“Disappointing”

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 1,954 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Louis Street- Conti Street
Description: In July 1979, K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen(R) opened its doors in New Orleans. In only a few years, Chef Paul Prudhomme's Cajun and Creole French Quarter restaurant attracted world travelers and continues to excite diners today.
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

A dinner at K-Paul's last Friday evening was a disappointment. The restaurant is a New Orleans landmark and many tourists plan a dinner there. When we sat down, a basket of bread/rolls was brought and the two small muffins, one corn bread with jalpenos, the other a dark sweet bread were tasty and quite good. The three white dinner rolls were soft, tasteless nondescript bread. For appetizers we had the gumbo which was on the bland side and a house salad which was made from wilted and definitely not fresh greens. The green onion dressing was nice, however. For our main courses we had two of the signature dishes (blackened drum, and andouille and shrimp creole) and both were only fair. The drum was very thin and overcooked; it was overwhelmed by the other things on the plate. The creole was certainly spicy but there was much more sausage than shrimp and the shrimp didn't hold its own in the abundant spicy red sauce. We shared a bead pudding for dessert which was good.

• Visited April 2013

• Hebrew first
Telluride, Colorado
“Great New Orleans lunchtime spot”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

There food was exactly what my wife and I were looking for walking around the French Quarter on our last visit. Soul food and southern cooking. Friendly staff. During daytime, order at the bar and sit wherever you can find a spot. We will definitely go back on our next visit.

• Visited November 2012
USA
“Not What She Used To Be”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I cant express how much I regret saying this but the food now is production food and sloppy at that. I used to go every time I was in the Big Easy, often more than once per trip. I loved it but the last two times I have been there it has been over done and/or poorly executed in general I can say that its been slipping for a few years. Presentation was never much but now it looks like a lunch lady is slinging it with a spoon. I would typically order an appetizer and the Backend Redfish and often I'll order a second entrée to taste there and take with me. I go to NOLA 5 or 6 times a year on business and I would take the leftovers back to my room for munchies. In all, I have been going to K-Paul's, when I could, for about 20 years.

Back in the day, when I was sixteen I got a gig as a line cook at a upscale seasonal place that had hired, as executive chef, a former protégé of Chef Paul and the new menu was mostly Chef Paul'esq creations. I instantly fell in love with the food and became inspired I soon bought my first cookbook, Chef Paul's "Louisiana Kitchen Cookbook", it had just come out and he was soon became very popular. I still routinely use many of his techniques and flavors. I use, and constantly recommend his seasonings. ( On a side note, one of my best friends and ex brother in law, who was our then first time prep/dishwasher became so inspired that he would go on to get a degree at Johnson & Whales and from that both of his younger brothers followed suite at J&W, now executive chefs for Four Seasons and Marriot as well as his nephew who is now a very talented young sous at one of the top 3 places in NYC.) Point is my love for the Chefs food goes way back and is deep rooted.

I have had many wonderful meals there but if K-Paul's is turning into an old gray dog,(she aint what she used to be) I can't recommend it. In fact its not even "good enough". There are too many wonderful, fantastic even, restaurants in NOLA these days. I really cant say enough about the amount of incredible restaurants there are in that town now. I say this because someone, everyone at K-Paul's needs to step it up. The flavors are still there but the love is gone. I spoke for a while one night with a sous who basically unwittingly said the quality of execution has slipped simply in favor of production. I should also mention that even the service is weak. On my last visit in particular, I literally had my entrée thrown on my table from a waiter that never even waited to see it land before leaving. It landed and slid to a stop in front of me, I was stupefied. Sadly, that night I realized I'd likely never return.

• Visited November 2012
Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
“Amazing Gumbo”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Best Gumbo we have EVER had - it was so good we could of licked the bowl clean. It was expense and our meal was good, but nothing to rave about. We got the German Chocolate Cake for dessert it was amazing - Get dessert & gumbo! I'd go back for the gumbo but the meal I think you can get at any good upscale restaurant in the city.

• Visited April 2013
Hollywood, Florida
“I like it..you will too...”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

well when I went to New Orleans with my friend, that was one of the first place he wanted to go to. He had eat their 20 years ago and he wanted to see if it was still their. My first experience of it was pretty good, I had the rabbit for appertize and it taste better than chicken...the price of the foods and drinks was pretty good. we had made reservation ahead of time, because it was jazz fest, week so its better to make reservation if you want to eat at the well-known place.

• Visited May 2012