“New ownership (Dec '13) have done a great remodel and revamp of Uptown classic.”
Review of Frankie & Johnny's

Frankie & Johnny's
Ranked #227 of 1,976 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I've been going to Frankie & Johnny's since I was a kid and have many fond memories. Over the years, the place was more and more rundown and the food became inedible.

I don't live in town so I was very excited to see an article in Gambit that talked about the new owners and the renovations done to reopen the Uptown classic.

A friend and I went mid-December to check it out. We were very warmly greeted by the owner at the host station and seated in the back room. What an improvement to the place visually. They have kept a lot of the same atmosphere of the old owners but have given it a much needed face lift. There is even a room with video games to keep kids occupied.

The owner challenged us to have the raw oysters. He said if they weren't the best we've had then he would give them to us on the house. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. At the beginning of the meal she brought us water in little plastic cups which we were going to comment on. Without us even noticing she replaced them with glasses of water and apologized saying that all of the glassware was dirty but that she didn't want to keep us waiting.

I had a pasta dish. For some reason I cannot remember exactly what I had but I think it was chicken parm. I cannot remember exactly what my friend ordered but he liked his food.

The food isn't amazing but it is pretty good and a definitely improvement over what we ended up with before the last owners closed the doors.

It is good to see this place back up and running with new owners who obviously care for the place. I think they might a few months to find their groove and establish themselves with some unique dishes other than just typical fired seafood and New Orleans "Italian" but if they do then this classic should remain an Uptown staple for another generation.

There are newer reviews for Frankie & Johnny's

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Frankie and Johnny's recently reopened after being closed for several months. There was worry that they were never going to reopen again.

Well they are back and better than ever. All the favorites are still on the menu. Same menu.

Pepper Rings

Go pay them a visit!

It's great to have this New Orleans institution back open

1  Thank localyokel1976
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Wednesday December 4, 2013. I am visiting from Minneapolis, MN. First time visit to Frankie’s and Johnny’s in New Orleans, LA. One word. Fabulous. Order the ½ chicken and shared a red beans and rice plate with another. We also ordered the Onion Rings and the Green Pepper Rings. All the foods is prepared on site. Their primary food is seafood. One of my companions loved their boiled shrimp.

Onion Rings. They use their own batter mixture. They are by far, the best onion rings I have tasted in any restaurant I have visited in the United States. One of my companions say they are out of this world.

Green Peppers. Have never seen deep fried green peppers before. I really liked them.

Side Salad. Ordered it with their own cajon salad dressing. Very good.
Red Beans and Rice. OM Heavens. I grew up on Red Beans and Rice with my New Orleans born mother. Every time I go to out to eat I will order a side of red beans and rice. I have yet to eat anything that tasted great, let alone good. I finally found it at Frankie’s and Johnny’s. Fabulous. I looked at mom and told her you have finally have competition.

Fried Chicken. I ordered the fried chicken. Not burnt and over cooked, not under cooked with red meat. The batter is made on site. Overall the fried chicken may be the best I have eaten anywhere.

I highly recommend this Frankie’s and Johnny’s.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

a neighborhood restaurant/bar that remains very consistent - seafood continues to be quite good - liked: fried seafood & easy parking

Reviewed January 31, 2013

On the recommendation of someone who has been several times we gave this one a try. Reminded me of the kind of place your grandpa would would stop for a quick beer. Food was average, nothing great, but not awful either. My beefburger steak was tepid, as were my potatoes, but my husband liked the gumbo and our friend was ok with the fried chicken. Waitress was delightful; attentive and friendly. I think it's the atmosphere that's so off-putting. Feels like it's not sure if it's a bar or a restaurant, but isn't pulling either one off in spectacular style.

Not necessarily one to skip, but not one I'd return to. If you like a bar atmosphere at dinnertime, you'll find it here.