non-seafood eater, no problem - they have a roast beef po boy that our friends raved over. Fabulous sweet potato fries. Excellent family style seating made for a lovely Sunday lunch - go before 1PM to avoid the "church" crowd (which is pretty much all of NOLA!). Lots of character and flavor - in more ways than one!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Recommended from a friend at work - I ordered the Shrimp Poor Boy. It was delicious. Having fried shrimp that is neither heavy nor greasy is impressive enough - but having it that delicious is something else.

This was the best thing I ate during our trip to New Orleans.

I also ordered a side of Potato Salad. Be Warned - Don't Order a Side - the Sandwiches are STUFFED. Unless you're a competitive eater, a side is not needed. I enjoyed two bites of mine before throwing it away. It's also a little expensive - so don't waste your money on more than you need.

In fact, upon unwrapping my Sandwich, Shrimp appeared to be attempting to escape. Whether this is testament to the freshness of the shrimp, the generosity of the establishment, or the inability to size up exactly how much shrimp could fit into a sandwich, I cannot be sure, but either way, I was more than happy.

My wife ordered a Catfish sandwich. I don't like catfish so I didn't try it - but she assures me it was excellent.

If you're anywhere near City Park - go here!!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Never have gotten a bad PoBoy here. Although the line can be daunting at times, it moves quickly. I like their roast beef, however, you can't go bad with my second favorite, shrimp. Only thing that would make it better for me would be a broader selection of fountain drinks...but that is not very much to complain about. Hardly a trip to New Orleans goes by (and we make 8-10 trips a year) without us having at least one trip to Parkway.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We heard about this place on tv and made it a stop during our recent trip to NOLA.
It was crowded and noisy, but the food looked great so I was ready.
He got the roast beef and I got chicken..both were absolutely yummy and extremely filling...so big I couldn't finish it!. I definitely recommend making this stop ...we actually took the streetcar and walked a few blocks...so it was a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We came around 3:00 pm on a Saturday. We sat in the bar; the sign on the wall said full service at the bar. We waited for 10 minutes and no one came to check on us, so I went to the window to order. We got fried shrimp po'boys (regular size and dressed). There was plenty of shrimp and they were hot and crispy. I added tartar sauce, but it tasted more like remoulade. Either way, it was very yummy. Sandwich, chips, and drink x 2 for about $20. Very yummy and would go back again!