“Great Oyster Bar”
Review of Bourbon House

Bourbon House
Reserve with OpenTable
Bourbon House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 2,044 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Iberville Street
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Enjoyed a quick lunch with some local business associates at the Oyster Bar. The freshest possible oysters from "Area 13" were spectacular. Great conversation with the Oyster Men as they shucked oysters and shared stories of NOLA.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,879)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Shrimp tasted like soap and were chewy. Shrimp Creole was a can of tomato purée and three bay shrimp, completely flavorless. All for $70. Such a disappointing birthday dinner.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

After outstanding experiences at Dickie Brennan's newest restaurant Tableau and their excellent and well established Steakhouse, we had high expectations of the seafood specialty venue. I can only hope it was a wildly "off" night.

The fiasco began with the bartender studiously ignoring us for fifteen minutes when we opted to start with cocktails while waiting to be seated. The table staff dutifully followed the usual"Brennan" model, but with notably less enthusiasm. Having experienced a catfish epiphany at the Old Coffee Pot restaurant days earlier, I was determined to repeat a mind-blowing fried seafood trio. . .

However, what followed was a tragedy. Overcooked shrimp, mediocre oysters and chewy catfish all had a distinct "fishy"flavor I associate with precooked frozen shrimp that have been around too long. Limp fries were either unseasoned or painfully over salted depending which side of the plate you ate from. With every bite my disillusionment grew until I recall my husband and I looking at the offending dishes in total confusion. I must say it was fascinating how the table staff were careful not to ask any questions about our satisfaction with the uneaten food.

Uncharacteristically, we were content to quietly pay our bill and escape before the experience could get any worse. Back at Tableau the next day for an outstanding brunch and the steakhouse for drool-worthy carnivore fare a day later, we are convinced it must be some cosmic hiccup.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The food was very good and my wife liked her meal the best of any of the places we ate at. We couldn't get a reservation but did get in on a very busy night within 20 minutes.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was in New Orleans a few months ago for the Sugar Bowl and frequent NOLA a lot. We were originally going to ACME Oysters House (a true favorite of mine) but the line was pretty ridiculous so we ended up down the street at Bourbon House.

To start, all of the food was decently good, but not necessary worth the price. The Oysters were fresh and served with horseradish so you had completely control over the temperature and sauce. With that said, it was good but not memorable. The way the wait staff works is a little interesting to say the least. You have your drink server and your actual waiter/waitress. Our drink server was fine and very attentive, our actual waiter kind of disappeared at times. The atmosphere is very nice, good for a large group.

Overall this place has potential but the price is too much for the food they present and the service. Not a bad place by any means, but when you are like me and are used to places like GW Fins, Commander's Palace and Galatoires it pales in comparison. With some minor changes though they could improve dramatically.