“A Definite Favorite”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Made a reservation for Thursday evening, but it wasn't necessary for the time we got there, around 5:30. Beautiful building and nice interior. Tables had linen and baskets of crackers waiting. I ordered a Rum Ramsey, a bar original which was quite tasty and I would recommend. My husband and I partook of the Catfish bites, the Crawfish Jambalaya, and the Shrimp, Crab and Eggplant Ettouffee. All food was excellent. The Bread Pudding was obscene. It ruined me for all others. Our waiter was wonderful as well - wish I could remember his name! I would definitely recommend this place.

1  Thank Kim C

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Other people in my party liked this restaurant. Appetizers were good crawfish bisque was less than appetizing. Has ruined my taste for Cajun food.

1  Thank PanCake666
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was told, before I left for New Orleans, that this restaurant was the place where the locals eat. It isn't famous, I've never seen it on television, hell its only open Monday through Friday (WHAT RESTAURANT DOES THAT???). This is, without doubt, the greatest non-famous restaurant in New Orleans. The food is traditional local fare, in a beautiful setting with a wonderful service staff. The Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce is possibly the greatest thing you will ever ear.

1  Thank Greg C
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Having lived in New Orleans for 6 years, and tried all the famous restaurants that skate on their name, the Bon Ton Cafe excels in every aspect - ambience, service, but most of all the food. Only way they could improve on the food is to remove the calories! Pan-broiled shrimp, crawfish and shrimp etouffe, broiled fish - and the desserts, OMG, the desserts. Pralines and cream ice cream, bread pudding. I'm making myself hungry!!!! Oh yes, not open on Saturdays or Sundays, so you have to arrange your schedule to visit during the week. I love every aspect about the Bon Ton Cafe. It is a MUST if you visit New Orleans.

1  Thank kAREN d
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had not been to the bon ton for about 10 years. When I looked online it said no reservations. We arrived a little early and the people had reservations. We were seated right away so it wasn't a problem we asked the hostess and she said they did take reservations but you have to go to their website. We had one of the rum special drinks and it was good but nothing to write home about. I had the turtle soup and it was excellent. I had the blackened redfish as a main and it was wonderful. Finished the evening off with their bread pudding which was excellent. Hope to go again soon.

1  Thank ldgaff