“The Best”

Neighborhood: French Quarter
Memphis
“The Best”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was in the food industry for 13 years. I've dined at Begue's twice and was blown away both times, which is not an easy accomplishment. I am often overly critical. Sunday Brunch is the best meal I've ever experienced. I look forward to my next trip to New Orleans.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank msudawgs

PA, USA
“Brunch at Royal Sonesta - fantastic food, messy reservations!”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We ate here and it was one of the most delicious brunches I've ever had. Elegant atmosphere, good service and live music from the grand piano. I would go again in a heartbeat!

That said - verify your reservations if at all possible. We stopped at the hotel in person to make the reservations but were told they were only able to be made by phone which involved leaving a message with your request and information, which we did. We originally got turned away by the restaurant manager due to a lost reservation, but had great customer service after speaking with the front desk and the Food and Beverage Manager who worked to seat us when a larger party changed in size.

• Visited May 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Fifteen years ago, I thought the Sunday Champagne Brunch at Begue's was one of the finest dining experiences in NOLA. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. Apparently, Begue's is being renovated, so the brunch was served in a series of large connected ballrooms--no one's fault, certainly, but a disappointment nonetheless. The biggest problems were all service-related. The hostesses were totally confused, causing a long line and delay at the entrance, even though almost everyone appeared to have reservations. The dining and buffet serving areas were severely understaffed--lengthy waits for coffee and water refills, champagne, check, etc. Each of the three serving stations for the buffet was also understaffed, causing lines of diners waiting for their food at each station, even though the restaurant was only about 75% full. At one point, I waited through a line of about ten people to get the shrimp and grits. One server was handling this table, spooning out grits, then shrimp, then sauce, while also carving and serving ham--very inefficient. By the time I finally got to the front of the line, they had run out of grits and the rest of the food on my plate was getting cold. No one in my group attempted to try the omlette station because the line was always so long. For $45 per person, I can't imagine why the Royal Sonesta would not properly staff such a signature feature of the hotel.
As far as the food was concerned, some things were good (shrimp and grits, if you could get it, poached egg on bacon cornbread, loaded mashed potatoes, and several of the desserts) and some were not (dry oysters on the half shell, fishy tasting sushi).

Minden, Louisiana
“Best Sunday Bruch in N.O.”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We've been to numerous Sunday brunches in N.O. and elsewhere and this one is one of the best! Used to always go to KABBY'S before Katrina. The main things we like (other than the endless supply of champagne) are the frest fruits and salad options. Also, the boiled shrimp and cocktail sauce. Shrimp and grits (a must!) Sushi is great.....so manu items, we could not try them all. The atmosphere is great and we had the most wonderful, pleasant waitress ever... I almost hesitate to tell you her name because everybody else will request her, but her name is Ruthie.... be sure and ask for her!

• Visited October 2011
Washington State
“Everything was delicious”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Outstanding. We had the works here – barbecue pork, brisket, and ribs; red beans and rice, jambalaya, shrimp creole, and bananas foster. Everything was excellent and the staff works hard to make the service just as good. A great place for a nice dinner.

• Visited October 2011