“Good NOLA cooking.”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Louis Street- Conti Street
Description: In July 1979, K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen(R) opened its doors in New Orleans. In only a few years, Chef Paul Prudhomme's Cajun and Creole French Quarter restaurant attracted world travelers and continues to excite diners today.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We ate here in February 2014. The evening started slowly with a less than attentive waiter [he warmed up through the evening]. I almost spoiled my dinner by eating too much bread. Both the cornbread and the jalapeno bread were excellent. Around the table we ate the turtle soup, the gumbo and friend green tomatoes to start. All excellent. The mains included the blackened pork chop and blackened drum. Again, both highly recommended. No one was able to tackle dessert.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,227)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

When I lived in NOLA in the 80's, the food was spectacular, they didn't take reservations and the lines were around the block. Now, the lines are gone (reservations yes!), and the food is just as good, if not better. The only other change is that the famous blackened redfish has been replaced by drum fish (Redfish aren't legal to commercially fish anymore). Everything on the menu is absolutely delicious. Seriously. No trip to Nawlins' is complete without a visit to Kpauls.

If you found my review helpful, please give it a vote. I like those emails from TripAdvisor ;).

Reviewed February 26, 2014

There is only one other restaurant I have reviewed that has gotten as good a review as I wish to give K-Paul's. Sadly, though that meal was absolutely amazing, they slighted themselves (and me) on the coffee, using a fair blend and flavored instilled creamer. Not K-Paul's.
For those who are short on history or memory or years, Chef Paul Prudhomme was the first of the New Orleans chefs to break out upon the international stage and bring the best of world cuisine into this port city (most major ports have to seriously upgrade their cuisine at some point to stay compatico with international class taste buds). I'm not sure why he is not still in the forefront as my supper there tells me he is easily competitive.
It was only a fluke that I noticed the billboard advertising his restaurant and had my memory trigger tickled into googling him and making certain he was still involved here. I made the reservations on the bus immediately and it sounded as though I got lucky there as large blocks of time were unavailable.
Last time I went high classing it, I rued the moment that I chose between two dishes rather than "Last Holiday - ing" it and ordering everything on the menu. Chef Paul and company write a new menu every day based on availability and freshness, so you have to carpe epicurus or wish you'd tried the other too.
This night, I didn't have to. I got the surf and turf with blackened drum made in paradise and transported expertly to my earthly platter and beef medallion. My tablemates had chicken and the stuffed pork chop, so we all agreed to share right from the beginning.
I had to teach my son to "say parfait!" Like most kids, it took several tries until he understood that "C'est" is part of the phrase and not a command for him to speak. He loved the beef medallion, the chicken, the potatoes, green beans (haricots verts) and the pork chop. I preferred the blackened drum, but the beef and pork were absolute perfection as well. The twice baked potato was amazing and the sauces were true artistry at its best.
I had a very stable pinot noir with my excellent salad before the meal and a stunning bold cafe au lait afterwards with the best bread pudding I have ever eaten (sorry grandma) and she had the chocolate cake she is still raving over.

Top to bottom, front to back, beginning to end (did I mention the carrot cake muffins at the start? From their own bakery? Like OMG!?), this meal was planned and executed to utter perfection and the mastery of art and beauty that it represented is a monument on its own. I'm impressed beyond any but a very few restaurants (most of this list are outside of the US).

A couple extra words: The wait staff were exceptional. We really enjoyed them and their presence and yet they were very careful to maintain our privacy during mealtime and be available immediate to our needs. Her suggestions were absolutely exceptional and she was incredibly knowledgeable about tastes and the menu itself. She described the reduction sauce and this restaurant's specific methods as exuberantly as a chef would have.

If you read my reviews, you'll know that I gauge value as well as quality. K-Paul's is exceptional quality (peak performance) and the value is even moreso. I have paid more for a regular steak and limpid salad at an upscale steakhouse and left with bitter tastes all around. Given the choice, I'll never get back on the chain gang. Next time I'll take dessert to go, however, as waddling around the French Quarter with my taste buds stranded in the ethosphere is just really tough on me.

Recommended only for my besties and family. Everybody else might like the wallet reduction sauce at one of the usual places that cater to bland average wannabe palates. As much as I want Chef Paul to get the accolades he deserves (and he has the trophies, you know), I want to be able to get a reservation anytime I'm in town.

New Orleans, for us, now means Cafe Du Monde in the morning and K-Paul's at night, with fun and frolic in between. We will go again! As many times as we can!

4  Thank nabenom
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Yum Yum gumbo, good shrimp étouffée, good blackened drum, awesome sweet potato pecan pie, awesome waitress (Patricia) xoxoxooo

Reviewed February 25, 2014

this restaurant was just great. the food was excellent. the upstairs room was very well appointed and away from the door traffic into the restaurant. service was super as well.