“Not the place for a quiet romantic dinner”
Review of The Pelican Club

The Pelican Club
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pelican Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Exchange Place
Description: The Pelican Club, offering a wide range of fabulous New Orleans dishes, consists of three dining rooms and a large bar fashioned from a handsome, 19th-century French Quarter townhouse, rising from the corner of Bienville Street and Exchange Place in the heart of the French Quarter. Owner, Richard Hughes, and his wife, Jean Stinnett-Hughes, transformed a neglected architectural gem into a welcoming restaurant decorated in a crisp blend of traditional and contemporary. Each room has its own ambiance, created with such diverse elements as burnished Louisiana cypress, contemporary paintings by New Orleans artists, antique prints, and the dramatic contrast of black-leather banquettes against cream-colored brick walls. Such an atmosphere is sure to make your meal feel like a truly New Orleans experience.
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have been here twice. The first time we sat in the bar area & we enjoyed the food & the piano player. It was very noisy & there was a backlog of people hovering near the restaurant entrance which caused problems for the waiters & I didn't enjoy being watched by strangers whilst I was eating.
On our second visit I became one of those starers as we had to wait for our table...sorry folks. Anyway, finally seated in the main restaurant area the first thing we (a group of 6) noticed was the noise level. It was terrible & we could barely hold a conversation. The waiter was helpful & the food was good, no complaints there. As the evening wore on the diners left & the noise level dropped.
We enjoyed The Pelican but would not recommend it for quiet intimate meal.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is one of my favorites in the city and always impressive with food quality and service. Terrific atmosphere and handsome dining room. Dressy but not stuffy, it has the aura of a classic restaurant that knows what it is doing. Terrific wine list as well. Again, one of the absolute best in New Orleans.

3  Thank lilbanjo
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I eaten twice here and found the food uniformly excellent , specializes in southern and new orleans food and all were good

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Loved the Pelican Club! Our waiter was excellent - he looked like Anthony Bourdain. My husband had the quail appetizer and loved it. He had the lamb chops which were huge and he said they were the best he had ever had. I had the crab cakes with green tomatoes - all just melted in your mouth. I had the lobster with the shrimp and scallops... best ever. I had the bread pudding and husband had the chocolate cake. Both were excellent. The people we sat by were very nice to talk to.... New Orleans natives and a sweet couple from England. There was a very obnoxious and loud table of men in the middle of the restaurant that was just rude but even that didn't dampen our love of the place, though I felt sorry for the people close to them (especially the nice Louisville couple right beside them that I met later on at the airport). On a side note, this wonderful place had truly the ugliest restroom I could imagine... might need to upgrade that if they can but even that really didn't detract from a wonderful experience here.

1  Thank Indyjaybird
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had the best meal of our week in NOLA. Service was outstanding. The prices was reasonable and the food was marvellous. The best dish ever was the crispy whole flounder served with shrimps and a big scallop with great sides of asparagas and green beans. This is a 10 on my list of good things to eat. The wine list is reasonable with worldwide choices. The serrvice level was excellent and the surroundings very comfortable. Overall, the best dining experience of this trip

1  Thank dmpeee