“Great experience”
Review of The Pelican Club

The Pelican Club
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pelican Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Exchange Place
Description: The Pelican Club, offering a wide range of fabulous New Orleans dishes, consists of three dining rooms and a large bar fashioned from a handsome, 19th-century French Quarter townhouse, rising from the corner of Bienville Street and Exchange Place in the heart of the French Quarter. Owner, Richard Hughes, and his wife, Jean Stinnett-Hughes, transformed a neglected architectural gem into a welcoming restaurant decorated in a crisp blend of traditional and contemporary. Each room has its own ambiance, created with such diverse elements as burnished Louisiana cypress, contemporary paintings by New Orleans artists, antique prints, and the dramatic contrast of black-leather banquettes against cream-colored brick walls. Such an atmosphere is sure to make your meal feel like a truly New Orleans experience.
Reviewed September 10, 2006

I had our tastiest meal here during this last trip to NOLA (9/07/06). We ordered the live Maine lobster special, the soup (mussels, lump crab in a saffron broth), the barbecue shrimp pot (not your usual barbecue shrimp dish), seafood martini, and the seafood paella. Everything tasted so interesting and flavorful. We LOVED our meal.

3  Thank travelinSan

Reviewed June 5, 2006

My wife & I dined at The Pelican Club on 6/3 and I have to say the food was pretty good. The portions are small but the quality was high. However any enjoyment of the food was ruined by the poor and rude service received. Our waiter "Jorge" seemed to not want to be bothered by us. We waiting 11 minutes for an iced tea refill after asking. He seemed to not want to be there and didn't smile once. When he dropped off the check he didn't say anything, just dropping the bill with a thud and walking away before we had a chance to say thank you.

Unprofessional, rude and uncaring. You would get better service at an Olive Garden than here. And that's a sad statement. Stay away.

4  Thank Beach L
Reviewed May 20, 2006

Wonderful Restaurant. I had seen it revieewed in books, and listed on the NOLA hotel cable tourist channel, but never tried it. I missed out on a great place for years. FOr a moderate price (about $30) I had the best meal I have had in 12 trips to the French Quarter. Better quality food, preparation, and service compared to many of the big name standards that seem to be exisiting on their name, only. If I had started there erlier in the week, I would have gone back a second time. It will certainly be a standard for me on future trips!

I only wish I had gotten the waitress's name so I could commend her to her manager.

1  Thank JimL
Reviewed August 9, 2005

Let me say right up front that this used to be our favorite fine dining restaurant in New Orleans up until about a year ago. At this time, I had a very, very old piece of fish with ammonia reeking out of it. I sent it back and got a steak instead. No apology, no recompense, no nothing. In fact the waiter was rather rude to me for the rest of the evening, apparently because I complained. I chalked it up to everyone having a bad day all around. We recently ate there again along with eight other couples from our investment club on my recommendation. Several people ordered the lobster bisque - just as bad and fishy as the fish I had earlier and everyone that had it commented on how bad it was. Everyone left the restaurant feeling less than impressed in everything that they ate. I was embarassed that I had recommended this restaurant.

Needless to say, we have scratched the Pelican Club off of our list of fine dining restaurants in New Orleans.

2  Thank pterostyrax
Reviewed June 3, 2005

The only really bad dining experience last weekend was the Pelican Club. My husband's food was ok, but mine was simply awful. The first thing that made me mad to start with was that I found out that we weren't told about all the specials of the day, we had been told of only one, and I would certainly have ordered the soft shelled crab one if I had known. I was listening to the waitress tell the next table the specials and when she walked away, I asked her why we hadn't been told about the specials and all she said was oops, sorry. Since our order had only just been turned in I don't know why she couldn't have changed it. I had ordered their Vegetable Napoleon, expecting a wonderful NO treatment of a vegetarian dish. NO food doesn't always have to have crawfish, shrimp, catfish, and so on in it, does it? It was awful, awful, awful. It was burnt, not grilled, burnt. It was suppose to be grilled, but it was burnt. It was kind of thrown on the plate and I didn't know if the sauce was for Vegetable Napoleon or the asparagus on the side. Another reason why I don't know why I couldn't have changed my order is that even if they have to throw something away it would have only have been a slice of eggplant, some onions, squash, and tomatoes, and half a Portebello mushroom, not a steak or lobster or something. Would that have been too much to ask to keep a customer happy. When I complained about the burnt food the waitress brought us our bill right away in order to get us out of there. I know, I know, we shouldn't have paid, but by then we just wanted to get out of there. I tried to find a manager but couldn't and the wait staff had already proved to be very uncaring. Not that I was looking for a freebie, but usually when a customer has had a problem with a meal, I've heard that the management has offered a dessert or after dinner drink on the house. With them it was just hurry up and pay and go.

4  Thank clagodna