“Finally, great food and great service - they are slowly changing my opinion of New Orleans”

Commerce Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 1,980 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Closed due to damage suffered in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I ALWAYS hated when New Orleans came up on my route list. I have always found New Orleans restaurant staff of all races and backgrounds to be rude, snobbish and apathetic. The race car taxi drivers cement this impression for me.

HOWEVER, everything changes when you walk into Commerce Restaurant. The first thing that happens when you walk through the door is the acknowledgement of your presence. "COME ON IN BABY...Sit anywhere! Miss JEAN! Get this young man some water!!...Miss Jean will be right with you baby!" I love these women. I went back the next day, and, my waitress from the morning before asked what I wanted. "I'll have what I had yesterday." (oops!) She stops in her tracks, slowly turns, and points a finger at me and says, "YOU THINK I REMEMBER WHAT YOU HAD YESTERDAY?!?! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE I'VE WAITED ON?!?!?" She stops ranting and begins to write and says (staring at her order pad), "4 scrambled eggs, two orders of potato's, and an extra side of bacon....right, baby?" I was dumbfounded. "Yes, ma'am."

Food comes out delicious and fast. It's tons of food. Suddenly I don't feel like my wallet has been molested. It's a lot of food for a good price.

2  Thank hardworkingtraveler

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I love diners and with such a high rating on TripAdvisor, I had to check it out. I was there when they opened at 7am on a Monday, and by the time my food came, about 10 minutes later, there wasn't an empty table in the place.

Service was what you would expect. Competent, but slow at times. I think there might of only been one server there (a second one came in as I was leaving).

I ordered the hot sausage, cheese and egg breakfast biscuit with a side of grits and coffee. The sausage had really nice spice to it, the biscuit was flawless and the grits were very buttery. What's not to like? Hunting down a decent breakfast in the Quarter/CBD can be tough since places often fill up so quickly. If I had to guess, I'd say one other table at opening were tourists, the rest looked like construction workers and cops having a hearty breakfast before work.

Don't let the run down appearance fool you, a trip to the Commerce Restaurant is worth it.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Love this little, local whole-in-the-wall. I agree with other reviews, you feel more like you're having lunch with family than at a restaurant. So inexpensive for the amount of food you're served, enormous portions. Wait staff is genuine and as southern as it gets. So kind! Great experience and can't wait to visit again!

1  Thank Allyy504
Reviewed June 26, 2014

After walking all over the French Quarter we drug our two tired boys into Commerce. The ladies behind the counter immediately ordered one of the servers to get our "babies" some water. From that moment on were like family that had come to their house for lunch. We made it a mission to try as many different versions of gumbo as we could and hands down, no doubt their chicken and sausage gumbo was the best we had! Delicious broth, large portions of meat with just a little heat. I wish I had an entire pot waiting for me at home. We got 3 po boys made to order. We shared a club, turkey and spicy sausage between the four of us and still had to take some home. The spicy sausage did not make it back to the hotel with us as it was devoured.
I really cannot say enough good things about this place. It's really what you want for a great New Orleans lunch. I just wish we had made it in the next morning for breakfast!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

This small diner has been serving patrons for nearly 50 years. It's longevity is a testimonial to their good food and hospitality. Food is ordered cafeteria style from the menu boards on the wall. Watch for the daily specials too! The entire staff is very friendly and helpful to new comers who aren't familiar with the set up. Red beans are excellent and the special comes with plenty of bread and a small salad. Add a piece of sausage for $1.50 and you got yourself a meal for $7.50.
The shrimp po boy had plenty of small shrimp and tasted good but were a bit rubbery. Seems that they precook a bunch and throw then in a chafing dish and use them as need be. Staff was very friendly and very attentive to refilling our drinks and clearing away our plates. They work hard so don't forget the put something in the tip jar.
Warning they are only open for breakfast and lunch and only on weekdays.