“For tourists”
Review of Acme Oyster House

Acme Oyster House
Ranked #79 of 1,947 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Tucker, Georgia
“For tourists”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This is a very good place to throw down some raw oysters in a place where they are shucking thrm while you watch. The rest of the menu was average so if you want raw oysters, stop in. If you want something else, go someplace else. Service was average as usual in a tourist stop. Meh

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
richmond hill
“Over-rated, went there done that...”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went to this restaurant (French Quarter Iberville St) with a couple of colleagues in early March after reading all the good reviews on TA. We waited outside for about 15 mins to get a table for three. I guess after reading good reviews on TA my expectation was too high. The restaurant is rustic, crowded and loud. Seating was cramped. I found service by the wait staff to be slow and just average. I ordered "10 Napkin Roast Beef" p-boy and fresh oysters. The p-boy was good, messy but good. I have been to oyster establishments where there are 25 different oysters (from West Coast, East Coast, Japan, South America etc.) to select from and comes with 10 different types of sauces, ACME did not have such a thing. I was disappointed that there were no selections, what they have is what you get. How can an establishment be called an "Oyster House" without selections? Worse, when I asked the waitress the type of oyster I was being served she had no idea. She did not even know there were different types of oysters. Compared to oyster houses that I am familiar with, Big Daddy's and Rodney's Oyster House in Toronto, Canada, ACME does not even come close.
The food overall was average - confirmed by my colleagues as well. If it wasn't for the p-boy my rating would have been 1 or 2. Not worth making a special trip.

• Visited March 2013
Ft Wayne
“WOW”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My first trip to New Orleans and I wanted to make sure I had soft shell crab while there. We asked around and Acme was suggested. The bike cab driver told us that the wait may be long, but we went anyway. We put in our names to take the first available seating. We were lucky enough to get the bar. The atmosphere was fantastic! The food was incredible. The soft shell crabs we're huge and tasty. This was a great experience. When we left, the line was a block long...we went at a good time!

Visited March 2013
Parker, Colorado
“Eat it Raw!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

What can you say...these guys know oysters and deliver in a big easy way!!!L I had two dozen raw at the bar and they melted in my mouth. Acme may seem too hyped and crowded right off Bourbon Street, but it is a must do!!! One of the very few places in my travels where he hype is deserved.

Let the good times roll.

• Visited November 2012
Whitehorse, Canada
“Yummmmmmmmmmm”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Oysters!!!! Raw were great - Char grilled were fantastic - great service, great value. the lineup at the door says it all - well worth the wait...

• Visited March 2013